Avoid the new keyfob :(
5 5

40 posts in this topic

I agree with the above post. The fobs are cheep. I have one and dropped my keys from waist height and the damn thing split in 2. It hasn't worked right after.

To be fair, just about every time my wife drops her keys, the First Gen Fob splits & battery pops out.  Though just snapping it back together normally fixes it.

My wife and I have dropped our keys with V1 keyfob many times... causing them to come apart... and they still work great.
Once I tossed my wife her keys from a 2nd story mezzanine and she didn't catch them, hitting a hard wood floor. Both pieces of the fob and the battery went in 3 different directions. Snapped it back together and worked fine after that.

I know, I was just asking a legitimate question based on your post but really I was just jerking your chain, in fun.

I think you have a large system and with only two V2 devices. Would you mind sharing the device count and which V1 devices will not pair?

After several years of solid service, my girlfriend's V1 key fob needed to be replaced.  So I gave her my working V1 fob and purchased a so-called "Smart" fob (henceforth referred to as the "Dumb-Fob") .  The hub detected the Dumb-Fob easily enough and I changed the device name to something more relevant.  However, upon looking at the "Devices" list, I noticed that there was no device icon next to the listing and the details page showed 'Unidentified Device'.  So, I removed the device and attempted to re-pair it.  Unfortunately, I was unable to re-pair the device, despite numerous resets and hub reboots (both on my own and with tech support).  Initially, I found the Iris-produced re-pairing instructional video on YouTube and followed it.  The video stated to remove and re-insert the battery, then press any button 8 times.  I had already tried this, but did so again to no avail.  Tech support indicated that the battery may have been the culprit, however the battery tested fine with my tester.  After replacing the battery yielded no result, I exchanged the Dumb-Fob at my local Lowe's.

The experience with the replacement Dumb-Fob was exactly the same - only this time, tech support instructed me to reset the device by removing the battery and - with the battery still removed - press any button FIVE times (not EIGHT, as the video instructs).  The exact same result occurred as did with the first device: unable to pair.  In fact, despite the button backlights showing initially when the battery is seated, they never lit again despite multiple button presses.  Again, tech support suggested the battery but - luckily- this time, I had a fresh battery to test and that produced the same negative result.  It's not the battery that's garbage, it's the device that's garbage.

I was also curious about the disparity of button presses that tech support advised during both calls.  A quick check of the Iris support site revealed that the video states EIGHT button presses, but the written instructions state FIVE.  Seriously?  I asked tech support if there were any V1 fobs laying around (because those old things actually WORKED) but - of course - they didn't have any.  In the end, they just ended up sending me out yet another Dumb-Fob which will probably be just as useless as the previous two.

I'm really getting tired of dealing with this V2 garbage. 

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

I tried one and after I got the battery to maintain contact it seemed to work fine,  It would not do anything when I first go it and when I opened it to check the battery the tab fell out.  I was able to put it back in and spread it out so it would make contact.  It then worked for about 4 months. 

When it quit working I wasn't home and my wife decided to check the battery.  She later called and told me she could not get it to work.  When I got home and checked it I found that the tab was gone.  She had not noticed it fell out when she opened it.   We went back to where she had opened it and after a few minutes of looking around on the floor I found the tab.  I decided that it was ridiculous that I had to put up with that on a $20.00+ device.  So I took it back and got another one.  The tab seemed to be solid on the new one but it would not pair nor light up no matter what I tried.  I took it back and got my money back.

Since the V2 keyfob is such a POC, and the V1 keyfobs are no longer
available, has anyone found another fob which works with Iris?

I have one of each and no doubt some day I will need to replace one or both
so I'm looking for a replacements before its a need-it-now situation.

The Iris V2 fob looks identical to the Centralite 4-Button Fob so that is
probably NOT a choice for a reliable replacement.

https://www.centralite.com/products/4-Button-Key-Fob

Overall I liked the V1 fob shape and size better than the V2. Fits in my
pocket easier and of course no problems with the battery.

I just purchased a smart fob, because my day was going too good.  I tried pairing the device many times.  Every time it paired as New Device 1.  I reset and tried with iPod, iPhone 6s and an Android tablet.  Same result every time.  Checked the battery voltage and it was 3.038 volts.  I tested a new battery and it was 3.248.  Paired on first try with new battery.  I must be a glutton for punishment.