Android Push Notifications Have No Meaning
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Some of the push notifications have no meaning. Some have the notification details listed so you can read it and others only have the title which gets cut off due to the device name length. This is a parity requirement as text notifications in v1 had the full details and were meaningful.

As a example, anyone able to tell me what is going on with Avery's window? Is the window open? Is some creeper breaking in? The alarm is not sounding. I checked and its closed making contact but it makes me think is open until I do check it since that's the only notification I have set up for it.

70d79f438e6025404535d115a9e676cc.jpg

If I click on the notification, it just takes you to the main dashboard. So I click on history and don't see anything at that time for any windows. Even if I filter on that device name, nada. Notifications should be posted to the history feed.

f9cbf0f7980dbe7262168e3b1185a051.jpg

Now the garage door I can clearly see its open based on the title but on this one it's also listed in the notifications details. We need meaningful notifications that have the detailed information in addition to the title which gets cut off.

Yes there is no consistency.  Some pushes are a question, others are the same as the rule name others are completely arbitrary.  The one that irritates me the most is the contact sensor notification that comes in "Did Someone Open a Window?"  No one opened a window.  Someone opened a door and I don't care who did it, I just want to know which one it was.  The other one that was irritating when it was working was when a key fob departed, I received the push, "Did the Kids go to School?"  No, that was my wife and my kids are grown and do not live here anymore.  No rule names or pushes should be in the form of a question.

I'm still on v1 (haven't got my hub yet)... and my wife and I get constant notifications as we leave and arrive... and we love it. We never have to wonder when someone arrived home or left.
My daughter is only 6 and doesn't come and go by herself obviously, so she doesn't have a fob. We drop her off and pick her up from school..
You mean to tell me, as of right now, if I upgraded to v2 everytime one of us leave the house we the other would get a text saying "Did the Kids go to School?"... that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Who on earth thought every time a key fob leaves the home it means a child is on their way to school???
And why are push notifications asking questions? I thought Iris was supposed to tell us what was happening, not the other way around!
I also get a text every time the mail comes (contact sensor in mailbox)... I guess its going to ask me every day around noon if someone opened a window?

Yes there is no consistency.  Some pushes are a question, others are the same as the rule name others are completely arbitrary.  The one that irritates me the most is the contact sensor notification that comes in "Did Someone Open a Window?"  No one opened a window.  Someone opened a door and I don't care who did it, I just want to know which one it was.  The other one that was irritating when it was working was when a key fob departed, I received the push, "Did the Kids go to School?"  No, that was my wife and my kids are grown and do not live here anymore.  No rule names or pushes should be in the form of a question.

I don't see any of that.  My push notifications are very clear "<person> has left." or "<person> is now present.".  For contact sensors all of my notifications are accurate and read "(sensor name) was opened at Feb 10, 2016 5:02:49 PM" or "(sensor name) has been  open for 30 minutes."

Here's the thing, several weeks ago I opened and re-saved all of my rules which updated the text and dropped the annoying descriptions.  At the time, I posted my results which I later learned fixed the notifications.  I suggest you give that a try.

I don't see any of that.  My push notifications are very clear "<person> has left." or "<person> is now present.".  For contact sensors all of my notifications are accurate and read "(sensor name) was opened at Feb 10, 2016 5:02:49 PM" or "(sensor name) has been  open for 30 minutes."

Here's the thing, several weeks ago I opened and re-saved all of my rules which updated the text and dropped the annoying descriptions.  At the time, I posted my results which I later learned fixed the notifications.  I suggest you give that a try.

I get the same.  "Judy has left", etc.  "Garage door is now OPEN"

That doesn't work on Android for contact sensors and the fob push notifications aren't working at all right now.  I have tried it a couple of times and tried it a couple of minutes ago.  I do know that it is a known issue.