New Hub On Lowes.com
4 4

51 posts in this topic

Do you know when the release date is?  I have this shine new hub and waiting for it to be used.  The Iris support told me it is supposed to be in October some time.  

Lowes and/or Centralite have pulled most of the information at the FCC with a release date for the information of 12/15/2015

Anyway my understanding you will no longer have a access through a computer web browser,  you will have to have a Android or Apple mobile app to manage everything. “

While it will not be an end of the world event to no longer have a browser UI but for many this will be a lost of a very valuable feature. There are many that probably purchased the Iris system because of this feature and since Lowes/Iris has known the lost of this feature for some time  it, it is not a good marketing move to yank it away on such short notice.

This will likely hit the fix income senior citizens really hard. Many do not have a smartphone and can not afford on their fix income the monthly data charges of a smartphone and internet access. Many will probably have to choose between a data phone connection vs. internet.

It is probably a cost issue for Lowes/Iris so it is probably understandable. But really piss poor execution on their part

If the web portal is pulled I will be a VERY unhappy camper.   It's the only way to actually control Iris that has always been reliable/responsive!!  

I still watch other systems as they mature. If Iris loses the portal that may be enough for me to move over to another platform.

Hope that new app is darn good. 

So, is there ANY hope of this new hub acting as an Apple Homekit bridge for us?  Even as a premium service requirement?  I already pay for premium, but would love to run my system through Siri on my watch.  I would be so happy.

Anyway my understanding you will no longer have a access through a computer web browser,  you will have to have a Android or Apple mobile app to manage everything. “

This will likely hit the fix income senior citizens really hard. Many do not have a smartphone and can not afford on their fix income the monthly data charges of a smartphone and internet access. Many will probably have to choose between a data phone connection vs. internet.

The iOS app would always also work on an ipod touch or an iPad, (I'm assuming the android app also works on andriod tablets) so technically you would still have some options other other than using a smart phone...

So you technically don't have to have both a data phone connection and internet connection. You can get a 2nd hand ipod touch pretty cheap.

Guest Ferrismar

Anyone else get an email about getting the hub shipped to them for free?  I just signed up for the "easy" transition.  I"m willing to wait a little longer for a more rock-solid product.  

Yes and same as you I am waiting for the "export / import" software to be ready.

I have been poking around... anyone notice if the new HUB can do wireless?  I hate that I have to plug it into my router.... :(

It is my understanding there is no wifi and the hub will have to connected via ethernet.

I have been poking around... anyone notice if the new HUB can do wireless?  I hate that I have to plug it into my router.... :(

The requirements for the new hub include "an open port on your router" so I expect that a wired  connection is still required.

Also in the requirements is an Android or IOS smart phone.   I would hate it if I had to do everything through my phone as someone suggested, but the features page says "Mobile-first approach"  not "Mobile-only" so I'm hoping I can still check status and videos from my desktop at work.

I was in my local Lowes and they too had out new hubs and motion sensors and contacts.  It seems kind of risky to sell those knowing they won't work.  There was nothing on the boxes letting someone know they would have to wit to use it.