No Local Hub Processing When Offline HUGE BUG/FLAW
9 9

151 posts in this topic

It's hit or miss here, when I reset my router it usually reconnects just fine however when something changes in the cloud or there's an outage it goes down and never reconnects.  I gave the hub a static IP assignment which has not made any difference.  My belief is that this is a cloud-handoff issue where they are using some kind of DNS (live DNS/round-robin) assignment of the cloud servers which is not getting properly communicated to the hub, because the local router is not honoring the Time To Live records, and handing off stale records.  Just a theory.

I think its the Iris have issues reestablishing or renewing IP with the dhcp. If your willing to try swap the iris IP to static/manual see if that clears it up.

I hope the v2 is based on or similar to the second version of smartthings that has offline core features not the first Gen smartthings that was strickly online only.

I hope the v2 is based on or similar to the second version of smartthings that has offline core features not the first Gen smartthings that was strickly online only.

It is, and local processing is on the road map. It can't get here soon enough either!

It's hit or miss here, when I reset my router it usually reconnects just fine however when something changes in the cloud or there's an outage it goes down and never reconnects.  I gave the hub a static IP assignment which has not made any difference.  My belief is that this is a cloud-handoff issue where they are using some kind of DNS (live DNS/round-robin) assignment of the cloud servers which is not getting properly communicated to the hub, because the local router is not honoring the Time To Live records, and handing off stale records.  Just a theory.

I think its the Iris have issues reestablishing or renewing IP with the dhcp. If your willing to try swap the iris IP to static/manual see if that clears it up.

Looks like IrisUsers has already tried using a static IP address. Still no luck. Mine went offline Monday during lunch time and never came back.

Looks like IrisUsers has already tried using a static IP address. Still no luck. Mine went offline Monday during lunch time and never came back.

yea I realized that after, I was watching the Superbowl when I posted that. I wonder if we should start a thread with our setups, strange how some have issues and others do not.

yea I realized that after, I was watching the Superbowl when I posted that. I wonder if we should start a thread with our setups, strange how some have issues and others do not.

That is interesting.  I have very few of the problems that I keep seeing on here.  I have 2 systems of varying item numbers, ~30 and ~60.  The version 1 at work has the ~30 and version 2 at home has ~60.  Maybe listing the setups would help narrow some of the problems?

Offline processing is one of the largest things still missing in my opinion. 

Agreed.  My V1 system won't have the security portion (or likely any of it) turned over until there is local processing for the alarm components or they shut off V1 on their end.

I don't care if they even ship my gen 2 hub until they fix this problem.  No point in having a security system that is completely defeated by going to the cable pedestal in front of my house and cutting the line.  It's like a bad movie, only totally real.

Agreed.  My V1 system won't have the security portion (or likely any of it) turned over until there is local processing for the alarm components or they shut off V1 on their end.

I don't care if they even ship my gen 2 hub until they fix this problem.  No point in having a security system that is completely defeated by going to the cable pedestal in front of my house and cutting the line.  It's like a bad movie, only totally real.

I think this is a little overblown, If a would be robber has the foresight to disable the internet before entering a home pretty sure they are smart enough to defeat other portions of a security system.  Where I live its either drug addicts or dumb kids breaking in.

I think this is a little overblown, If a would be robber has the foresight to disable the internet before entering a home pretty sure they are smart enough to defeat other portions of a security system.  Where I live its either drug addicts or dumb kids breaking in.

Oh cool, so it's only drug addicts and dumb kids that will be getting into your house when the alarm isn't working.  That's fortunate I guess.  I really don't want drug addicts or dumb kids getting into my house.

I deal with the results of drug addicts and dumb kids breaking into properties regularly. (Insurance Claims) They cut the phone/internet wires at the side of the home often when breaking in.  Those guys talk, they tell each other how to get in without setting off alarms.  It doesn't take a whole lot of brains to say "cut the wires at the side of the house" or "lift the small green plastic cover by the light pole and cut the wires".

There's a huge difference between "defeat the alarm:", "turn off the alarm " and "alarm never went off".

Bottom line is this - anytime the communication link is interrupted the only thing that should be eliminated is the act of notifying you that there is an issue.  Everything else should continue on - be it monitoring, automation, whatever.  It should not disable the whole mess. 

I like others have a unit set up in a second home; one that is hours away. It's as much for automation controlling extra heating as needed, access to the house, security lights, water heater and what not as much as it is to actually serve as a security system - monitoring doors and windows and movement for the time I am not physically there. It's why I bought the thing to begin with. 

Once this issue is rectified, I'm all in v2 will work.  I've had it at the house for several weeks now and other than a few hiccups it's been fairly stable. So again, once the ability to 'stand on it's own' is addressed, I'll swap the vacation home over. 

I believe Iris has a bright future but I am also a realist. In its current form V2 should not be used for home security because the reliability and stability just is not there yet. The lack of local processing and no communication (cell) backup make for a fatal combination that relegates Iris as a security solution to nothing more than a novelty at the present time.

Oh cool, so it's only drug addicts and dumb kids that will be getting into your house when the alarm isn't working. That's fortunate I guess. I really don't want drug addicts or dumb kids getting into my house.

