No Local Hub Processing When Offline HUGE BUG/FLAW
9 9

151 posts in this topic

You can't fix stupid.

If you're not near your phone or its off, how you gonna get a notification. Don't say on your house phone. Most people now a days have VOIP. To many trying to make a 1 star system work. Like most others, I have too much invested to simple scrap the system. But lowes will pay off my mortgage is I have a break and their crappy system fails to alert, with all the connects and disconnects.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

The DOS attacks directed at DNS servers the past few days have me thinking that local processing may be needed more times than expected.

Yesterday here on the East Coast and again today reaching some sites on the WWW has near impossible. This site is running slow for me yesterday and today, but other sites that I know are hosted on the West Coast are running normally. Looking at some outage maps the DC area, NYC, and other places in between (close to me) have been experiencing problems.

So my thoughts are that these type of attacks though not directed at Iris servers could still cause problems, some of which could be mitigated with local processing.

Another consideration is that the botnet was created using devices such as webcams, HA hubs, tablets, and other so-called 'smart' devices (I read even a 'smart' toaster {why even make such a device] showed up in the list of devices taken over by the botnet) that belong to homeowners and others, not just computers (desktops and laptops). These were turned into bots that flooded a target IP address with requests which overload the target server and prevent it from responding to legitimate requests.

So I hope that Iris developers are looking at this closely and improving the security on our hubs so they can not assimilated into a botnet in the future for two reasons.

1. If the device has the majority of its cycle time taken up with attacking a target address as part of a botnet, then it will have little time to respond to commands by the owner or to react to events that should trigger an alarm such as a fire or a break-in.

2. If the hub is shanghaied and becomes part of a botnet even local processing will be impacted once it exists (hey, I can dream can't I?)

So while we all want more features and local processing and a host of other great things, let's keep the security of our systems as the number one priority. And I don't need to hear details on what is being done, but it would be nice to know that there are people whose sole purpose is to look at the security threats that come from outside the Iris system and potential security issues that could inadvertently be created by software changes.

I could be wrong but I thought the bulk of the devices that were taken over were those that had default admin passwords. So many people buy things and don't make sure they change the admin password from the mfg which leaves them open to attack. But sometimes mfgs leave a back door into the devices that you don't know about and can't protect yourself from.

I heard that too and yes its part of this problem but a problem that everyone needs to address when they bring new equipment online. Just can't take the easy way out and leave the default passwords which as you point out many people do and the hackers are taking advantage of. As these attacks prove its not only your own equipment that is threatened by not changing the passwords from the default.

Here's a real time outage map just for Comcast.

http://downdetector.com/status/comcast-xfinity/map/

This thread is getting OT so I will not post any more here concerning network outages.

I will test this when I get back home. I didn't want to wake the neighbors. Also, with the hub unplugged and batteries removed I hope the hub doesn't reset or lose the pairing to all my devices. If that happens, its going in the trash.

That's what just happened to me. Now I can't reconnect anything. I have a dozen useless devices, and a HUB that is basically a glorified doorstop. Junk. Soon to go in the trash. V2 was the ruin of an otherwise good system.

How long has it been since we had an actual, substantial parity issue addressed?  I see new products getting added and "stability fixes" and things, but unless it just didn't apply to me I don't recall ANY of the major parity issues we all have concerns with being addressed in the last year.  Has this forum slowed down so much because people are just beginning to accept that it will never happen?

I was sticking it out because I couldn't really afford to migrate to something else, but I'm seriously considering researching other options even if I have to finance new components.  I can accept that change is never easy but we're talking lopping off an arm here, not changing your shirt.

What if there were a bigger picture for local processing we don't know about and it's taking longer to perfect?

This sounds like you know more than you can tell.

Those darn NDAs are a bugger, aren't they?

What if there were a bigger picture for local processing we don't know about and it's taking longer to perfect?

Ok, that's cool. Silence from Lowes and other parity issues is not a good thing to keep what remains from a PO'ed V1 user base.

It took a forum member working hard to develop a website for folks and that finally got Lowes to speak about that.

And what if the Cubs finally won the World Series.....oops they just did.

Tier 2 support called me about the petdoor ticket today, months later.....apologized for losing my ticket and comped a month service for the error. 

I asked him some questions about local processing while I had him on the line and he said "I just got out of a meeting earlier and its in the works, probably will be in the new year"

I hope this is a good lead...sounds good anyway! Maybe local processing will be released on Xmas with as a Santa tracker update! 

It took the Cubs 108 years of trying before they succeeded.  It may be 2124 by the time that IRIS attains parity.  I'm glad IRIS is my toy, and Vera is my Home Automation. 

Should we really even expect parity at this point? They are more concerned with adding new features and products and making those items just barely function under certain cconditions then they care about parity. Who cares about making customers happy, or positive app reviews in the app stores. 

I keep saying this but almost all the negative reviews I see share the same basic complaint, their alarm now does NOT do what it used to. We want parity. A huge eco system of products doesn't matter if you have a reputation of not supporting them very well or dropping support for them, or worse yet your customers already to uncomfortable with your business decisions so far to buy anything else anyways. 

Personally at this point I haven't bought anything, and won't buy anything that can't be used with Smart Things. This is would essentially be my exit strategy. I really like my Iris system, but Lowes needs to kick this into high gear. 

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Offline-processing/idi-p/107

Iris
Community Manager
yesterday

Status changed to: Investigating

We know this is an important feature and has been on our backlog. Our first step will likely be to integrate this into security and safety services, as that's an important use case for the feature.

11 minutes ago, Terk said:

Our first step will likely be to integrate this into security and safety services, as that's an important use case for the feature.

I would not have a problem at all if local processing only showed up for the alarm system first. It's not a big deal if I can't control my lights, water my flowers, change my water heater temperature, or get alerts when people come and go, while my internet is down... it IS a big deal if a simple internet outage completely silences my alarm system.
That's the real complaint here!