No Local Hub Processing When Offline HUGE BUG/FLAW
9 9

151 posts in this topic

This is a pretty big screw up.  I'm not an Iris basher, and until the last couple months I was a huge advocate.  This system is currently on my "do not recommend" list.  It looks more and more like I'll be staying on V1 until they pull the plug on it.  Yay abandonware!

My wife is going to murder me when she finds out we have thousands invested in a system that can be completely disabled, both locally and remotely by cutting our cable line coming into the house.

Is there a system out there that does do local processing?  If there is, I'll need to start looking into how many of my devices will work with another system.

Although it is not quite ready yet, wouldn't the cellular backup take care of this?  Yes, it is another $5 per month.  But a lot of people have added it just as a backup even with Gen 1.  At least it's a cheap way to buy some time until you could find something else.

Although it is not quite ready yet, wouldn't the cellular backup take care of this?  Yes, it is another $5 per month.  But a lot of people have added it just as a backup even with Gen 1.  At least it's a cheap way to buy some time until you could find something else.

Yes, but there's a limit of how much bandwidth you can use (if I recall correctly, it's 20mb for primary, and 5mb for backup?). Not saying it would or wouldn't work, just saying I don't see it as a viable workaround if you constantly are viewing your cameras.

Is cellular working yet?  Last I knew this was on the "not functioning" list.

"Yes, but there's a limit of how much bandwidth you can use (if I recall correctly, it's 20mb for primary, and 5mb for backup?). Not saying it would or wouldn't work, just saying I don't see it as a viable workaround if you constantly are viewing your cameras."

Oh yea, I had forgotten about the limits.  Sounds like it would be a temporary answer anyway, since he seems to be leaning away from Iris.

"Is cellular working yet?  Last I knew this was on the "not functioning" list."

I have not heard that it is ready yet.

I absolutely loved Iris V1. If there was parity with V1, I wouldn't even consider moving. Internet outage, with no option of a backup, completely disabling everything is a total deal breaker. I'm going to ride V1 until there is parity, or until they shut it down with no parity. 4 months ago I was one of the biggest iris fans/zealots around. I talked my boss into putting into his vacation home. A couple weeks ago he asked me about it again, and I told him Iris is a no buy right now. He's waiting to see, but unless they fix the local processing problem, it will stay a no.

I agree on some level, as I have serious internet problems where I live.  I am less concerned with the security alarm than I am with all of my rules and schedules ceasing to function every time the internet goes down.  At least with Gen 1, all schedules and magic ran as set up

This needs to be given immediate priority in my opinion. Since they cannot seem to fix the bug with hubs disconnecting until being reset it raises the need of this to a critical level.

SmartThings offers local processing with some limitations, I believe custom device handlers still run in the cloud at this time. That platform isn't without its issues and users frequently report platform updates breaking things just like Iris. ST is way out in the lead right now in terms of functionality so bringing this feature and cellular to market now would be a boost to reliability and usability.

The silence on this thread from IrisbyLowes is making me nervous. :unsure: I had big plans with my tax return and new iris devices like the pet door and when released the lg smartthinq hub....but I will not invest anymore knowing this may not get fixed.

Either Abode or Blink + Nest.

Assuming you mean wink? Quirky went bankrupt don't know if I would invest in that system. Manufacturer purchased wink but it is unclear what the intention is, run it to the ground as is or continuing support

T

This morning when I woke up my router was off line. My iris hub was blinking red. I pulled the router to take it back to the store and went to leave and could not disable the alarm. It wouldn't respond to the key fob or the keypad. For fear of causing the siren to go off I had to unplug and remove the batteries from the hub just to leave my house this morning.

So, if you lose internet iris stops working completely.

This is because its based on the cloud based Smart Things hub. When asked Smart Things said they saw no reason to not be cloud based. Basically because they were not selling alarm systems.

A cloud based system is not a replacement for the old IRIS hub which was not cloud based. It responded to the server but its local server handled operations with no net access. Basically the design is a old UK system and predated cloud based systems.

