Abode
1 1

33 posts in this topic

The Abode hub may not be able to distnguish between thermometer and open/close function on the same item. I believe the v2 contact sensor paired and self identified as a temperature sensor. I had to manually change it to a contact sensor. I wonder if the hub is able to run the smartplug because it ignores the energy consumption function.

Abode is having a holiday sale on starter kits, service, and accessories.

https://goabode.com/black-friday-deals/

Figures.  I just ordered some additional accessories earlier this week.

Abode did an update this month that finally added the automation feature that I need to replace IRIS for the bulk of my home automation and security.  Automations can now trigger on motion detectors and a new occupancy sensor.  Abode automations still lag IRIS but security features are rock solid and connecting to other systems both through direct integration (Nest, Alexa) and IFTTT opens up a lot of possibilities.

Last weekend I finally swapped out all of my security sensors and keypad and moved my security functions over to Abode.  I was able to repair my GE switches, smoke detectors, and Yale lock under Abode as well.  One thing I've noticed about Abode is that I seem to have a lot fewer connection problems.  Devices stay connected.

Abode automations still haven't caught up with IRIS in some respects but it's good enough in most of them.  I still have a few IRIS automations running.  Abode door/window sensors aren't as weatherproof so I'm awaiting on a promised outdoor gate sensor to replace a couple of those.  Motion sensors cost twice as much so a few automations I did because I could get $20 motion detectors will have to wait.  My cameras are still running on IRIS but when I'll probably move them over to Zoneminder and then eventually replace them with something else.

I use abode for my primary security also. I also use it for most automated lights and outlets ( ie: xmas lights, coffee pot, vacation or just daily lights). I have 2 streaming cameras both hard wired and one continually disconnects, while everything else is rock solid. I have more than 30 hikvision IP cameras around my property which constitutes my main camera system hooked to an nvr with 8 TB of storage. I have one smoke alarm on abode, several leak sensors, kwikst door locks and the new occupancy sensor. 

My Iris system still handles all my watering in the greenhouse as well as my thermostat, water softener, water shut offs, some basic smart plugs, and my iris cameras. It also has been pretty stable as of late. 

I'm pleased with Abode although I would like to see some type of battery status and it work with more devices such as water shut offs and hose end controllers. The range of the system is at least equal to Iris as I have components in both my greenhouse and shed, each about 100ft away from the house and have no connection problems. My hubs are in my attic. 

I think the systems are somewhat neck and neck in the race for best system but time will tell who develops fastest and best!

I'm pleased with Abode although I would like to see some type of battery status and it work with more devices such as water shut offs and hose end controllers. The range of the system is at least equal to Iris as I have components in both my greenhouse and shed, each about 100ft away from the house and have no connection problems. My hubs are in my attic. 

I think the systems are somewhat neck and neck in the race for best system but time will tell who develops fastest and best!

Agreed that battery status would be a nice addition for Abode.  While they have some work to do on direct integration with some components the IFTTT integration works very well for non-critical automation and integration with other components. I'll be using IFTTT to integrate with a new thermostat since I'm not a Nest fan.

My experience has been that range is better on Abode.  Everything I've connected has been rock solid without random disconnects that sometimes occur on Iris.

I feel like Abode is better for security and still behind on automation.   I expect they'll surpass Iris in automation soon enough.  I've been very impressed with their responsiveness in fixing issues.  Twice now I've posted notes about bugs with clear instructions on how to reproduce them - in both cases they were fixed within a couple of weeks.