Easiest way to arm the alarm
3 3

30 posts in this topic

I'm a new user of the V2 system. I picked it up around Thanksgiving. I've added some sensors and sirens here and there. So far I've had a minimally frustrating experience. I think my biggest gripe is the constant offline/online status of the hub. Sometimes it just does not reconnect. But things seem to be improving. I'm mainly using it for the security side of things and I've not gotten too far into the home automation part.

My issue is this... what is the easiest(most practical) way to arm this system? Two ways I know without using a scene or anything special: Through the app and using the keypad. The problem with the app is that when trying to get to work, firing up the app isn't the first thing that comes to mind and it's kind of a pain. Pressing the button on the keypad works, but it seems like all the doors and such must be shut. I usually have the door open ready to dash out. Seems like I should just be able to arm the system regardless of sensor status and get out the door before the system actually arms. I'm trying to avoid the key fobs for now.

Sounds simple I know. Any ideas?

Thanks.

But I don't want to omit my front door from the system. That would not be very smart. I guess most people have an attached garage and arm it from there when they exit the house. Well I do not.

Why can't the system have a delay? Where it resets(or whatever) the sensors after a certain time period. For example, I press on and I have kids in the house walking around gathering their stuff and a door open. We leave within 2 minutes or whatever time interval. After the 2 minutes, it actually arms the alarm.

Edit: Maybe I misread... Unless you are saying that the front door will still be included in the system and not excluded.

But I don't want to omit my front door from the system. That would not be very smart. I guess most people have an attached garage and arm it from there when they exit the house. Well I do not.

Why can't the system have a delay? Where it resets(or whatever) the sensors after a certain time period. For example, I press on and I have kids in the house walking around gathering their stuff and a door open. We leave within 2 minutes or whatever time interval. After the 2 minutes, it actually arms the alarm.

Edit: Maybe I misread... Unless you are saying that the front door will still be included in the system and not excluded.

I thought you wanted to omit open sensors.  You can set the delay for any amount of time that you want and you can have any sensors participate or not in the alarm.  Options are under the security alarm card > more.  But as far as I know you would need the doors closed that you want to participate in the alarm when you set it.  Alternatively you could get a key fob and have the alarm automatically set ( and doors lock, lights turn off or whatever your system can do) when you are gone.

That's what I was thinking it would do. I don't want any sensors left out. I just don't want them taking "readings" while I'm trying to get out of the house. Basically ignore me until I get out the door. But aren't there currently issues with the key fobs?

With Gen 2, you can set an exit delay of up to 59 minutes, 59 seconds in 1 second intervals.

ETA:  You would still need to have all doors/windows closed to keep them included in the alarm.  You can then open any of them and close them within the exit delay period.

Yes there is currently a bug with the last key fob to leave rule which will be addressed. You could always set the alarm from the key fob once you have locked up and before you leave.   In the mean time you could just set the delay for a longer period of time (say 2 to 5 minutes or whatever you chose) and set the alarm before any doors are opened.  You will then have that amount of time to come in and out and be on your way before the alarm sets.

I prefer the V1 fobs btw if you can find them.  I just checked and they are no longer available from Lowes.  They are on ebay.

Edit:  lt looks like rdisom types faster than me. :)

We have been using the delay, but I think it stinks that everything has to be closed up. Looks like we will need to either try to acquire key fobs(and get them working) or set the delay somewhat high.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

When care is implemented, you could do something like "no movement for x long set alarm mode to something".  

You can do 

When contact sensor is closed set alarm to partial. But the alarm will always be on that way. 

I personally just press "On" on the keypad then open the door and walk out. When were coming in with groceries, I usually just disarm the alarm from the car using the app. 

I am also having an issue with the motion picking me or my employees up while they try and set the alarm, and if they hit the on button twice doesn't it bypass that particular motion sensor? If it does, can you please explain a way to arm it without the use of a Key FOB and still have ALL sensors active for the security side of things.

I am also having an issue with the motion picking me or my employees up while they try and set the alarm, and if they hit the on button twice doesn't it bypass that particular motion sensor? If it does, can you please explain a way to arm it without the use of a Key FOB and still have ALL sensors active for the security side of things.

