Possible Bugs with V2 hub?
3 3

22 posts in this topic

I have received my new hub and switched over.

I only have 9 devices, but it did not go what I would call well.

I removed all devices from old setup per instructions and killed the account.

I powered down all devices. I reset all devices. I then added devices one at a time.

Let me say that they all paired. My Schlage Touchscreen deadbolt would not work. It was in the screen, status was wrong and it just set when trying to lock/unlock. I removed it per app instructions, but it would not remove. I eventually had to force remove from the app. I reset the lock to factory again and repaired it. Now it was working as expected.

My locks and doors screen shows home - none and I device - offline, but all devices are present and functioning.

My 1st Gen Keypad shows itself as a media smart plug in graphic and information screen. Removed, reset, paired several times. It always shows as a smart plug. Tried pairing it as a smart plug and it worked also. It is now been reset and paired using keypad, but still shows as a smart plug.

I also have an Obit water controller that is used for our patio drip system. It paired and shows, but has no schedule options at all so it is unusable except for off and on.

Anybody else notice these things?

I have received my new hub and switched over.

I only have 9 devices, but it did not go what I would call well.

I removed all devices from old setup per instructions and killed the account.

I powered down all devices. I reset all devices. I then added devices one at a time.

Let me say that they all paired. My Schlage Touchscreen deadbolt would not work. It was in the screen, status was wrong and it just set when trying to lock/unlock. I removed it per app instructions, but it would not remove. I eventually had to force remove from the app. I reset the lock to factory again and repaired it. Now it was working as expected.

My locks and doors screen shows home - none and I device - offline, but all devices are present and functioning.

My 1st Gen Keypad shows itself as a media smart plug in graphic and information screen. Removed, reset, paired several times. It always shows as a smart plug. Tried pairing it as a smart plug and it worked also. It is now been reset and paired using keypad, but still shows as a smart plug.

I also have an Obit water controller that is used for our patio drip system. It paired and shows, but has no schedule options at all so it is unusable except for off and on.

Anybody else notice these things?

Are you pairing the devices within 10 feet of the hub?  I had the problem with the door lock but it was my fault for not having the hub within 10 feet when pairing it.  Once I put the hub into pairing mode beside the lock it worked perfectly.  Every other device I had problems with was because of the 10 foot rule from the hub.  I have over 50 something devices and once I used the 10 foot rule on my lock and some zwave switches in the garage, the pairing problems (unknown device) went away and everything paired fine.  One of my other post shows how to forcefully remove zwave devices from the new system that are stubborn.

The issue you're seeing with the 1st gen keypad showing up as media smart plug is a known problem and they are currently working to get this resolved. Even though it shows up as a media smart plug it still functions as a keypad.

The scheduling function for Orbit devices is not available yet so the only function you'll have is manually on and off. 

Thanks for the info guys.

I did pair in the 5ft mode or less. I did find something a little strange. If the hub was already searching it would sometimes add the lock, beep, and quit searching without the app ever seeing the pairing. Cancel search on the app and it would be there, but wouldn't work. Put the lock in ready pair mode and add then start the hub search and it worked every time. Don't know why the app wouldn't see the pairing the other way.

I switched over to the new hub yesterday.  I have 77 devices, so better part of the day.  Mostly straightforward, but with a few hiccups.  In large, I have been glad that I switched over.  However, I have found the following issues:

1. The GE outdoor module pairs fine, but when you go back in later shows "no connection."  Hitting the switch manually will result in Iris V2 finding it again - but only briefly.  This is literally just through the wall 5-6 feet away from the hub, so I know range is not an issue.  

2. GE/Jasco outlet behaves exactly the same way.  Iris shows "no connection" but hitting the switch manually will briefly show itself to Iris, before losing connection again.

3. The Sylvania floodlights only have on/off capability, and cannot be dimmed like they could in version 1 system (not a biggie, but I am hopeful this is in development or "coming soon" support.  

4. I have 2 Iris garage door openers.  I just cannot seem to get them to work or sense properly.  They show open when they are closed and sometimes the opposite.  I replaced the CR2032 batteries in both sensors, did the sensor reset procedure described here on the board (press and hold link button, manual open/close door 2 times).  I tried removing from Iris and re-pairing, but still the same behavior.  These things have been the most problematic of all the iris devices for me, and thus the most disappointing.

5. Perhaps I haven't figured out the right rule/scene combination - but is there anyway to have lights that come on when you open a sensor go off after a certain amount of time (if turned on by the contact sensor trigger, not if turned on manually at the switch)?  I liked this capability of generation 1 so that when entrance doors were opened, exterior illumination would come on, but then turn off after 5 minutes.

6. Is there any way to have alarm automatically arm when all FOBs have left, but then disarm when the first FOB arrives?  I used this functionality as backup on generation 1.  I would always turn on the alarm when I left, but my wife doesn't always remember to.  If she forgot when she left, after a few minutes of her FOB not being found by the hub it would automatically arm the alarm.  

