No Local Hub Processing When Offline HUGE BUG/FLAW
8 8

151 posts in this topic

This morning when I woke up my router was off line. My iris hub was blinking red. I pulled the router to take it back to the store and went to leave and could not disable the alarm. It wouldn't respond to the key fob or the keypad. For fear of causing the siren to go off I had to unplug and remove the batteries from the hub just to leave my house this morning.

So, if you lose internet iris stops working completely.

I'm curious if the system would have still responded to a triggered intruder alarm?   If it doesn't respond to that also then I'd be even more worried...   (IE:  Just have to disable the internet to completely render your alarm system deactivated.) 

Count me curious for the update on this! I originally purchased the Verizon USB only to be told by support that I should just send it back because they're working on a newer version of the cellular USB for the new hub. I was ok with that under the impression that in an outage, the hub would at least continue to function locally. Not so ok with it if a loss of internet access completely disables the system...

I have some bad news for you all, as it stands right now the system requires an always-on internet connection to function. There is no local processing as there was with V1, although I am told that is scheduled to be added in the future. This means that the alarm will not function when there is no internet connection.

I'm told that local processing and cell modem support are on the road map for the near future, but in the meantime if you don't have a reliable internet connection I would not recommend using Iris for security or fire protection use.

So the processing of everything right now is in the cloud? Wow, that is not quite what I expected. Also at this time there is no option to have a back up USB connection?There should also be a disclaimer about this On the Box!.

"If you have crappy internet, of which about 80% of the US has this may not work for you..." (I don't work for a marketing firm as you can tell)

It seems as though the Iris developer team didn't learn from the first go around and is having all the same issues with V1.

Also it would seem that the Iris team has a lack of planning or forethought?

Sorry for Iris bashing but this would have been a huge "feature" to be available first and foremost am I wrong?

I have some bad news for you all, as it stands right now the system requires an always-on internet connection to function. There is no local processing as there was with V1, although I am told that is scheduled to be added in the future. This means that the alarm will not function when there is no internet connection.

I'm told that local processing and cell modem support are on the road map for the near future, but in the meantime if you don't have a reliable internet connection I would not recommend using Iris for security or fire protection use.

This sounds like its a v1 parity issue then, moving post. Agreed it needs to be resolved ASAP.

Also updated title to match parity issue better.

Glad to hear your comment about cell modem support. I just posted asking about this yesterday! http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/1518-cell-modem/

Sorry for Iris bashing but this would have been a huge "feature" to be available first and foremost am I wrong?

I agree with you. A fire in the room with the router would be a problem!

Wow that is a huge step backwards in functionality...if they can't address that soon I will probably just move to another system.  My internet is pretty reliable but I use Iris as a security system first and foremost.   If a would-be intruder cuts my internet the system is useless?  Not good.  I like redundancy.  

This and other issues are partly why I have more than one smart home system (LIFX, Hue, Iris) instead of having all my eggs in one basket. Never liked the idea of a single point of failure (lessons learned from my IT days)

Iris reminds me of token ring networks. Lose the hub everything goes with it. If not for LIFX smart bulbs (which dont need a hub) if Iris drops I'm literally left in the dark as all my lights are smart now

Only needs a one word response. Wow.

However, I'll add some more. I have the alarm go off when the smoke/CO sensor goes off ( some of these are in areas I may not hear unless the actual alarm goes off, noting that yes,the individual smoke/CO sensor goes off).

It is really kind of ridiculous that this is the case.

Wow... so if you have a fire, you better hope that the smoke detector goes off before your modem, router, or network cabling burns up.
I have a closet that contains my modem, wireless router, networking equipment, and home media equipment.
I have all ideas that it may be one of the most likely places for a fire to ever start due to the number of electrical devices that could potentially malfunction.
Chances are, my network would go down before one of the smoke detectors went off. That's not good.

This is the main reason why I will not update our vacation home to v2.  I have v2 at the house, but I'm here to deal with the 'oddities' I just can't chance these kind of issues at a home hours away...

V1 is working just fine, I'll stay with that for now. 

Wow that is a huge step backwards in functionality...if they can't address that soon I will probably just move to another system.  My internet is pretty reliable but I use Iris as a security system first and foremost.   If a would-be intruder cuts my internet the system is useless?  Not good.  I like redundancy.  

I noticed your stuff for sale. What new system are you looking into?

@IRISbyLOWES    can we get some feedback on this topic please?

When can we expect our hubs to work when the internet goes down?????

Agreed.  Right now Iris cannot be relied upon for use as a security or safety alarm system.  Cell backup and local processing are both standard requirements that must be met. Professional monitoring is going to be nice when it comes but it's going to be nothing more than a false sense of security without these two necessities.