I deal with the results of drug addicts and dumb kids breaking into properties regularly. (Insurance Claims) They cut the phone/internet wires at the side of the home often when breaking in. Those guys talk, they tell each other how to get in without setting off alarms. It doesn't take a whole lot of brains to say "cut the wires at the side of the house" or "lift the small green plastic cover by the light pole and cut the wires".

There's a huge difference between "defeat the alarm:", "turn off the alarm " and "alarm never went off".

Not sure where you are a insurance agent but there are many articles to back up my previous claim

From cnet

"The most likely burglary scenario by far is the unsophisticated crime of opportunity, usually involving a broken window or some other kind of brute-force entry. According to the FBI, crimes like these accounted for roughly two-thirds of all residential burglaries in the US in 2013. The wide majority of the rest were unlawful, unforced entries that resulted from something like a window or a garage door being left open. The odds of a criminal using technical means to bypass a security system are so small that the FBI doesn't even track those statistics"

I'm not saying local processing isn't needed, its a added feature, I'd be more worried about a hacker getting into and disabling the system sooner then a thug cutting the internet.

But the reality is theses types of wireless systems are primarily designed to protect against the sort of opportunistic smash-and-grab attack that makes up the majority of burglaries

Not sure where you are a insurance agent but there are many articles to back up my previous claim

From cnet

"The most likely burglary scenario by far is the unsophisticated crime of opportunity, usually involving a broken window or some other kind of brute-force entry. According to the FBI, crimes like these accounted for roughly two-thirds of all residential burglaries in the US in 2013. The wide majority of the rest were unlawful, unforced entries that resulted from something like a window or a garage door being left open. The odds of a criminal using technical means to bypass a security system are so small that the FBI doesn't even track those statistics"

I'm not saying local processing isn't needed, its a added feature, I'd be more worried about a hacker getting into and disabling the system sooner then a thug cutting the internet.

But the reality is theses types of wireless systems are primarily designed to protect against the sort of opportunistic smash-and-grab attack that makes up the majority of burglaries

Not an agent.  Claims.  Agents and Underwriting are all theory and sales.  I', the guy you call when things actually happen.

Your quote from Cnet doesn't say anything about V2's issue.  V2's issue is not using "technical means to bypass a security system".  A pair of wire snips is not technical means, it's smash and grab.  It's exactly what V1 was great at working against.

I'm with IrisUsers on this, if they fix this HUGE blind spot in V2, I'll be all in.  Until then, it's not a security and automation system.  It's a toy.  I don't need a toy, I have a toddler, I've got plenty.  I'm just glad most of my devices will work with another system if local processing isn't fixed.  I'd prefer if it was and I can stick with Iris.

I'm not even sure how they can pretend to offering monitoring until this is fixed.  How do they expect the monitoring company to know there is an issue if the hub just stops talking to the outside world, and is incapable of reacting locally?

I got a UPS for the hub and modem/router. We get fairly frequent brief power cuts. It will at least keep my internet and IRIS system going for a while if the power cuts, or is cut. Won't help if someone cuts the Internet at our house.

Even if they get local processing added I wanted to stretch out how long the system would stay up for anyway.

I'm not sure why there is a recent debate on this forum about this. I guess there always has to be naysayers on any topic. This is clearly a step (or two) backwards and makes no sense. Not only is the alarm portion used for security, keep in mind that it can also be used to expand notification (to other alarms or controls in the house) of other safety issues as well such as fire or carbon monoxide or water (turning on lights, turning off main water line, etc). Is it foolproof? No...but it would be less foolproof if the system didn't stop working just because it can't connect to the internet.  Internet goes out often (if you have comcast). This issue is not overblown. It's an oversight of the developers and of Lowes when they decided to change to something else and they are offering less than originally promised and even supplied.  They should tread carefully in our litigious society.

According to this article, 1-in-5 burglars admit to cutting phone lines before breaking into a home.
http://www.ackermansecurity.com/resources/blog/study-3-sneaky-techniques-burglars-use-to-break-into-your-home

So with iris v2, your alarm will sound during 4 out of 5 break-ins.

If you look at the attached PDF, this information was gathered 4 years ago.
I would think, as alarm systems become more accessible (and are increasingly internet based), this practice will increase (and probably has). I would also think, if you have a sign in your yard or stickers on your doors and windows, it increases the likelyhood that the lines will be cut.
How many guys do you know that DON'T know where the telephone and cable lines are on the side of a house? In fact, in my area phone lines aren't protected very well and most of the time at least partially exposed. It's really easy to walk by and grab it and yank it out of the box. Alarm systems traditionally used telephone communication so this would be a logical step to take, and if you have DSL they just took out your internet connection too. For cable modems, all it takes is a simple snip with with some wire cutters... It literally takes seconds...
A lot of crackheads (sorry to be so blunt) work as electrician's helpers and other construction jobs because they rarely drug test... Its one of the few places they can find employment. For this reason they often have quick access to the tools needed (which aren't really anything special), and are often very familiar with phone and cable lines.

Well technically all they said was they realize it's important but didn't really say they were definitely going to do it.  I would feel better if IrisbyLowes gave some kind of time frame in which it will be accomplished, even it it were the ambiguous "sometime in the near future."