closet with pull string lights
1 1

13 posts in this topic

You will need a motion in the closet or door sensor and use rules in addition to the bulb. I would go with the connected bulb over the Everspring module but that is just me.  Set the door sensor or motion sensor to turn the light on for however minutes you would like when the door is opened or when motion is detected.  Make sure you turn the light on and cut the string as power to the bulb will need to remain on.

nice, thank you.  I ordered one to try out, like the price :)

I have a bunch of motion sensors around the house - problem is the cat sets them off - might as well  re-purpose them and slowly look for pet safe ones

Hopefully with the new hub and magic rules you can set an action on a open and closed contact.

nice, thank you.  I ordered one to try out, like the price :)

I have a bunch of motion sensors around the house - problem is the cat sets them off - might as well  re-purpose them and slowly look for pet safe ones

I agree on the price, but it's funny that we now think $14.00 for a light bulb is a good price. B)

Hopefully with the new hub and magic rules you can set an action on a open and closed contact.

I agree on the price, but it's funny that we now think $14.00 for a light bulb is a good price. B)

I thought there was already a magic rule for this?

I would love being able to script my own rules!

instead of a motion sensor,  I would recommend sticking a smart button to the wall where a light switch would naturally be.  Response is nearly instant.   New smart buttons look thinner too.

That is a good idea but you would still have the issue of kids leaving the light on.  I guess you could have the light come on for 5 or 10 minutes when the button is pressed though.

instead of a motion sensor,  I would recommend sticking a smart button to the wall where a light switch would naturally be.  Response is nearly instant.   New smart buttons look thinner too.

I have a light in a closet under the stairs which uses a pull string. The problem is that is where I pull power for a camera covering the front door. I used one of those

ceramic bases with the outlet built into the side of the light bulb receptacle. The string portion is cheap and difficult. A magic button would be great, but I need to

work out a way to keep power to the camera while controlling the closet light via string or switch. 

I have a light in a closet under the stairs which uses a pull string. The problem is that is where I pull power for a camera covering the front door. I used one of those

ceramic bases with the outlet built into the side of the light bulb receptacle. The string portion is cheap and difficult. A magic button would be great, but I need to

work out a way to keep power to the camera while controlling the closet light via string or switch. 

This is one of those cases where a connected bulb will solve a problem.  The power to the bulb would need to stay on all of the time powering the camera and bulb day and night.  You would then turn on and off the connected bulb with Iris using rules, your app or a smart button.