7. On the first generation hub I had it set to go to away mode automatically once all FOB's disappeared.  When it went to away mode, it automatically turned off all the lights and armed the alarm.  I can't figure out how to get this accomplished on generation 2.  I created a scene that automatically locked the locks, armed the alarm, and turned off all the lights.  But I can't find a rule to activate this scene to accomplish this functionality.  

Has anyone else had any of the above issues, or have any suggestions/solutions that I just haven't thought of?  Thanks!

Scott

I switched over to the new hub yesterday.  I have 77 devices, so better part of the day.  Mostly straightforward, but with a few hiccups.  In large, I have been glad that I switched over.  However, I have found the following issues:

1. The GE outdoor module pairs fine, but when you go back in later shows "no connection."  Hitting the switch manually will result in Iris V2 finding it again - but only briefly.  This is literally just through the wall 5-6 feet away from the hub, so I know range is not an issue.  

2. GE/Jasco outlet behaves exactly the same way.  Iris shows "no connection" but hitting the switch manually will briefly show itself to Iris, before losing connection again.

3. The Sylvania floodlights only have on/off capability, and cannot be dimmed like they could in version 1 system (not a biggie, but I am hopeful this is in development or "coming soon" support.  

4. I have 2 Iris garage door openers.  I just cannot seem to get them to work or sense properly.  They show open when they are closed and sometimes the opposite.  I replaced the CR2032 batteries in both sensors, did the sensor reset procedure described here on the board (press and hold link button, manual open/close door 2 times).  I tried removing from Iris and re-pairing, but still the same behavior.  These things have been the most problematic of all the iris devices for me, and thus the most disappointing.

5. Perhaps I haven't figured out the right rule/scene combination - but is there anyway to have lights that come on when you open a sensor go off after a certain amount of time (if turned on by the contact sensor trigger, not if turned on manually at the switch)?  I liked this capability of generation 1 so that when entrance doors were opened, exterior illumination would come on, but then turn off after 5 minutes.

6. Is there any way to have alarm automatically arm when all FOBs have left, but then disarm when the first FOB arrives?  I used this functionality as backup on generation 1.  I would always turn on the alarm when I left, but my wife doesn't always remember to.  If she forgot when she left, after a few minutes of her FOB not being found by the hub it would automatically arm the alarm.  

Has anyone else had any of the above issues, or have any suggestions/solutions that I just haven't thought of?  Thanks!

Scott

1 = I have the Outdoor module and haven't had any issues with it.  It shows up all the time and operates properly.  It does show as a GE light switch though.

2 = Outlets are also working fine, I have my pool pump / salt system relay triggered with one and it has been working flawlessly along with the ones in the house

3 = My Sylvania flood lights have an off / on and a 8 oclock to 5 oclock dimmer circle around the light icon on all my bulbs so you just pull the dot around to where you want the dimmer level at.

5 = No there isn't a leave light on for so many minutes option yet, which is why I have some outside lights still on the old system.  One thing I am definitely missing

Maybe the devices that aren't working properly, unpair them and pair them withing 10 feet of the hub?  Might be the issue although I wasn't in the 10 foot range when I moved mine over and they worked fine.

As far as lights turning off you can create a scene to turn them on when a sensor is opened or closed and then in the energy rules set the light turn turn off after a minimum of 30 minutes up to 3 hours.

We definitely need a shorten duration on that rule.

As far as lights turning off you can create a scene to turn them on when a sensor is opened or closed and then in the energy rules set the light turn turn off after a minimum of 30 minutes up to 3 hours.

And the ability to restart the timer upon detection of motion

7. On the first generation hub I had it set to go to away mode automatically once all FOB's disappeared.  When it went to away mode, it automatically turned off all the lights and armed the alarm.  I can't figure out how to get this accomplished on generation 2.  I created a scene that automatically locked the locks, armed the alarm, and turned off all the lights.  But I can't find a rule to activate this scene to accomplish this functionality.  

Scott

I just wanted to update after having another day and a little more free time to tinker.

1. I unpaired and re-paired the GE Outdoor Modules.  As of a few hours later, one of them is still working perfectly.  The other keeps going missing, showing as "not connected."  I've unpaired and re-paired a few times.  Oddly, the one that shows working perfectly is in the basement, and the one that is problematic is almost directly below the hub on the first level.  I created a scene with this outlet that is "not connected" for turning it on, and another for turning it off.  I have them in my favorites.  The interesting thing is, using the scenes will turn it on and off perfectly, even though it shows "not connected."  For the time being, I am ok with this.  I can turn it on and off using the scene, I just don't have the ability to check the status within the app or control it from the "devices" widget.  I'm a little OCD, so I'm sure it will eat at me.

2. I unpaired and re-paired, several times actually, the one GE/Jasco outlet that I have.  It keeps going missing and shows "not connected."  I am able to use scenes to turn it on and off.  The fact that it works reliably this way is good, however, my OCD and perfectionist tendencies will probably gnaw at me.  

