Contact sensor flashing many different colors
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I had a contact sensor disconnect on me so I removed the battery and reinstalled it. It reconnected, but now it constantly flashes all sorts of colors (pink, blue, purple). I did this a few days ago and it still continues to do this. Can anyone tell me what this means? It stays connected and appears to be working correctly. Moving the hub a bit closer seems to have corrected the disconnecting issue. I'm just concerned that maybe the sensor is trying to tell me something.

Never had that happen to me or heard about the different colors of flashing lights,Im guessing is some kind of malfuntion witht the sensor light that is not necessary affecting the senson funtionality...just guessing,....hope somebody else have the right answer,good luck  :)

I have had this happen.  Un-pair it from the hub.  Then reset the sensor by removing the battery and pushing the reset button while the battery is out to drain any residual current from the device.  Then while holding down the reset button while reinsert the battery and re-pair.  If that doesn't clear it up I would exchange it for another.

I had a contact sensor disconnect on me so I removed the battery and reinstalled it. It reconnected, but now it constantly flashes all sorts of colors (pink, blue, purple). I did this a few days ago and it still continues to do this. Can anyone tell me what this means? It stays connected and appears to be working correctly. Moving the hub a bit closer seems to have corrected the disconnecting issue. I'm just concerned that maybe the sensor is trying to tell me something.

Hello. We just wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue and are working to implement a resolution. You should be aware that this activity may drain your battery, making them fade quicker than expected.

Three of my 5 contact sensors did this, and have also had battery issues. I've only had the entire system for about a month, and we were surprised the batteries were so low right after we bought them. (The battery readings seem to change sporadically). They stopped blinking and worked well for a few weeks, but now one of the sensors has disconnected, and the battery seems to be dead. When I tried a different battery, it started blinking again and will no longer connect to the hub. This is so frustrating. 

I had one do this, and I don't see how it's an issue that the company can fix.  It did this right out of the box and the contact reads closed all the time.  It will pair but the light never goes on when the magnet is near.  The flashing lights finally stopped but it still always reads closed.  I had 4 of them only one did this.  It's obviously a malfunction.  If one out of four did this, and the other three are working perfectly, it's not a reset issue.  It's bad hardware.  Take it back. I bought a new hub and a couple of the safe security packages and smoke detectors last week and I'm giving it a couple months to see if all the bugs are worked out.  If not, I'm taking it all back.

I had one do this, and I don't see how it's an issue that the company can fix.  It did this right out of the box and the contact reads closed all the time.  It will pair but the light never goes on when the magnet is near.  The flashing lights finally stopped but it still always reads closed.  I had 4 of them only one did this.  It's obviously a malfunction.  If one out of four did this, and the other three are working perfectly, it's not a reset issue.  It's bad hardware.  Take it back. I bought a new hub and a couple of the safe security packages and smoke detectors last week and I'm giving it a couple months to see if all the bugs are worked out.  If not, I'm taking it all back.

It's not bad hardware.  It's a firmware issue that can be solved with an OTA update.  There's no need to return it.  Please reach out to IrisByLowes for help in resolving this problem.

I checked this particular contact sensor last night and it was no longer flashing. I notice now the app is telling me the battery is 0%. Does the hub notify you when a battery is dead? I'll have to test it when I get home. Maybe it's functioning, maybe not. It still shows a temp and that its been closed for days. Usually when a sensor disconnects, I get nothing.

It's not bad hardware.  It's a firmware issue that can be solved with an OTA update.  There's no need to return it.  Please reach out to IrisByLowes for help in resolving this problem.

A firmware update that only affects some contact sensors?  Is the update for the sensor or the hub?  How do you update the firmware?  I emailed irisbylowes 4 days ago about it.  I tried calling them and was on hold for 20 minutes and that was long enough for me.

rclark, did this ever get resolved?  I'm getting the light show from a motion sensor and a door contact after replacing batteries.  Maybe this is what they do while getting updates from the hub or something?  They reconnected immediately after the batter replacements.

ChrisSH, for me it did not get resolved but maybe to get the latest firmware to the sensor it has to be re-paired. I'm not really sure. The lights will eventually go out on their own after a few days. Of course that's gonna cost some battery power. But I actually attempted to do a reset/repair recently without first removing the device from the app. While attempting the reset/re-pair, I had brought the hub closer the the sensor so the pairing would have a better chance of success. But I had to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the hub. So the pairing did not work. But I noticed the lights went out and the sensor worked. So I just reconnected everything like it was(reconnected Internet, power). Long story short, since I did not remove the device from the app, it miraculously stayed paired and the lights went off. Not sure what to make of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope it sticks!  I ended up removing both the motion sensor and the contact sensor from the wall and door, removing them from the app, resetting, and re-pairing.  I also replaced both batteries while I was at it.  They've both been working now for over 24 hours, so fingers crossed.  It's nice to have 100% of my devices working again.

By the way--I'll post this in a follow-up to my question about this, but so you'll see it here, too:  Since I had to rip these off the wall and door, I decided to hang them again using these little 3M velcro adhesive squares.  That way, when I need to re-pair, I can just take them down, bring them close to the hub, and put them back up again.  Probably not ideal, especially for the door, but I think it will work fine.

multicolored lights will flash when you try to repair the contact sensor with the magnet in close proximity (shut position). To turn them off, simply open the door/sensor, and press the reset button on the sensor (pinhole)

If you remove the battery from the contact sensor and then put it back in the "flashy light thing" should go away.

I have had pretty good luck doing this, but sometimes I will have to do it multiple time before the flashing stops. 

multicolored lights will flash when you try to repair the contact sensor with the magnet in close proximity (shut position). To turn them off, simply open the door/sensor, and press the reset button on the sensor (pinhole)

I don't think that this is the only cause because I have awakened to flashing lights before and I know I wasn't repairing them in my sleep.

I found on another site that if you replace the battery in closed position it goes into demo mode and does this. Demo mode or not, I opened each door/window and replaced the battery and problem fixed.

I have returned contacts for this and still have other problems that make no sense, like a contactor closest to my hub disconnects and reconnects.... or a clear statement that says the smart plug is an extender also... Hundreds of dollars in this system and sooooo close to returning it all. Who is in charge of this division? 

On 7/7/2016 at 2:49 PM, AtomMaster said:

I found on another site that if you replace the battery in closed position it goes into demo mode and does this. Demo mode or not, I opened each door/window and replaced the battery and problem fixed.

I have returned contacts for this and still have other problems that make no sense, like a contactor closest to my hub disconnects and reconnects.... or a clear statement that says the smart plug is an extender also... Hundreds of dollars in this system and sooooo close to returning it all. Who is in charge of this division? 

This solved the multi colored light issues for me. Opened door removed battery and replaced. Lights stoped and closed door, everything back to normal. Been using these for about 12 months no issue up until this now but easily fixed with this information. Thanks