Mobile Phone App as Device
4 4

13 posts in this topic

I was just thinking that it'd be really cool if you could register your mobile phone as an Iris device.  The purpose that comes immediately to mind is to have it act as a fob for presence.

The idea struck me as I was trying to figure out how to accommodate my wife, as she rarely carries the same purse twice in the same day, but she NEVER leaves her mobile phone at home.

I'd be willing to PAY for the feature.

NDB

The hub has Bluetooth built in and it seems that this is likely on the road-map but right now they have a lot of other priorities... With V1 and an android app you could set a geofence to perform several functions within Iris... again, I would think this will come down the road.

My understanding is that we will be able to utilize IFTTT and if so  you should be able to use your phone as a Key Fob like we do in V1 currently. Now, if they add BT support latter then I would think that V2 would just be able to utilize BT to communicate to know when to Arm/Disarm. I'm sure that it's coming, just a matter where it's at on the Priority List right now. 

I asked this question of the devs on the last Q&A call and this was the response.

11.  Are there any plans to have geofencing?

Live Recap - Yes, we have plans to include this in 2016.  We are looking at internally developed and or 3rd party integrated solutions.

I asked this question of the devs on the last Q&A call and this was the response.

Live Recap - Yes, we have plans to include this in 2016.  We are looking at internally developed and or 3rd party integrated solutions.

I hope geofencing is done in house or 3rd party specific. I tried using the ifttt to  notify me when my wife leaves work and when she is near home....didnt work so well, was not reliable. I also used ifttt to turn off her ringer at work which worked well, which leads me to believe the gps,cell pinging, or whatever ifttt is using to locate the phones actual location is unreliable. Has anyone else had Ifttt location issues?

I hope geofencing is done in house or 3rd party specific. I tried using the ifttt to  notify me when my wife leaves work and when she is near home....didnt work so well, was not reliable. I also used ifttt to turn off her ringer at work which worked well, which leads me to believe the gps,cell pinging, or whatever ifttt is using to locate the phones actual location is unreliable. Has anyone else had Ifttt location issues?

What provider is she on?

My wife is on Verizon and is on the phone much of the time she is driving. Her data does not work while she is on the phone, so "find my friends" doesn't work, and if we had native IFTTT integration it wouldn't work with geofencing for her because she stays on the phone while she is driving. 

What provider is she on?

My wife is on Verizon and is on the phone much of the time she is driving. Her data does not work while she is on the phone, so "find my friends" doesn't work, and if we had native IFTTT integration it wouldn't work with geofencing for her because she stays on the phone while she is driving. 

This depends on the phone - see if she has "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" under Cellular network settings. That will enable simultaneous voice and data on Verizon.

On 1/29/2016 at 3:43 PM, scunny said:

Well 2017 is half over and we still don't have geofencing. Seems like this needs to be brought up again with the developers the next time someone has contact with them. Personally I would love geofencing. I have a Gen 1 keypad which is buggy at best and I can't mount it on the wall in my laundry which where the entry door from the garage is located because it doesn't have the range to work reliably from that location. Now we keep it in a drawer and set it out when we want to arm the system. Arming the system is a pain because the keypad does strange things and you have to try two, three, or more times before the system arms so often we don't set it when we won't be gone long.