3. I pulled out my iPad today (I've been using the android app on a Galaxy Note 4 for everything so far), and found that in the iOS version of the app, the ability to set brightness of the Sylvania LED flood is there.  Guess this was missed on the android app.  Whereas the android app has worked fairly flawlessly for me (only a couple of force closes in what has probably been a several hours worth of tinkering), I was able to get the iPad to crash out pretty regularly, and only within a few minutes of using it.  

4. I didn't get the time to tinker with my garage doors today.  When I was leaving earlier, I did happen to take a look at the app before I closed it with the remote.  It was correctly reported open and hitting close worked.  I hope to play more with them over the next few days as work allows.

5. Thank you Scunnyngham for pointing out how to turn lights off after a specified interval of time.  I had not noticed the "Energy Monitoring" category for new rules.  It's not quite the same, but serves similar purpose to how I had used the rules on gen 1 for toggling lights on for set period of time.  I'd like a little shorter than the 30 minutes that is currently the shortest time frame offered, but it will do for now.  Hopefully more and shorter time intervals will be available as gen 2 evolves.  

6&7. I still have not found much functionality related to when FOB's leave and arrive.  There is a "Lock Up When I Leave" rule, a "Who Just Got Home" rule, and a "Who Left the House" rule.  Being able to have the doors automatically locked is a start, but I'd like to be able to have the alarm arm and run a rule to turn off all the lights.   I would think that if you can trigger a notification and lock based on FOB presence, that you should be able to trigger more rules or scenes based on FOB presence.  I hope that this is "coming soon" as gen 2 evolves!

As a side, one other problem that I discovered today, was the addition of PINs to the Schlage lever locks (I have 2).  I figured out that under the Doors & Locks widget, you use the access tab to be able to add the contacts (and their pins) which are added as + PERSON.  One of the locks would keep giving me an error message to try again later or call tech support.  I unpaired the lock, took it off the door, and re-paired it right next to the hub.  I added the contacts under access without incident that way.  I then put the lock back on the door and it is working.  For some reason, I think it is not consistently and reliably communicating with the hub from the location that its at.  There are plenty of other z-wave devices around it as well as farther away from the hub and through a couple of more walls.  

1 & 2. I'm having the same problem with a wall outlet sitting 2 feet from the hub.

3. That's very interesting. I also am using a Note 4 and I'm having crashes 30 to 40 times per day and have been since the app hit the market.  I'm beginning to think my problem is on the account side as I have a friend that used his wife's Note 4 without problems and I've used my wife's Nexus 5 with similar crashes.

4 I have two garage door controllers and they are working fine.

5 I also am hoping for shorter duration times.

6 & 7.  I believe presence for alarm settings will be in the Home and Family card to be soon released. 

Lock problems, I too am having the same issues.  I've been told that adding a person to the lock is the most data intensive operation on the platform. Like you, I also have many devices, over 100, and I believe the lock problems are a communication issue and hopefully being worked on.

This is main reason I don't move over any of my lights, motion, and contact sensors.

"6 & 7. I believe presence for alarm settings will be in the Home and Family card to be soon released. "

The Family card is now active but I don't see any presence settings. It's an important part of the V1 that I hope they transfer over. I'll add to the list v1 parity list

Unfortunately it seems like the presence based rules are still be fledged out; so far the only other one I know about is for the smart vents..... Wishing I had v1 hub and not a beta v2.

Agreed. I got my in laws an Iris system for Christmas because I liked V1 so much. Of course V2 just rolled out and I said I'll take my chances on it. Never have I had to apologize so much for a Christmas present.

If lowes doesn't slowly kill off v2 hub then I'm willing to bet that it will at least be as good as v1. The hub itself works good; it's just lacking in the features that v1 had. Still don't know why they released a new hub that doesn't have all the features that v1 had?

If lowes doesn't slowly kill off v2 hub then I'm willing to bet that it will at least be as good as v1. The hub itself works good; it's just lacking in the features that v1 had. Still don't know why they released a new hub that doesn't have all the features that v1 had?

Coming from a software developer background, I can tell you why; Christmas, and promised deadlines. I can't say for sure it happened like this, but often times deadlines are put in places that aren't quite realistic. In this case, I imagine they wanted V2 out for Black Friday and the Christmas season so they could sell more. It's usually not the development team's fault (they're probably working overtime and weekend at this point), but rather management having to deliver on a promise to corporate.

I will say, with how responsive the team has been, and how fast they are rolling out updates, I'm confident in another 3-6 months things will be solid. That being said, in that timeframe they will likely lose a lot of business due to unhappy customers.

The new hub is cloud based the old one was not. A cloud based system is suitable for automation but not for alarm use.

They will have to totally rewrite the hub firmware to get the hub to do alarm actions with the net down before its usable.

You cant even use the keyboard because it sends your key to the cloud and then sends a command back to turn on and off the alarm.

Your key isn't stored locally. Im suspecting that you cant even use smart buttons or panic if the net is down.