Indoor camera wont connect WiFi
2 2

18 posts in this topic

So I have been trying all afternoon to get a camera to work on WiFi. It worked fine before but after the cable company switched router information for the too manyith time I can't get it to connect. It works fine connecting via ethernet and the other camera works as it should on WiFi, but this one is really starting to annoy me. I have removed device too many times to count and have reset it half as many times. Any thoughts on what to do. I really am not in the mood to spend the rest of my evening on the phone with another tech support.

Guest Ferrismar

When I switched routers I had a camera that was just stubborn, did the same thing. I did the reset, left it unplugged, ate dinner, tried again and it worked. For some odd reason the hub wasn't forgetting the camera paring until I did the no power for a couple hours.

Hope this helps. 

I kept having problems with my outdoor camera.  If I ever turned it off and on, then it wouldn't connect, take sometines hours to connect or lose connection. The signal was strong, via checking with a NetGear app on my smart phone. Strange thing is I also replaced the camera and it did the same thing. Though not perfect, my indoor cameras, however, worked fine.  Irus help desk told me to get a WI-FI extender.  I bought a cheap WIFI exender on Amazon for $20. That also did not work. The WIFI extender showed a strong connection, even when outside. 

In the end I plugged the outdoor camera directly into the WIFI extender (bypassing the camera's wifi). Now I have no problem. Rock solid!

My hunch is that the camera's have a wi-fi problem, as the cheap wif-fi extender has no problem. 

So I have been trying all afternoon to get a camera to work on WiFi. It worked fine before but after the cable company switched router information for the too manyith time I can't get it to connect. It works fine connecting via ethernet and the other camera works as it should on WiFi, but this one is really starting to annoy me. I have removed device too many times to count and have reset it half as many times. Any thoughts on what to do. I really am not in the mood to spend the rest of my evening on the phone with another tech support.

If you are still experiencing this issue and have not contacted support for assistance, please send us a private message and we will help you troubleshoot. Thanks!

When your new router was installed was the SSID and your password copied over into the new router/AP? Did you have MAC Address Access turned On at all?

When I switched routers I had a camera that was just stubborn, did the same thing. I did the reset, left it unplugged, ate dinner, tried again and it worked. For some odd reason the hub wasn't forgetting the camera paring until I did the no power for a couple hours.

Hope this helps. 

Well unfortunately that didn't work. No I just need to make some time to talk with tech support I guess.

Couple of things you can try before doing a full reset:

1. When the camera is powered on and in wireless mode, has your router assigned it a IP and visible from the rest of the network?

2.  If not, plug in a ethernet cable and verify it comes up on your network.  Check the IRIS portal and reconfigure the wireless from there....

Just another couple of starting points...

Yeah when I add the camera to the portal it allows me to edit the wireless network information. It even plays video when connected via ethernet, but when I disconnect the cable and try to watch the camera it doesn't pull up the video. On the devices page it is listed as 'Searching'. The other indoor camera works fine on the same network.

... but when I disconnect the cable and try to watch the camera it doesn't pull up the video. On the devices page it is listed as 'Searching'. ...

I take the above to mean, you've removed power from camera, unplugged network cable, reapplied power back to the camera such that it starts up in wireless mode?

Can you ping the camera's IP address from your network after letting it boot up for about 5 minutes?

If you're able to perform the ping, in Devices->Camera page it should take you to the camera configuration page.  If you can ping the camera on your network and it still says "searching", or Devices->Camera page leads you to a "disconnected camera" page, then IRIS tech or a full camera reset is probably your best bet.  Sames goes if you can't even ping it even after setting up the wireless properties.

OK so here's the update/solution. I apologize in advance if this post is lengthy.

The first call to Iris this morning seemed to have resolved the issue. I moved to the camera to the hub and router to hard wire the connection. That allowed me to check my settings, Iris had me reenter my password and then disconnect the ethernet cable. VIOLA!!! the camera is working on WiFi. Call ended.

I move the camera into the original location in the next room, went online to check the camera position and no video feed. So I moved it to a different location in the same room, no luck. I moved to back to the router, hard wired it and success. So I relocated it into the original room, closer location to the router and no luck.

Moved the camera 5 feet (across an open foyer) and VOILA!! success. So now it seems like it is a WiFi issue.

I call Iris back, they check a few things and say everything looks fine on Iris' end. The Tech asks if I am using a dual band router and on the 5.0 GHz network, DING light bulb moment. The cable company has been messing around with our modem because we haven't been getting anywhere close to the speeds that we pay for and during such had changed our dual band modem out with a new one. 

The tech said it might possibly be an interference issue with all of the 2.4 GHz devices and to check with the cable company to see what we are on.

A phone call to the cable company resulting in a lot of information being repeated such as, this problem started when you messed with the modem, and trying to explain that all I needed to know was if we had a 5.0 GHz network. Finally they figured that out and I have a single band 2.4 GHz modem. So they are sending us back the dual band modem and hopefully that will resolve the issue.

...............To be continued

Guest Ferrismar

Huh, I thought the Iris cameras only used the 2.4 GHz band at least mine never saw the 5 GHz band as one is named "My house 2.4" and the other, "My house 5". I have several devices that can use the 5 GHz band and both show up on those.

Didn't you say you had another camera working just fine with your configuration? Just don't want you to get screwed over by "that cable" company :-)

Huh, I thought the Iris cameras only used the 2.4 GHz band at least mine never saw the 5 GHz band as one is named "My house 2.4" and the other, "My house 5". I have several devices that can use the 5 GHz band and both show up on those.

Didn't you say you had another camera working just fine with your configuration? Just don't want you to get screwed over by "that cable" company :-)

You are correct, they are 2.4GHz only.

Guest Ferrismar

Yes the other camera works fine, but it's in the room with the router. I just looked this up, https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/203845040-ZigBee-and-Wi-Fi-Coexistence, Maybe what he was meaning is that there is too much 2.4 GHz interference with the WiFi. 

IMHO opinion I don't think setting up a 5 GHz network through a dual band router is going to fix this issue, but I am not there and I am frequently wrong :-)

What I did to resolve a similar issue was to pace a wifi "extender" about 10 feet from the camera, I then re-pared the camera and changed the wireless to connect with that device. My second step was to go into the router settings and add all my cameras to the list of reserved IP addresses, this means that when a camera loses connection and then reconnects it is given the same IP address and no other device gets it.

Now the issue is that when the router goes down, power, signal loss etc, and comes back on-line the wifi extender has to be rebooted or the two cameras attached don't reconnect. I solved this by adding a Iris plug and can re-boot the extender using this.

I guess if you have a lot of devices that are 5 GHz compatible and they are not using the 2.4 GHz band any longer it could cut down on congestion on that bandwidth and this will solve the problem.

So I have an update. After waiting 2 weeks for the modem/router, I called the cable company to inquire where it was. Turns out the initial rep didn't know how to properly process the order. Rep #2 processed it correctly only to receive the same one that I currently have that needs replaced. So I decided to drive the 40 miles and talk to someone face to face and get a new modem. 

With a dual band modem in hand I returned home only to spend about an hour getting it to work. Finally getting to activate and send out a WiFi signal I removed and added the cameras. Did a test on them and problem seems to have been resolved.

I guess there must have been too much 2.4 GHz interference in my network. Let's hope it doesn't resort back.