No Local Hub Processing When Offline HUGE BUG/FLAW
9 9

151 posts in this topic

I'm in desperate need of this feature, I just moved, and it's going to take them a week to get the Internet turned up at my new home, so for this week I no longer have an alarm system

Yeah I'll be straight with you, don't expect it to be released this week. This is likely something that will be at least a month if not several months away.

Yeah I'll be straight with you, don't expect it to be released this week. This is likely something that will be at least a month if not several months away.

Yeah, I don't expect it to be.    you would think that if you have to be online to be able to do anything, they would have made the 3G card a higher priority.

I don't think it's coming. I really feel Iris is moving more toward automation and less in the direction of home security. I bet there is a slight repositioning of the Iris strategy with all the other players entering the industry. Why else would they address automation features first?

yes but none of that national monitoring company will matter if the burglar cuts your internet, or your power. the company (and you) will not know about anything to sound the alarm until it is too late. what am i missing here?

I guess that's the reason they just contracted with a national monitoring company and are getting ready to roll out live monitoring.

I am very excited for the monitoring. I currently have mine monitored but it is a less than perfect method and I'm paying 20$ just for that. Huge huge win for Lowes!!!

Monitoring will include cellular backup.

yes but none of that national monitoring company will matter if the burglar cuts your internet, or your power. the company (and you) will not know about anything to sound the alarm until it is too late. what am i missing here?

I suggest you talk to someone who has worked robbery for any length of time. Ask them how much time elapses from a monitored signal drop to an executed LE dispatch or tone. You may not write so confidently....

I am actually well aware of the time having worked as a dispatcher, LE officer, firefighter and now being in charge of safety and security for a school district. There is no perfect solution. Internet based alarm systems/transmitters are about 50% faster at relaying information. I agree... Local processing is important and will hopefully be coming. But cellular backup will allow that to happen even if power and Internet are cut.

Yes you are right, you can not fix stupid, and you are a perfect example of stupid if you believe that without local processing the nationwide monitoring will have any effect. If i buy a ADT system, and i cancel their service or my internet/phone is cut, guess what happens both situation? My system still works and alarms me. I am not saying Iris isnt moving in the right direction with a national monitoring company, and i like the idea of cellular backup, but if you think those items replace local processing, you are misinformed.

I recently had a false alarm that looked suspicious so I called 911 and had an officer dispatched, he was able to get there before me (within about 5 minutes) and everything looked good from the outside. When I arrived we walked through the house and after determining that it was a false alarm he asked me about the iris system. I started telling him about all the ups and downs I have had with it... I mentioned the possibility of signing up for the monitoring and his response was "man, you'd be a fool to waste your money on that".
I looked at him puzzled, and he went on to explain that he has to do paperwork on all the incidents where he is dispatched. He said that when there is an alarm monitoring company involved, they have to provide a detailed report about the event to the police. He said you would be furious to see the typical delay between the time the monitoring service receives the alert, and the time 911 logs the call. He said that, by doing self monitoring and calling 911 myself, I can have someone dispatched and on site MUCH faster than with a monitoring service. His opinion was that monitoring was completely worthless unless it was a silent alarm and they thought they had time to completely wipe you out (not knowing they had set off an alarm). He said he has seen many times when homes were basically cleaned out before they even received a call. He said self monitored systems were absolutely the way to go in his opinion.

We have a local alarm and monitoring company that is very dense in this area, so it is possible that these delays are mostly isolated to this one company, but he made it sound like it was pretty common.

With iris you have the ability to do both. But what happens if you aren't in the position to receive an alert or view the alert coming to your phone. In the middle of the night I want to know that an automated response will also happen.

Best practice.... Even with panic buttons, alarm systems etc. you always call as well.

And you don't think the monitoring service will notify you if your system is offline?

Will they?  Do you know that?  v2 is a flat-out debacle and it's foolish to assume that they will do anything just because it would seem to be common sense.

Not everyone has reliable Internet service.  I have a hard time believing that a monitoring service is going to make a habit out of rapidly notifying someone every time their Internet goes down.  I know for a fact that I'd be getting a call in the middle of the night at least once a month.

More importantly, what good is that?  Your supposed security system is quickly and easily rendered completely useless - a pointless lump of plastic and metal sitting on a shelf.   It will sit quietly without so much as a beep or a bloop while all your earthly possessions are stolen and you're a 100 miles away wondering what's going on while your Internet is down or your power is off.  Good job, IRIS.

With the state of the system right now the notion of paid monitoring is laughable.  A monitoring service is only useful if they're going to call the police or fire if the owner can't verify that there isn't a problem.  Anyone with a monitoring service on IRIS v2 as it stands today is going to get hammered with charges for false alarms.  Unless they can fix this mess in a hurry they're walking into another debacle.

You can't fix stupid.

Do you really think it's appropriate for an Administrator to be calling a member stupid?

The people at Lowes have done a lot of stupid things in this transition.  It's just foolish to assume anything about what they're going to do at this point.  

One suggestion for those of you that self monitor... Look into obtaining your dispatch center's direct emergent number. Use that 7-10 digit number in place of 911 when calling in something for home when you are not there. It rings to dispatch just like as if you call 911 standing in your home. This is applicable if you live in a large urban area with multiple dispatch entities. If you call 911 from work and you work in a different dispatch district you'll be routed to the dispatch center serving the patch of land the cell tower your hitting sits on. You'll have to be transferred to your home district or they will have to relay the reqi to your home district. This will add several minutes of delay either way. Just some food for thought.... We're all in this mess together.

Monitor all you want, but no service if disconnected from the internet is trash. I used to respond to alarms and warned people if they continue false alarms then the dept will place a DO NOT RESPOND on your location and your alarm will just become a noise maker. Can't even tell them that now, cause the stupid thing won't work without an Internet connection.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk