GE Link Bulb - Will Be Officially Supported?
1 1

85 posts in this topic

Well that bulb lasted about 2 weeks again.  I noticed last night it was on just before I went to bed and it should not have been.  It had disconnected again.  I tried power cycling and resetting the hub and then power cycling and it would not re-connect.  I just removed it.  Maybe it is just this bulb.  I have one that has been connected for a couple of months now and it has yet to hiccup.  I wish there was a way to check firmware, with Iris so I could see if the bulbs have the same firmware.  I guess I could buy a hub for these bulbs, I wonder if that would update them.  Anyone know if you can check firmware with a smartthings hub.   I think I am going to get one and start playing with it.

I currently have two bulbs that have been working without a glitch for over 48 days now.  So I added another bulb in a location I never could get one to last more than a week in before.  It's in the attic of my shop.  It gets pretty hot up there in the summer, but I wanted to have a light that automatically comes on when I open the attic door.  I wanted to use a GE switch, but the electrician did not bring down a neutral wire in the box, so I can't use one.  There are several devices in the shop but they are all Z-wave, it's the only ZIgbee device so I may need to add a V2 smart plug out there.

It worked for less than 24 hours.  It never actually disconnected it just always reported it was on and I would turn it off and then after a minute or so it would report it was back on again.  I went out and power cycled and it started working again, which I never could do n the past.  I would always have to remove and re-pair to get one back that did that.  I will give it while longer and see how it goes.  They do seem to be working a bit better.

I currently have two bulbs that have been working without a glitch for over 48 days now.  So I added another bulb in a location I never could get one to last more than a week in before.  It's in the attic of my shop.  It gets pretty hot up there in the summer, but I wanted to have a light that automatically comes on when I open the attic door.  I wanted to use a GE switch, but the electrician did not bring down a neutral wire in the box, so I can't use one.  There are several devices in the shop but they are all Z-wave, it's the only ZIgbee device so I may need to add a V2 smart plug out there.

It worked for less than 24 hours.  It never actually disconnected it just always reported it was on and I would turn it off and then after a minute or so it would report it was back on again.  I went out and power cycled and it started working again, which I never could do n the past.  I would always have to remove and re-pair to get one back that did that.  I will give it while longer and see how it goes.  They do seem to be working a bit better.

If you're still having issues you may want to try pairing it using a lamp placed near your hub.  After it has been paired you can remove it from the lamp and move it to its permanent location.  I know these will pair just about anywhere in your network, but by following this process they seem to be more stable.

The shop bulb is still going, but it comes on at random.  I set a notification that if the light is on for more than 30 minutes to send me a notification. It came on this morning at 4:15am, it's the third  time since I posted previously that it has done that..  It's an improvement, last time I tried to use a bulb out there it would work for awhile and disconnect and the only way to get it back was to remove and re-pair.  Now I can  just turn it off when it randomly comes on, I did have to power cycle it that one time I mentioned in the previous post but I haven't had to do that again.

The other two bulbs are working great.56 days now without an glitch.

The shop bulb disconnected again yesterday and all I had to do was power cycle and it was back. 

I also had one of the bulbs in the house stop working, and this time it would not come on.  Which is also an improvement.  Before, whenever they would do that they would come on and stay on till you power cycled them.  It's a bit annoying to have a light come on in the middle of the night, it's much better if it stays off on a disconnection. It never actually said it disconnected it just would not do anything and a power cycle got it going again.   Not sure that is going to be the norm but it seems there has been a big improvement in the GE bulbs reliability.

Hmmm... I'm not see any improvements in connectivity. I continue to have issues whenever I add more than 3 bulbs and even then they are not reliable. I had one drop off last night and the light was on when I got up this morning. I tried power cycling the light and it did not come back so I had to force remove it and then re-pair it to the hub.

I did notice that I did not have to reset the bulb before re-pairing so I guess that's a plus.

Hmmm... I'm not see any improvements in connectivity. I continue to have issues whenever I add more than 3 bulbs and even then they are not reliable. I had one drop off last night and the light was on when I got up this morning. I tried power cycling the light and it did not come back so I had to force remove it and then re-pair it to the hub.

I did notice that I did not have to reset the bulb before re-pairing so I guess that's a plus.

Maybe that is it I have only got three connected right now. 

So another update.  At first the third bulb was working great, but starting about a week ago it constantly connects and disconnects.  I added a V2 smartplug out in the shop hoping that would stabilize it but it hasn't.   The few times I have went out and gone up in the shop attic the light came on as it should.  The only drawback is it fills up the history with connect/disconnect messages. 