You could arm it with the app.

i have the key fob and even with it you sometimes have to press it twice . once for it to wakeup i guess and the other for the action to commence. it does lock everything up and arm the alarm after im gone for a few minutes. however it really dont matter because if your system is armed and your internet goes down or hub disconnects (which happens alot ) none of you alarms or sensors will activate or set off your alarm even. so its really moot. give it a try. i called lowes iris today and spoke with diagnostics team (on another major issue i have going on involving my $800 water softener that don t connect.) and advised them of this issue. apparently the 1.7.0 update will fix a HUGE amount of issues and has alot to add like water support. so we shall see.

I have the same problem. The two responses I received from lowes:

1. Arm the alarm from outside the door from the app, ridiculous

2. Move the motion sensor somewhere it won't detect motion while arming (then it won't detect motion if someone breaks in)

I am very disappointed that lris refuses to address this. They say they are listening, but clearly they are not....

With V1, I was always under the impression that the second push of the "ON" button would temporarily bypass open sensors until they were closed, then they would be included in the alarm.
Hopefully I've not been keeping my front door unprotected... Was I mistaken, or does V2 just operate differently than this?

I never had that issue with V1. I would always just press on and it would be ready to go.

You are correct, with V2, if you press once and it doesn't arm so you press for a second time. That second time is bypassing any sensor that was "open" when you set the alarm. It doesn't matter if you have delays, etc set. Those will be bypassed for the duration of the alarm. Check your app after this happens, it will say 1/3 or 2/3 etc sensors are armed.

This operates completely different than V1. All doors have to be closed and all sensors must not have detected motion for 30+ seconds. Total oversight in my opinion and makes my system useless....

So I just tested this on my V1 system.
I opened a door and pressed the on button... it alerted me that it could not set the alarm due to an open contact sensor... I then pushed the on button again and the system armed.
I waited a few minutes and then closed that door...  Then re-opened it and it triggered the alarm.

Does v2 not work this way?

Hmm. So when I migrated over to V2 I didn't have the most current update for V1, so something may have changed since I was on an older version. Here is how my V1 would work..

1. Open front door

2. Push "on," iris began beeping, alarm is set

3. Close the door

4. Open door or trip motion sensor, alarm would sound

With V2 it works like this

1. Open door

2. Press "on," system doesn't arm

3. Press "on" for a second time, system begins to beep, alarm is set

4. Check app, all sensors that were "open," usually door and motion are bypassed

5. Wait up to 10 minutes, walk in front of motion sensor, it detects motion, but alarm doesn't go off

6. Open front door alarm doesn't go off

7. Open back door, alarm DOES go off

So to answer your question, no, V2 doesn't work like this. It will bypass all of those open sensors. I thought I could work around this by just arming before I opened the front door, but that doesn't solve the problem of the sensor detecting motion when I walked by it to get to the front door.

I really don't see a solution to this.

Exactly, those are the same options that iris gave me, which really aren't very good options. Someone told me to move the sensor to right above the door, but that didn't work either.

If you think about it, someone who has an open floor plan or a business this would not work. It really defeats the purpose of an alarm system. Like at my work, we have A different brand alarm system and we set it and have 90 seconds to exit. It doesn't matter if we walk in front of the sensors or not.

This should not work like this. Especially since it didn't work that way in V1. V1 was right, V2 is not.

Exactly, those are the same options that iris gave me, which really aren't very good options. Someone told me to move the sensor to right above the door, but that didn't work either.

If you think about it, someone who has an open floor plan or a business this would not work. It really defeats the purpose of an alarm system. Like at my work, we have A different brand alarm system and we set it and have 90 seconds to exit. It doesn't matter if we walk in front of the sensors or not.

This should not work like this. Especially since it didn't work that way in V1. V1 was right, V2 is not.

I completely agree, I think there is a request already going

I am going to post this as a "bug" since the motion detector should not keep your alarm from arming. That's is just plain stupid and that was not an issue on the first generation. Maybe if enough people complain IRIS will stop telling us to "suck it up and deal with it." I am furious that I cannot arm my system without having to stand still and hold my breath for 30 seconds before pushing the on button. I feel silly having to explain this to employees, cleaning crew, etc.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how to do that.

I'm glad that someone else is 110% in agreement with me. Since switching over I've had multiple issues and was ready to go get something else. For me at least, if they could fix this problem I think I could deal with the other problems. This is absolutely insane in my opinion.

Too bad iris doesn't see this as a bug. I was really hoping it would be secretly fixed in the most recent push.

When I arm my v2 from keypad. No motion sensors near. The count down starts. I open the door and leave. I check the app later and see the alarm didn't arm. Seems like opening and closing the door cancels the arming