New Hub Details
3 3

85 posts in this topic

under windows and blinds 3 devices are listed:  hinge sensor, contact sensor, 1st gen contact sensor...

Yea, they've stated that everything will work, so i guess lets give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are either still building some stuff or it was just an oversight.

Wow, the new app looks great!  It's quite a change from what we have now!  I too wonder what scenes are going to be used for.  Can anyone tell if the app supports geofencing to change home modes?

Don't know for sure, but it doesn't look like it.  I wouldn't count on it, at least not initially.  They'll still happily sell you a gen 2 keyfob.

Don't know for sure, but it doesn't look like it. I wouldn't count on it, at least not initially. They'll still happily sell you a gen 2 keyfob.

I don't mind carrying a keyfob so it's not a big deal to me. It looks like the new fobs have 4 buttons so they could be a lot more useful than the current one anyhow. I guess we will have to wait and see.

My 2-cents for what it's worth, late to the conversation.  I'd expect that the reason we've all been given new hardware is this is their plan to sever ties to the old system.  Why else would a publicly traded multibillion dollar company give us a $50 retail hub for free? Maybe they've found that the bottom line is cheaper to send us the hardware rather than paying the old company to continue support?

According to this page my biggest gripe about the monthly fee may go away with the new hub.  It looks like devices like light bulbs can be scheduled to turn on and off with the basic plan.  That was the only additional feature I wanted included for free.  In my opinion all of the other features included in the premium plan made sense to me.  This one did not.  If that turns out to be the case I will have to drop all opposition to the pay plan since I will not purchase it and have nothing to left complain about lol.  I'd love to have the other rules or magic included for free but won't complain about it.

Windows 3.1?  How about just plain old DOS with Dual 5 1/4 inch floppy running on a 16 Mhz 8086 CPU and 512 MB of RAM? One floppy to boot the OS, then swap with a different floppy to launch the single application (Such as Word Perfect), and the 2nd drive only for data.  5 1/4 inch floppy was only for the rich back in the 80's.

An 8086/8088 could only handle 640KB of RAM. No more. An 8086/88 maxed out at 4.75MHz. A 286SX would be required to gain 16MHz.

I think floppy drives (dual, double sided, double density 5.25") were pretty standard. A high density (double sided, high density 5.25" or high density 3.5") and especially a hard disk were for the rich, as was a color monitor and video card