Iris Q&A - Submit Your Questions Here
6 6

37 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! We hope you've been following us on social media and seeing all of the exciting things that are happening around Iris at CES this year. We want to invite you to be part of the conversation by joining a Q&A on January 14th at 2pm EST. This thread will be open until Sunday, January 10th, for you to submit questions you have about Iris. Our Technical Director, Jason Rogers, will be answering your questions during the live session. Please know that we will answer as many questions as we can, but may not be able to provide an answer to each question submitted. We will record the live session and post it in the forum, so you will be able to access it even if you cannot attend the live event. 

Thank you in advance for your participation - we look forward to hearing from you all!

You can join the Live Q&A Session with Iris Technical Director, Jason Rogers, at 2pm EST using this information: 

Call-In Number: (888) 989-4717

Participant Code: 54950

IrisByLowes! Thanks for opening up and accepting questions from us all.

I do have a few that I would like to know the answer to:

1. For those who had previously bought Iris Gen 1 components that can't be handled by Gen 2, will there be a way to exchange those? (For context, I had previously bought a cellular modem for Gen 1 that I've heard will probably not be Gen 2 compatible. Even if this is not the case, it would be nice to know).
  2. As we all know, the release of Gen 2 hasn't been as smooth as we'd like to have hoped. What's the roadmap for bug fixes and parity, and can we continue to expect such level of responsiveness that we've been getting thus far with Gen 2? (For example, bug fixes have been quick, you all have seemed receptive to feedback and even have implemented some of it, etc)
  3. Do you have any job openings? :)

Thanks!

Guest Ferrismar   
Guest Ferrismar

When will the V2 Hubs with the conversion tool be ready or shipped or a status by Lowes other than the normal, "it will be there soon", be sent to customers? In-other-words, when can I expect my hub?

When will the V2 Hubs with the conversion tool be ready or shipped or a status by Lowes other than the normal, "it will be there soon", be sent to customers? In-other-words, when can I expect my hub?

Ditto. I bought my in-laws the V2 right when it came out in stores (we didn't know just how unstable the system was at the time), while my wife and I had V1 and elected for "ship when migration is complete". It's a bit disheartening to hear that those who selected "send it to me as soon as possible" still haven't gotten their hubs. What does that mean for us who said we'll wait? It's been 3 months, and probably looking at another 3 months :(

This is the only question I can ask, since I don't have my new hub yet.  I asked to have mine shipped as soon as possible, so I don't really care about the migration tool.

We've been told that V2 will ultimately be in parity with V1.

Does this mean all features and rules such as temp based device control, energy history on Smart Plugs, energy history on the meter reader?

If there are features present in V1 that will not be in V2 what are those.

When can we expect adding the Aeon meter reader to V2?

When will we have parity to V1 with the water softener, specifically rules, water flow analysis with history and GUI?

Are there any plans to have geofencing?

Are there any plans to create an Iris IFTTT channel? If not, why?

When will the development of functionality for the existing cards be completed?

How is the card function development being prioritized?  

Are there any plans for integrating sprinkler timers with local weather data? If not, what functionality can we expect for the Lawn and Garden card?

What are the plans for the usb ports on the hub?

I'd like to know when Bluetooth and WiFi will be enabled and what devices will be pairable with these protocols.  Also will WiFi serve as failover for the ethernet connection?  This would be handy for pairing device via sneakernet where one needs to get close to the device with the hub requiring unplugging from ethernet, which is needed with most Z Wave devices.

When can we expect to see a web-based interface for the v2 hub?  Many users really don't want to do complex tasks on a phone or tablet.

When can we expect to see some improved hardware and features for cameras?

I have 3 questions.

1. Iris is really falling into a groove of licking home automation and home security. Outside of some areas where features are still being implemented, it's all in all a pretty great system, and I can see it really growing into that over the next few months. My question is about the "Smart" aspect of this Smart Home system. While the system is definitely powerful and intuitive, I would argue that it isn't yet "Smart", because while it can do wonderful things, every ounce of it needs to be programmed ahead of time. Is there a driving force to begin, over the next year or two, to bring more actual intelligence to the platform? Maybe things like, if you have a light connected and the system realizes that you turn that light on at about 4:45 every afternoon, maybe it turns it on a few minutes early for you so it's ready to go, or adjusts a thermostat because it notices you doing that regularly as well, or things like that.

2. On top of the above question being more about back-end intelligence, I'm also curious about forward thinking technologies and their potential for integration. Are there plans, (Albeit probably several years out), to increase the technological sophistication of the system through things like Facial Detection via camera, or ultra-precise occupant detection with things like motion and bluetooth smart within the house?

3. Security question incoming! With the sheer amount of data that an Iris house can have around the exact routines, patterns, and even personal lives via video of the individuals who live in the house, I'm a bit surprised that I've never really seen much of anything pertaining to how Lowe's secures and protects that data stored on the Iris servers. I would be curious to learn a bit more about what kinds of protections are in place to keep our data, (and in some cases for those of us with a large multitude of sensing equipment in our house), our very lives, safe within Iris.

Thank you for taking the time to answer even a small number of all of our questions!

I'd like to know when Lowe's plans to design the app so it's truly compatible with iPads (a lot of the app is just scaled up and it looks horrible).

Also, can we expect a return of web control, and much more flexibility in creating rules? I'm finding the stock rules just aren't good enough in a lot of cases.

1. Will Iris be working with Arduino like smartthings does currently?

https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/smartthings-shield-arduino

2. Will rules be able to be prioritized?

3. Will rules ever be created in an easier one page USER DEFINED format rather than a bunch of pages of premade rules that I will never need.

example...in a table format

open  closed                                                                                                            open  closed

If  Device  is       on    off            or temperature  for     timer       during         then  turn  device     on  off         for   timer          during              

locked   unlocked         0-120deg             0ff-59s   12:01a-10:54                                lock unlock           0ff-59s   05:30a-04:17p

1-59m                                                                                       1-59m

It seems to me that a plethora of premade rules is very hard to find exactly what you want  to be done. And they conflict with other rules due to no PRIORITIZATION !!!!!    I'm sure there are more parameters I left out of my script that can be included.

When will Iris have all the functionality that we are used to in v1?

What will happen for those of us who purchased v1 devices that you have chosen not to support in v2?

Why aren't garage doors treated as doors (cannot add to alarm devices... no chimes)?

Why can't we decide more parameters over our system (timeout parameters for keyfobs... duration in rules... etc)

When will we see an API? (This was a big plus in v1 and allowed for programmers to write apps/interoperability with other systems... etc.)

When will we see an alternative to the mobile only app? (Some customers cannot use mobile devices at work and the only interface available is Web browser)

When can we see more interoperability with more thermostats (Honeywell wifi... nest... etc, Honeywell has an app used by Wink for example that allows users to integrate their thermostats with Wink)?

How did the beta test go? Will there be additional testing in the future?

Will there be interconnected and hardwired smoke/co detectors?

When competitors are offering free control of devices... why was a decision made to keep the $9.99 premium option in addition to the new $20 monitoring service?

Why do our systems stop working when the Internet goes down?

I am so happy to see that Iris is directly reaching out to their consumer to answer questions we have. 

1. Do you plan do Q&A again? 

2. Do you plan to train more store employees about the Iris System. With these new, large growths, I think its is a must. I have 3 Lowes in my area and all three have no idea how it works, what goes with it, or where the items for sale are even located. 

3.  NEST!!! I have owns Iris for a pretty long time and always dreamed of Nest integration. is this a plan or in the works? 

4. Do you plan to work with Apple Homekit or Apple Watch. As an apple fanatic, these are GREAT selling points. Who wouldn't want to tell their phone "good night" and have Siri turn off the lights, close the garage, lock the doors, turn the thermostat down, set the alarm, and turn the outside lights on? 

5. Will Beta testing be available again? 

6. have you considered a referral program? I have led so many people to Iris and think it would be great to receive something for that! 

7. Do you plan to create or integrate a home controller other than Nucleus? A basic remote, a little better than the key fob or built in the wall/light switch controller would be AMAZING!!

Thanks again and I look forward to your answers!

When are we going to get rule duration's that are the same as what we had in V1?  The most recent release offering duration's just turns off the light or device at the end of the time selected.  We need duration's that turn the device off after motion ceases for the period of time selected.

How many devices do you and your peers have on Iris at home and I'm not asking about your office or lab? Do you have each type of device you offer installed at home? Do you have your lights automated fully at home? Do you use every possible rule available at home? Does your friends or family provide feedback on Iris in your home if so what?

When will we have option to control dimmer brightness with a motion/contact trigger and ability to keep it on while motion is active then shutoff after X minutes of inactivity?

Will we see a roadmap of devices in certification? I go buy one thing only to find a different one that gets certified.

Will we ever get notified about maintenance events before they happen and incidents when you know about them with status updates.

Any plans to integrate with robot vacuums?

Will we get RBG control with rules similar to other lights but option to set colors?

Will you have an Iris by Lowes lawn mower ever?