So far with version two point oh yeah
4 4

130 posts in this topic

I’ve spent some time today with the new hub and the core products which include the hub, motion sensor, contact sensor, keypad, key fob, smart button, care pendant along with some of the old devices like the wall switch, fan controller, tilt sensor, hinge sensor, shutoff valve and the core products of the old system.  All paired and were controllable.

First and foremost it’s fast!  When you toggle the smart plug, wall switch, fan controller or wall outlet it happens immediately, I mean like right now, absolutely no hesitation. This holds true whether you’re on high speed broadband or mobile internet.  There’s no difference between the two.  If you toggle a switch on or off as soon as you tap your screen it’s done, less than a second.

Care rules are now included in the premium package although rules in general are not yet complete as far as being on parity with the old system.  There’s a lot of work to be done here.  I’ve been able to play around with the rules that are present and it appears the old conflicting rule problem is history.  You can have two sensors control one device like motion sensor 1 turn fan on and motion sensor 2 turn same fan off.  Somewhere I read that instead of modes we will now have scenes but I’ve not found those in the app yet.

The new devices for the most part are smaller and the motion sensor has a tilt to the angle it’s mounted.  It looks like it may be designed to be more pet friendly.  Somewhere I read that if you mount it at a certain height you mount it with the angle up and at another height with the angle down.  The 4 buttons on the new key fob and the 2 buttons on the old key fob are customizable.  You can have each button toggle an alarm state or control a device or rule.  Contact sensors can be set to chime the keypad, hub or both.

The keypad is exactly the width of my Note 4 and 1.75 inches shorter.  It seems to have the same functionality as the old keypad but it reports temp and has a proximity sensor that illuminates the keypad when you wave your hand in front of it.  It also has a tamper switch on the back but I’ve found anywhere it’s used.

The audio on both the hub and keypad seem to be less than the older versions.

There are now push notifications and email and the push notifications happen instantly.

You can add an image to the home screen, any contact and any device.

Under the climate card there is a temp screen that shows all devices that report temp and their reporting.

It appears that you can replace the hub on an account without losing the devices and rules.

You can now remove a device from the app and it happens instantly.

Apparently there is no web interface at this time but after only spending a few hours with the app I’m not sure I really would miss it.  I like being able to add rules, add devices and the other functions that required the web based portal on the old system.

I’m sure there’s tons of stuff I’ve not yet discovered but just wanted to get the ball rolling for you guys to chime in as get your new system up and running.

Over the next few days I’ll continue to move my older devices over to the new hub and report my findings.

No matter how good the mobile apps are, not having a web interface is completely unacceptable.  

Google OnHub lacks a web interface. I think this will be a new trend, and while we may not like it, its not going to go away. Some brands may adapt for a while, but long term, specialized apps will be the way forward.

I felt the same way but am beginning to like it.

I too felt the same way, but the more I use the app the more I like it.  With its responsiveness and the ability to do essentially everything within app, I'm sure it won't take long to forget about the clunky web interface.  In it's current state the app is incomplete, but I like what I see so far and am looking forward to the addition of scenes and additional rules.

Here's a screenshot of a V1 7-Day Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat running on an iPhone.

The issue that I have with not having a Web interface is not being able to download videos to a desktop or laptop computer. One case when I had an Amazon shipment stolen off my porch, I was able to burn a copy the video of the perpetrator taking the package, walking up my stairs so I could provide the hight of the man all to my local police department. I don't like the idea of having to download on my mobile device and then transfer it to my hard drive for storage.

My hub and account is not on a beta team. It came from retail inventory and I created my account through the procedure in the market app.

No one else should experience anything different.

Ok cool! Just previous postings stated they could not get the hub registered. And it must be a soft roll out as there has been no "official" announcement from Lowes that the new hub is in service. A bit of confusion as Lowes/Iris is selling both versions at the present time. Kinda silly and could be time consuming for new users since version 1 is going to be history. 

No web access sucks.  I don't want to enter dozens of rules through my cell phone.  That's just stupid. :angry:

Wonder if they will have a work around to get video using a browser or maybe using something like Chromecast to get the video on your TV

I'm surprised NOT to see YET something on www.lowes.com page about IRIS. I would think if your going to promote a new product you'd want to let all your visitors know about it on your main page. Then have a LINK so new potential customers can read more about and maybe even purchase. 

They have enabled the new generation login page...logged in with the account i created to check out the app...there are three options in there:  Location, Invoices, Credit Card Info.  The second two are obvious..billing stuff, the first (location) you can click "view" and it gives you service plan options...basic or premium, primary or backup cellular service, and extra 1GB or 5GB video storage.  That's it...that's all i can find in the next gen web portal...

Did you notice any improvement in the range of zigby or zwave devices?

Not sure because I have not installed the devices yet except for 2 older devices, the shutoff valve and a tilt sensor.

They are located about 85' from the hub and there is no mesh whatsoever and they have remained connected and functional for the last 24 hours which is when I paired them.  At least the shutoff valve and possibly the tilt sensor are the older zigbee protocol  and the new devices are 1.2 and should work even better.