GE Link Bulb - Will Be Officially Supported?
1 1

85 posts in this topic

Anyone having any issues with their GE Link bulbs.  Since the last email I got about them making a update a couple of weeks ago, they are disconnecting several times a day now.  I have three, one of which has been working without issue for probably a year or better.  Now all three connect and disconnect.  Nothing else is having issues just the GE bulbs.  I guess I am just going to have to get rid of them

13 hours ago, Terminal said:

Anyone having any issues with their GE Link bulbs.  Since the last email I got about them making a update a couple of weeks ago, they are disconnecting several times a day now.  I have three, one of which has been working without issue for probably a year or better.  Now all three connect and disconnect.  Nothing else is having issues just the GE bulbs.  I guess I am just going to have to get rid of them

I've been having the same problem. Link bulbs that have been stable for months have been disconnecting almost every day.  A power cycle reconnects them, but it sure is a hassle.

I have not had to power cycle mine very often, yet.  They have for the most part happen to be reconnected when I need them.  It's mostly just a bunch of connect/disconnect message in my log.

I had one, the one that has worked for the longest, that would not re-connect with a power cycle one day last week.  So I reset and re-paired.  I did not remove it before doing so.  The pairing process did not go exactly as anticipated..  I heard the Hub beep, indicating it found a device, but the app never showed a device found.  After going back into the app the bulb had reconnected and went right back under the same name and all the rules for that device were working again.  It did not, however, fix the main issue of it connecting and dis-connecting because it is still doing that.

On 3/30/2017 at 8:14 AM, