Larger ecosystem of products that are compatible with Iris
New mobile App designed specifically for the new Smart Hub
Mobile-first approach with an updated and intuitive user experience
Create and manage rules and scenes directly in the mobile app
Increased speed & responsiveness between app and devices
Push notifications
Upload your own photos to personalize the experience
New “Favorites” bar for easier access to the things you use the most
Custom “Scenes” (previously Modes) let you easily control multiple devices with one touch
Simplified service offering including Care alerts as part of the Premium plan
 New Platform
New platform hosted on Microsoft Azure Cloud and fully supported by Lowe’s
More frequent releases of devices that work with Iris
Improved expansion capability enabling even more devices to work with Iris"

wonder if it's still a paid "subscription"? Since Apple won't allow any form of payment inside the app other than in-app purchase - they either have to have a website or make it FREE finally.

I would also like some kind of an API (REST for example)

wonder if it's still a paid "subscription"? Since Apple won't allow any form of payment inside the app other than in-app purchase - they either have to have a website or make it FREE finally.

I would also like some kind of an API (REST for example)

Yes, it'll still be a paid subscription. My local store already had the new brochures out showing the new hardware and service plans. No mentio of care in it however.

Yes, the Premium Plan is mentioned in the list above so paid will still be an option.

"Simplified service offering including Care alerts as part of the Premium plan" - that's good news.

Does not include a feature that is in SmartThings that would greatly improve Iris - Presence Sensor.  I want to be able to tell Iris that when I get within 5 miles of home (based on any family  member iPhone GPS) to turn on lights and heat/AC.  This would be a great feature to add - but I dont see it on the list above.  Disappointing.  

Does not include a feature that is in SmartThings that would greatly improve Iris - Presence Sensor.  I want to be able to tell Iris that when I get within 5 miles of home (based on any family  member iPhone GPS) to turn on lights and heat/AC.  This would be a great feature to add - but I dont see it on the list above.  Disappointing.  

Could be added. This feature is a "backend" feature.

Azure?  Really?  

They tend to have many more outages than AWS.... and a lot less functionality (I do lots of work within AWS)

When I got the hub email yesterday it was just an hour after AWS finished announcing their IoT platform...

I figured Lowes was using it when the new Iris was announced especially since their old platform was in the AWS cloud, now I'm kind of disappointed.

I wonder if they support integration with Apple's HomeKit and if there is an API to extend their functionality

It has to be a step up from what they have now as they are currently leasing dedicated servers from Rackspace.

Wasn't sure where / who the servers were. The biggest issue for me was Lowes actually didn't have control over the servers. Rather it was AlertMe and having to go through an overseas third party.

I don't see azure to be that big of a concern. They power applications for some very notable corporations including:
Mazda, GE healthcare, NBC, AccuWeather, 3M, Ziosk, Chilis, Bridgestone, United Airlines, Ricoh, and Xerox... just to name a few.

I hope they don't force me to upgrade. I subscribe to if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I really like the iris app in its current form. seeing a screen on a picture in the email giving out a free hub showing a updated if not hideous, flat designed app UI plus the fact I would hate to reconfigure everything for a new hub (it took a month just to keep it from constantly going offline! ) I can only pray this new hub is an option, not mandatory.

I prefer to keep things familiar and I have nothing against the design of the thermostat or any devices much less the hub, but them I'm old school so design isn't important as much as function

I bought some other home automation products as backups in case Iris died in the future. or if the hub disconnected again, LIFX are excellent light bulbs (and unlike the GE bulbs for Iris, actually fit indoor fixtures) and IVEE was neat until I realized the issues with being an early adopter of a Kickstarter product. sadly IVEE ($150, Best Buy) died a month after purchase.

I used to be on Windows 98 (had bad nightmares with XP years ago, and now I don't even use Windows) because it's familiar. but Windows 3.x would likely be more useful in a virtual machine these days. all browsers supporting Win3.x would not be capable of loading even this website.

I admit I do use Windows Vista on my MacBook Pro, only because I think OS X Yosemite looks hideous, meant for a child, and Vista looks better (I would use Snow Leopard, one of the best OS X versions, but my Mac is too new)