In order to fix this and duplicate the existing hub they would have to totally rewrite the software in the hub. But can the new hub take the larger code?

centralite makes iris 2 they also make the smartthings hub neither have proper offline processing. kinda disapointing reading this after purchase, o well...

Yea and when customers complain on the smart things website they say they see no need to add it and that the hardware cant even support that.

This is a pretty big screw up.  I'm not an Iris basher, and until the last couple months I was a huge advocate.  This system is currently on my "do not recommend" list.  It looks more and more like I'll be staying on V1 until they pull the plug on it.  Yay abandonware!

My wife is going to murder me when she finds out we have thousands invested in a system that can be completely disabled, both locally and remotely by cutting our cable line coming into the house.

Is there a system out there that does do local processing?  If there is, I'll need to start looking into how many of my devices will work with another system.

If your old hub wont work I recommend buying another one off of ebay to get back to v1

Wow... the silence on this issue from Iris is really making me nervous.
From what I am reading smartthings has this same issue, and they are saying it is a hardware limitation and can not be changed?
That is NOT GOOD. I bought this for the security features primarily, which iris seemed to put a strong focus on in their marketing. If this is "the way it is going to be" it could be a nail in the coffin for iris.
Smart things might get away with this because they have not tried to market their system as a security system, but Lowes sold us our iris systems on a different premise.

I hope this is something that can be fixed, but the fact that Lowes has not addressed our concerns yet is not a good sign.

Wow... the silence on this issue from Iris is really making me nervous.

From what I am reading smartthings has this same issue, and they are saying it is a hardware limitation and can not be changed?

That is NOT GOOD. I bought this for the security features primarily, which iris seemed to put a strong focus on in their marketing. If this is "the way it is going to be" it could be a nail in the coffin for iris.

Smart things might get away with this because they have not tried to market their system as a security system, but Lowes sold us our iris systems on a different premise.

I hope this is something that can be fixed, but the fact that Lowes has not addressed our concerns yet is not a good sign.

I hear you, but Lowe's has announced it will offer monitoring, so I would think they are going to fix that.  I mostly started with Iris for the home automation, but I have thought about using the security features as well.  I won't, however, until that is corrected.

Offering monitoring doesn't change the fact that simply disconnecting the network - be it for whatever reason - makes the whole thing a brick.

Honestly, it's useless when the Internet connection isn't there.... Useless

Not at all what I want - not just for security, but also to monitor and automate heat / water / fire / smoke - whatever in a vacation home.

Seriously, this is a major issue.

Offering monitoring doesn't change the fact that simply disconnecting the network - be it for whatever reason - makes the whole thing a brick.

Honestly, it's useless when the Internet connection isn't there.... Useless

Not at all what I want - not just for security, but also to monitor and automate heat / water / fire / smoke - whatever in a vacation home.

Seriously, this is a major issue.

I was agreeing with you.  What I was saying is that if they are going to offer monitoring then they intend to go after the security market even harder, so I would think this is something they will need to address.

I've gone all in with the security system, although I agree completely with everyone on this thread.  My three wish list items for security are local processing, auto reconnect when my internet goes down (I understand this one is in the works to be fixed), and backup reporting via cell.

I've gone all in with the security system, although I agree completely with everyone on this thread.  My three wish list items for security are local processing, auto reconnect when my internet goes down (I understand this one is in the works to be fixed), and backup reporting via cell.

Pretty sure iris already reconnects, lost internet due to a down pole and iris came back when it was repaired

I've been testing remote rebooting of a remote hub by powering off both the Internet connection and the hub and has yet to reconnect.

How are you shutting down the internet? Killing the router or the modem?

Pretty sure iris already reconnects, lost internet due to a down pole and iris came back when it was repaired

It's hit or miss here, when I reset my router it usually reconnects just fine however when something changes in the cloud or there's an outage it goes down and never reconnects.  I gave the hub a static IP assignment which has not made any difference.  My belief is that this is a cloud-handoff issue where they are using some kind of DNS (live DNS/round-robin) assignment of the cloud servers which is not getting properly communicated to the hub, because the local router is not honoring the Time To Live records, and handing off stale records.  Just a theory.