Setting the Alarm and Updates
3 3

18 posts in this topic

I've read several other posts on the forum and I think I've come to the conclusion that this is the way that it has to be, but really....we have to have all doors closed and no motion in the house when we leave??

In V1, I would open my front door, push the "on" button on the keypad, close the door and leave.

Now with V2, until the motion sensor doesn't detect any motion it will not be included in the triggers. Since the motion detector is in the living room which is where my front door is, it is never included. The only way around this is to set the alarm from the app once I leave my house. This is super inconvenient and a huge oversight by the Iris team.

I have called multiple times trying to go back to my V1, but they just keep saying it is impossible. I wish that I had found this forum before converting to V2 so that I wouldn't have used the migration feature!!  This is awful. I wish I could take it back to the store....

Additionally, does anyone know how I will know when the hub has received an updated? Do I receive an e-mail? Does the app tell me? How do updates work with the V2 hub?

Typically someone will announce it here within minutes of the update.  The firmware and platform pushes will happen in the background and your app store will notify you of the update for the app.

In regards to the motion sensor, every alarm system I have used is like that.  ADT, Simplisafe, as well as a local alarm company.  You always have to stand still momentarily before arming those systems.

Is this how your V1 system worked? I didn't have this problem with V1.

The motion sensor doesn't stop detecting motion for 30 seconds which means I have to stand at the door for 30 seconds to a minute before I can arm the system.

Going back to V1, when I originally set the system up I was having problems where I would set the alarm, leave, and within a minute I would receive a text that motion was detected. I eventually found out that if I set a 90 second delay, everything would be fine.

With V2, even with a 5 minute delay set, as long as there was motion when I walked out the door that sensor is not a trigger. I do not understand this since it was working fine in V1.

I can't say on Gen 1 or Gen 2.  I have always set both of them to arm when last key fob leaves.

Key fob pressence although convenient has low wife acceptance I stick with the keypads. I do agree with op and trying to arm in the shot of a motion maybe a rule to exlude when keypad senses Motion?

Spoke with Iris today on phone. A update to address Z-Wave devices/connectivity is set to be pushed out at some point this week. Presumably a hub update. I guess I don't care much about Z-Wave stuff but wondering what else they might sneak into update with it. Scratches head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this how your V1 system worked? I didn't have this problem with V1.

The motion sensor doesn't stop detecting motion for 30 seconds which means I have to stand at the door for 30 seconds to a minute before I can arm the system.

Going back to V1, when I originally set the system up I was having problems where I would set the alarm, leave, and within a minute I would receive a text that motion was detected. I eventually found out that if I set a 90 second delay, everything would be fine.

With V2, even with a 5 minute delay set, as long as there was motion when I walked out the door that sensor is not a trigger. I do not understand this since it was working fine in V1.

I too did the delay with arming the V1 alarm to stop the alarm triggering as soon as I set it. I use the key fobs and the last person leaving rule now.

I spoke with Iris today, they said that unfortunately, this is the way the new system works and there is nothing they can do about it. 

I'm crossing my fingers that they will fix it before I go purchase something else, I just don't know what yet.

With the exception of key fobs, what is everyone else doing to arm their system? Is your motion sensor not anywhere near the door or the room of the door that you exit? Do you stand at your door for 30 seconds waiting for the motion detection to stop?

I have an open floor plan so really it would detect motion from anywhere. I could maybe put it in a bedroom, but I'm confused because then that would make it useless unless someone broke in and went into the bedroom.

I'm incredibly frustrated by this too, and I feel like I'm missing something.  Any time that I leave my house, I inherently have to walk through the front of it on my way to the front door.  This inherently triggers the motion detectors in the front of my house.  When i reach the front door and go to arm the system, I have to literally stand at the door for 30-60 seconds waiting before the touch pad will let me arm.  This doesn't make any sense.  I've lived with ADT systems for years, and I've never had to wait at the door for a full minute before I can arm it.  Just to clarify, I'm not talking about standing still for a second or two (something I've experienced with other systems).  We're talking about a full 30-60 seconds.  Isn't this a big problem for lots of people using the system?  The weird thing is that when I first installed my system back in Dec/January, this didn't happen.  For some reason, some time around March / the beginning of April, it starting requiring waiting at the door for this ridiculously long delay. Do I just have a setting wrong in my system somewhere?  

