Garage Door Parity
2 2

22 posts in this topic

A garage door is a door, however it is not listed as one under the options to allow a chime when a door is opened or to add the garage door to the list of devices that trigger an alarm. I believe these were options in v1 and should be added as options to v2.

I purchased the Iris GDO... and I expect it to work in v2 as it did in v1. Thanks for the sugestion, but I don't want to buy and engineer something in addition to what I already have. I can't imagine this would be hard for the developers to implement.

I purchased the Iris GDO... and I expect it to work in v2 as it did in v1. Thanks for the sugestion, but I don't want to buy and engineer something in addition to what I already have. I can't imagine this would be hard for the developers to implement.

Now that's just crazy talk.... you expect the same functionality in v2 as v1?   You are obviously expecting wayyyyyy too much.  That's like when you upgraded from windows xp to windows 8, and realized the start menu was gone.  You are expecting the new version to be better than the previous?  (by the way, windows 10 has the start menu back, duh)

The Genie controller is not allowed by Genie at this time as an alarm device.  No GDO controller is currently available as an alarm device. On the roadmap is to enable the Linear GDO as an alarm device but I'm not aware of any timeframe. 

I have a tilt sensor in my garage door and it definitely can be used to trigger the alarm.

But only if you buy the separate tilt sensor. The Garage Door Controller has a tilt sensor built in and this one triggered an alarm with v1.

I know there are alternate suggestions for a "fix" above, however, the dropbox link does not work for me.

What does work for me in V1 (and this may be a repeat of the hidden fix) is to use regular door contact sensors at the top of each garage door.  They work just fine, and indicate whenever the garage door is open.  Nothing fancy, just works.

I also used contact sensors before the tilt sensor became available but I would occasionally have the door move just far enough horizontally in the tracks the sensor would not activate. I also had two on each door, one on the bottom and one one the top so I could get an alert when the door both opened and closed.

In V2 we now have the option to alert or control a device when a sensor is either opened or closed so this eliminates a 2nd sensor on a door if you want to use it for these purposes.

I know there are alternate suggestions for a "fix" above, however, the dropbox link does not work for me.

What does work for me in V1 (and this may be a repeat of the hidden fix) is to use regular door contact sensors at the top of each garage door.  They work just fine, and indicate whenever the garage door is open.  Nothing fancy, just works.

What the picture at the link shows is a contact sensor attached to a 2 1/2" door hinge which is attached (with the long axis horizontal) to the garage door.  Then the magnet for the sensor is attached to the door itself,  When the door is open (ie: overhead) the weight of the contact sensor pulls the hinge open, pulling the sensor just far enough away from the magnet to trigger.  Works like a charm.

Am I imagining this or did door switches chime on open AND closed.

So you could hear how long a door stayed open or verify it got closed

after opening.

As it is now you can only set to chime when opened unless there is a

setting I have not found other than in Doors & Locks --> More. That's

the only place I have found to set the chime function.

Same goes for tilt sensors used on garage doors. I'd like to know the

garage door closed after the wife leaves for work since its not visible

from anywhere in the house. That way my garage is not open to the

WX or unwelcomed guests of the two and four legged varieties.

Humm, I could have sworn my shop door which I had set to chime would

do so when opened and again when closed. I didn't have tilt sensors with

my V1 hub.

Chime on motion detection would be a nice add too. Right now I have a rule

for the motion sensor on the porch to pop me a notification when it sees

activity. That way I know if a package arrived or someone is coming up to

the door before they even hit the smart button/doorbell.