Did an experiment and swapped an OSRAM that has never glitched in over 6 months or more with the GE link bulb out in the shop.  I did not unpair I just swapped them, renamed each device and updated the respective rules.  The link bulb is now in a closet in the same room as the hub.  It still connects and disconnects every 10 minutes or so just like it did out in the shop.  So it is not a connectivity/distance issue.  The Osram that is out there now has been connected ever since I moved it out there and worked just like it should right off the bat.. 

I have two more Link bulbs just sitting in a drawer, so I may try replacing that one with one of those to see it is the bulb or just the GE link bulbs in general.  I still have two that seem to work great.  Although they do not seem to maintain their brightness setting.  Every week or so I have to turn them back down, as they have gone back to 100%.

So I did swap the GE link bulb that was constantly disconnecting/reconnecting with another one I was not using.  The connect/disconnects went away.  A day or so later, however, one of the other GE link bulbs that had been working for several months now, disconnected and would not reconnect.  The one that I just swapped out was still working.  The one that had been working would not re-pair as a usable device.  I tried with both the IOS app on my Iphone and the Android app in bluestacks, on both apps it would only show up as a unknown device..  I finally found that if I removed power to both of the other GE bulbs, It woudl then re-pair as a uncertified bulb that I could use..  I now have all three up and working again.  I have one more bulb I am not using if this acts up again I will try that one.  It does appear that two seems to be the limit to reliability with Iris.

We don't ever turn the switch off.  I have an echo or a dot in every room the lamps are and we have just got into the habit of using Alexa to control the lamps.  I use Iris scheduling to turn the lamps on at sunset and off at various times depending on room occupancy.

My main reason was they were cheaper than a switch, also we have been back and forth on weather or not we will sell this place and a bulb will be much easier to remove.  I am not sure how the connected switches will go over with home buyers.  In cases with as single switch , I just put one of these over the switch.  I have them in two closets and my pantry.  So with a bulb, contact sensor and a cover I have a light that comes on when the door is opened.

I also have an OSRAM bulb in a closet that had a pull chain socket, I took the chain off and put a contact sensor on the door so the light turns on/off when the door is opened or closed. I have a lamp on a smart plug and a smart button to turn it on so I removed the turn switch of the lamp just by unscrewing it so the lamp can't be turned off other than with the button.

It seems that V1.15 may have fixed the connectivity issue with the GE Link bulb.  I've had five connected since Dec, 12th with no issues.  I think this is the longest time I've gone without any of them disconnecting since moving over from V1.

I guess I spoke too soon.  I woke up this morning and one of the bulbs had disconnected at 2:11 am.  I find it odd that the majority of the disconnects with these bulbs happen in the middle of the night when they are all off.  It makes me wonder if there is some kind of process happening within the hub during this timeframe.

I guess I spoke too soon.  I woke up this morning and one of the bulbs had disconnected at 2:11 am.  I find it odd that the majority of the disconnects with these bulbs happen in the middle of the night when they are all off.  It makes me wonder if there is some kind of process happening within the hub during this timeframe.

I have been thinking about posting about this as well.  Didn't want to jinx it though, so maybe you got the jinx.  I have had three bulbs connected since back in late November and they have not glitched once.

How easy was it to get the disconnected bulb back?  Did a power cycle work and did it come on during the night? 

Just like my two GE devices (1 in-wall dimmer and 1 plug-in switch) went off

line in the middle of the night for no apparent reason when they were both off.

I have been thinking about posting about this as well. Didn't want to jinx it though, so maybe you got the jinx. I have had three bulbs connected since back in late November and they have not glitched once.

How easy was it to get the disconnected bulb back? Did a power cycle work and did it come on during the night?

I power cycled the lamp and it did not reconnect so I put the hub in pairing mode and after a few seconds it triple beeped indicating it found a new device. However, the app kept searching for a new device so I took the hub out of pairing mode and viola it's connected again.

I did not have to physically reset the bulb.

I have a question for those with the GE link bulbs.  What firmware version does your bulb show?  With the unofficial web portal you can now see the firmware revision of the bulbs.  The three I connected back in November have worked flawlessly since then.  I am getting over a cold today and stayed home and I got bored so I thought I would check out one of the bulbs that I had problems with in the past.  This bulb would constantly connect and disconnect.    So I wondered if it had a different firmware version and if that might be the cause.  I temporarily put it in a light fixture and paired it and It has the same version as the three that are working.  They all report 1030400.  What do y'all see?