So far with version two point oh yeah
4 4

130 posts in this topic

Your devices all report as New Device 1 because when you paired them you didn't change the name at time of pairing.  Changing the name later on shows under devices but seems to have no effect on changing name in history/reporting.  I'm having a hard time believing how bad this is.

Your devices all report as New Device 1 because when you paired them you didn't change the name at time of pairing.  Changing the name later on shows under devices but seems to have no effect on changing name in history/reporting.  I'm having a hard time believing how bad this is.

This is an incorrect statement.  I currently have well north of 100 devices on V2 and I also had this problem even though I renamed each device during the pairing process.

Initially my history also reported New Device 1 but did in fact settle out after a few days and now reports each device by the description it was named.

I'm on the Android platform.

sorry if my information was incorrect.  I was going by my experience where the ones that I named during pairing were sticking and the ones I changed the name later were keeping their original device1 etc. names.

It appears to be a non-issue now as the latest hub updates seem to have alleviated the issue and the names change immediatley now.

My experience wasn't so good either although my issues weren't with the system already set up, but getting started. Also it deals with my stubborn inability to change attitude as well (and the new app is a hideous flat design with tons of wasted space and confusing menus, as well as hard to read, razor thin elements such as fonts and icons I'm convinced were designed by Fisher-Price)

My new hub. Well even out the box it looked very cheap, compared with the old one. Smells like cheap plastic too. Still no WiFi. Installed the new app, which gave enough instructions about hooking it up and doing that in sequence. I'd still like a description of what the lights on the hub actually mean because it would have saved me a migraine later.

The instructions sadly didn't tell me how long I should wait after plugging the hub in before telling the app to look for its ID. The first thirty attempts (yes, thirty) were met with 'hmmm something went wrong call customer support' and the hub showing one slow flashing green light and a constant stream of network activity from the router port lights.

Rebooted every time, re following the instructions just to be sure I didn't miss a step. Same result. Three hours later I gave no and just left the hub alone. Later it rebooted twice (did the flash pattern like when its plugged in) and then it is flashing the green light more rapidly. Tried the app again. Works! Light solid green.

It would appear that even without being paired to the app, the hub downloaded a firmware update before it could be found by the app. The slow flashing green seems to be a downloading or updating cue. The other flash patterns mirror what little I know about the old hub. But had these been in the insructions given by the app to begin with (as well as the various flash code meanings) it would have saved me tons of frustrstions and confusion later. It would help troubleshooting also to know what the LEDs mean. They're there for a reason so I'm lost on why some documentation still isn't included about them. Not everyone likes calling tech support and many are still intelligent enough to know how to fix things at home. I can certainly see this making many newbies return the system and hurt Iris as well.

Other than that it is faster, I don't use laptops anymore so not requiring a web site to configure magic rules is a nice change. It is indeed faster, and there is no five minute delay when opening the app before correct information is displayed (took two to five minutes for it to refresh for me). The app needs a ton of work. It should at least include the older UI which I found easier to read and use, but with the new features (allow the user to switch between the modern and classic) as well. Currently on a seven inch tablet the icons are very tiny, the fonts hard to read, I'm not sure what the frosted glass is meant for (other than reinvoking nightmares of iOS 7) and there's tons of empty space.

I do love the new key fob. It avoids needing the new app to control four things which about described what I needed the old app for anyway. It is better made (the old key fob got scratched very easily and the little chain broke off two days later). The only issue is having to remember what the symbols mean later. Having an icon for a light, fan, alarm, and such would have been easier or at least, having stick on labels of icons. I'm not sure what it is about shapes these days either (Android Lollipop turned the intuitive house, back arrow, and app switcher icons into a triangle, circle and square)