The latest update is supposed to re add a device into the alarm if it is open or seeing motion while arming.  Try double tapping the alarm mode to set the alarm and then see if that device is in fact participating.

I just performed this test and it works fine.  A contact sensor rejoins the alarm device list immediately upon being closed and the motion sensor rejoins within a couple of minutes.

So the solution for those using motions just double tap the alarm mode either on or partial. The alarm will arm with the device shown as bypassed and within a couple of minutes it will rejoin and be a participating device.

46 minutes ago, Lodious said:

I'm incredibly frustrated by this too, and I feel like I'm missing something.  Any time that I leave my house, I inherently have to walk through the front of it on my way to the front door.  This inherently triggers the motion detectors in the front of my house.  When i reach the front door and go to arm the system, I have to literally stand at the door for 30-60 seconds waiting before the touch pad will let me arm.  This doesn't make any sense.  I've lived with ADT systems for years, and I've never had to wait at the door for a full minute before I can arm it.  Just to clarify, I'm not talking about standing still for a second or two (something I've experienced with other systems).  We're talking about a full 30-60 seconds.  Isn't this a big problem for lots of people using the system?  The weird thing is that when I first installed my system back in Dec/January, this didn't happen.  For some reason, some time around March / the beginning of April, it starting requiring waiting at the door for this ridiculously long delay. Do I just have a setting wrong in my system somewhere?  

You are absolutely right, very frustrating! When I bought my system 2 years ago I didn't have stand there, then when the V2 hub came out I did. It was fixed last summer and then it just broke again a couple of weeks ago. 

The person who replied above is right though, hit the alarm button twice. I had asked this question on the official Lowe's forum and got an answer, but forgot to report back. 

The first time it will make a weird noise the second time it will start arming. The silver lining to this is that at least everything rejoins after a certain amount of time. After they fixed the problem over the summer, it would arm if the motion sensor was active, but not if a door was open. This wasn't a problem before. So the good news is that now I can arm with the door open (I used to have to shut it first which was annoying). 

12 minutes ago, scunny said:

I just performed this test and it works fine.  A contact sensor rejoins the alarm device list immediately upon being closed and the motion sensor rejoins within a couple of minutes.

So the solution for those using motions just double tap the alarm mode either on or partial. The alarm will arm with the device shown as bypassed and within a couple of minutes it will rejoin and be a participating device.

I really hope that iris is looking into this and fixes it in the near future. We still shouldn't have to press the keypad twice. It should just work the first time. It's definitely possible because it wasn't like this in V1.

33 minutes ago, mjs61084 said:

I really hope that iris is looking into this and fixes it in the near future. We still shouldn't have to press the keypad twice. It should just work the first time. It's definitely possible because it wasn't like this in V1.

I don't think there is anything to fix. The reason it requires a double push is to alert you something is open but gives you the option to bypass it.  Imagine if you had a door or window open and did not know it. You hit the button once, the systems arms and you have an unprotected area you did not know about.

The fix was allowing a device to rejoin the network after being closed or motion has stopped.

I understand what you're saying, but in my opinion it still isn't right. 

in V1, it didn't matter whether a door was open or a sensor had recently detected motion, you pushed the arm button once and walked out the door. Unfortunately this method didn't alert you to a door being left open. 

In V2 Iris broke the system, we could no longer set the alarm except from our mobile app once we left and motion was no longer detected. 

Last summer they fixed the problem again, one push would arm the system, even if motion was detected, but this time if any door or window sensors were opened they would have to be closed to arm the system or they were bypassed, except they didn't rejoin when closed. 

Now we have what they changed several weeks ago that we have to push twice nearly every single time to get the system armed. It's not the end of the world and it may sound silly that I'm complaining about it, but this definitely isn't how most traditional alarm systems work. On most, all doors and windows must be closed to arm the system, motion doesn't matter. 

If I had it my way this is how it would work.... I press the arm button once, leave my home. Any sensors that were opened during the arming (door,etc) would rejoin after closing. OR the same scenario, but that if any doors are open I would have to close first like a traditional system and then I could push twice if I chose to bypass. 

Having to push twice makes things more complicated for people who don't use iris regularly. Cleaning people, babysitters, house sitters, etc. most people want to just push once and walk out. IMO this new way just creates confusion for people who aren't regular iris users.