"Premium" Keypad
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Are there any other keypads that work with Iris?  I would like one with a display so I can just glance at it and see the status without getting on a computer or mobile device.  I would also like one that is wired to the house with the batteries used for back up.  Anything out there or is this the only keypad available?  If there aren't any other keypads, is it possible to use a tablet as a keypad?  You can pick up a 7" Android tablet for $60.  I'm sure the tablet is a piece of junk, but it would probably be a nice wall mounted keypad.

I have thought several times of mounting an android tablet to the wall for a full-time keypad. But I do have an android tablet that I use for other stuff, so I have not actually done this.

You could just have the pin code to unlock the tablet as the code and have the Iris app running full-time underneath that.

J.

Are there any other keypads that work with Iris? I would like one with a display so I can just glance at it and see the status without getting on a computer or mobile device. I would also like one that is wired to the house with the batteries used for back up. Anything out there or is this the only keypad available? If there aren't any other keypads, is it possible to use a tablet as a keypad? You can pick up a 7" Android tablet for $60. I'm sure the tablet is a piece of junk, but it would probably be a nice wall mounted keypad.

If you just want to see the status, you know you can just press the * or # button on the keypad.

If you just want to see the status, you know you can just press the * or # button on the keypad.

Well, that's a quick way to see if to see it it's ON/OFF/PARTIAL mode. But, what would really be nice is some type of display that shows a run-down of your IRIS devices status. Be nice to have some kind of 7" or 8" display that when you press it, it would display device status for each device as well as Alarm status. Then you have an option to enter in a pin code to enter into more advanced options to change or play with. Something that is deadicated to the IRIS system and could be more along the lines of the IVEE system as well. You could say "HELLO IRIS".  :)

One item that I would absolutely love for Iris to have would be a better keypad.  I could see something with an LCD touch screen that when the alarm is NOT armed, it could have buttons for controlling devices, or other objects right from the home screen.  It could be similar to A smart-phone app, but look similar to a WIFI Thermostat touch-screen type of device.  It could have a plug for power, along with batteries for backup so that way it could be backlit.  It could also have status symbols on the main display very easily this way... If your alarm is armed, and you come in a door, it could automatically light up the screen and switch it to a full-screen number pad for easy disabling of the alarm.   This functionality would add a LOT of value to the IRIS system in my opinion.  A one-shop-stop for centrally controlling devices.  You could program what "favorite" devices you'd want on the home screen to control with a tap of the screen.   I imagine something that is about the size of a tablet.  

Thanks for merging.  Currently at Staples, http://www.staples.com/Nobis-7-inch-8GB-Tablet/product_1052513 is a 7" tablet for $49.99 (same price as the iris keypad).  Now, I just need iris to create a keypad app.  :)

Humm not a bad price. With the right mounting bracket and locking the screen etc it might not be a half bad solution. But yes would rather have a "keypad app"

Yeah, seen that too :) 

Even the touchscreen keypad for my alarm system costs $200. The point is - just use your smartphone! :)))

Or add smart functionality to the regular switches, for example - click on the top part of the switch turns the recessed lights on but double click - turns the nightstand lamps on. Leviton Omni does it.

You know I'd like to see something that is made to work with IRIS and talk directly to Z-Wave devices. I HATE seeing my Minimote offline and seeing an OFFLINE device on my system but love having it with me in my pocket to control lights and as a Panic button as well. Hopefully IRIS will come up with something SOON........ :unsure:

I was going to mount an ipad or old itouch to my wall but you can't leave the app running because you can arm and disarm the alarm without needing a code.

How about a lock screen pin code for the iDevice?  I have thought about doing this in the living room and using it for music remote and Iris sytems.  Just haven't been able to make myself stick a $300 iPad to the wall and rendering it useless for the other thing I do with it.

How about a lock screen pin code for the iDevice?  I have thought about doing this in the living room and using it for music remote and Iris sytems.  Just haven't been able to make myself stick a $300 iPad to the wall and rendering it useless for the other thing I do with it.

Also, since the Iris app is not iPad aware usability would be a concern.  I hope an iPad optimized app is on their shortlist.