Abode
2 2

44 posts in this topic

The Abode hub may not be able to distnguish between thermometer and open/close function on the same item. I believe the v2 contact sensor paired and self identified as a temperature sensor. I had to manually change it to a contact sensor. I wonder if the hub is able to run the smartplug because it ignores the energy consumption function.

Abode is having a holiday sale on starter kits, service, and accessories.

https://goabode.com/black-friday-deals/

Figures.  I just ordered some additional accessories earlier this week.

Abode did an update this month that finally added the automation feature that I need to replace IRIS for the bulk of my home automation and security.  Automations can now trigger on motion detectors and a new occupancy sensor.  Abode automations still lag IRIS but security features are rock solid and connecting to other systems both through direct integration (Nest, Alexa) and IFTTT opens up a lot of possibilities.

Last weekend I finally swapped out all of my security sensors and keypad and moved my security functions over to Abode.  I was able to repair my GE switches, smoke detectors, and Yale lock under Abode as well.  One thing I've noticed about Abode is that I seem to have a lot fewer connection problems.  Devices stay connected.

Abode automations still haven't caught up with IRIS in some respects but it's good enough in most of them.  I still have a few IRIS automations running.  Abode door/window sensors aren't as weatherproof so I'm awaiting on a promised outdoor gate sensor to replace a couple of those.  Motion sensors cost twice as much so a few automations I did because I could get $20 motion detectors will have to wait.  My cameras are still running on IRIS but when I'll probably move them over to Zoneminder and then eventually replace them with something else.

I use abode for my primary security also. I also use it for most automated lights and outlets ( ie: xmas lights, coffee pot, vacation or just daily lights). I have 2 streaming cameras both hard wired and one continually disconnects, while everything else is rock solid. I have more than 30 hikvision IP cameras around my property which constitutes my main camera system hooked to an nvr with 8 TB of storage. I have one smoke alarm on abode, several leak sensors, kwikst door locks and the new occupancy sensor. 

My Iris system still handles all my watering in the greenhouse as well as my thermostat, water softener, water shut offs, some basic smart plugs, and my iris cameras. It also has been pretty stable as of late. 

I'm pleased with Abode although I would like to see some type of battery status and it work with more devices such as water shut offs and hose end controllers. The range of the system is at least equal to Iris as I have components in both my greenhouse and shed, each about 100ft away from the house and have no connection problems. My hubs are in my attic. 

I think the systems are somewhat neck and neck in the race for best system but time will tell who develops fastest and best!

I'm pleased with Abode although I would like to see some type of battery status and it work with more devices such as water shut offs and hose end controllers. The range of the system is at least equal to Iris as I have components in both my greenhouse and shed, each about 100ft away from the house and have no connection problems. My hubs are in my attic. 

I think the systems are somewhat neck and neck in the race for best system but time will tell who develops fastest and best!

Agreed that battery status would be a nice addition for Abode.  While they have some work to do on direct integration with some components the IFTTT integration works very well for non-critical automation and integration with other components. I'll be using IFTTT to integrate with a new thermostat since I'm not a Nest fan.

My experience has been that range is better on Abode.  Everything I've connected has been rock solid without random disconnects that sometimes occur on Iris.

I feel like Abode is better for security and still behind on automation.   I expect they'll surpass Iris in automation soon enough.  I've been very impressed with their responsiveness in fixing issues.  Twice now I've posted notes about bugs with clear instructions on how to reproduce them - in both cases they were fixed within a couple of weeks.

Think i am going to migrate to abode. 

I have 

9 Contact Sensors 2 are v2 remaining are all v1

2 v1 motion sensors 

1 old Radio Thermostat version 

1 GE Fan Switch 

1 GE Light Switch

1 GE Outdoor plug 

1 utilitech siren 

Keypad V2 

Anyone know if all this will connect? I know the GE switches will. 

Other than the GE switches and plugs, I don't think so. The siren maybe.  At least one unsupported siren pairs with Abode and shows up as a switch that can be turned on with an automation to trigger in an alarm.

3 hours ago, nrc said:

Other than the GE switches and plugs, I don't think so. The siren maybe.  At least one unsupported siren pairs with Abode and shows up as a switch that can be turned on with an automation to trigger in an alarm.

Thats what i was afraid of. Thank you for replying! 

Put my Abode system online last Thursday night. Here is a quick overview of how it went. I bought the Iota package with additional devices. Total of 19 devices.

Unboxed and followed install directions of power up and hook in to Ethernet cable on router. All devices in Iota pack came pre-paired. Installed app and web ui and followed directions. Entered my wifi info and it connected. Proceeded to locate Iota where I wanted it. I am running it wifi for ease of placement. If you go with the Gen2 Hub it must be connected via ethernet cable. 

Went around and paired all my Iris V2 smart plugs to system. No problems. Tried to pair my IRIS V2 door contacts and they came up as temp sensors only.  This was stated somewhere else but I thought I would try it anyways. I then proceeded to install the door contacts that came with the Iota pack (1) and extras I had bought. Installed with no problems. I then factory reset my First Alert Smoke/Co Detectors and added them into the system. No problem. I then added a keypad, motion/lux/temp sensor with no problems. You add devices very similar to how we did with Iris. I then added a few lighting schedules and a few CUE programs. I spent around 3 hrs from start to finish and not rushing and eating dinner in the process so it really went smooth.

My initial view - Easy setup, nice app and wui, program is easy to use and customize. System 2 is set to arrive Monday and I will be ordering systems 3 & 4 this weekend. 

Thank you Lowe's for treating us as valued customers.

Quick update. Have had Abode system up and running for a few days now. No problems at all. My 2nd system came today so I will be setting that up tomorrow as it is snowing and I don't feel like driving cross town tonight. I have 20 devices connected at location #1. All the IRIS V2 smart plugs work. I was able to get my Utilitech Siren connected using the CUE program. It pairs as a switch so I had to do 2 programs to turn it on during an alarm and off in standby mode. I saw on some sites users complaining (imagine that!) about their CS response time but they have been very responsive to my few questions. The system is very user friendly but does lack a user forum like IRIS has/had. There is a Reddit forum that they are on that is ok but their own would be better. I am spoiled from IRIS!! They do have an updated device list that is supposed to be coming next week that adds 30 + devices to lineup. 

Installed 2nd system last night. Smooth install. This was at my parents who are 87 and 83. They love the system. Its nice that it is very similar to IRIS. We set up security items and some lighting schedules and a few CUE automations along with getting Alexa connected so they are back in business for bringing lights on outside of schedules. For ease of install and use this system is great!  Am now awaiting arrival of 3rd system which should arrive early next week. So far Lowe's has paid for all 3 systems and will most likely cover the 4th with some left over. Your goodwill effort has kept me as a customer!!

Now have the 3rd system up and running.  Once again very easy install. No problems.  They released an update this week that brought up the number of approved devices to 75. You can go through the IFTTT program link and that opens up another 200 + options between devices and programs to use. My 4th system is due for delivery tomorrow. All systems so far have been the Iota but the 4th will be the Gen2. So far very happy with systems. They also have a March Madness sale going on and will give you a IRIS discount code to use if you email them.

One final Shout Out to Lowe's. Thank you for taking care of your customers! My Visa Cards covered all 4 new systems and even had some left over. I took care of a little plumbing project with that and picked up what I needed at LOWE'S.    

Now have 4th system up and running. This was a Gen2 system. Setup went smooth. No problems. Have had no issues with any of the systems. I have been so pleased with systems that I just purchased a 5th system for a lake house.

It's been an interesting couple of months since the announcement. I'm sure like myself we all have discovered systems and options out there that we didn't even no existed!  Hope everyone has found a system that works for them. Good luck to all moving forward!

Replaced IRIS with Abode. Have the IRIS (Centralite) water/temp sensor. When i joined it it appeared as a temperature sensor and does show the temp in the devices listing.  Placed it in water, it lit BUT no report to the Abode ap. Any way to get the water sensor connected? Also, how often will the temp be reported?  

I have the Radio Thermostat CT-101. Is there a way to pair this with Abode so that i can control/change temp settings using the ap like i did with IRIS?

Just installed 6th system. Have put in 4 Iota's and 2 Gen 2's. Am about half for security only and the other half of setups use quite a bit of HA. The CUE automations work great once you get the hang of using it. Biggest shortcomings are lack of ability to monitor multiple places from 1 account and their camera options are lacking. Have had no connectivity issues and there are plenty of devices you can add into the system.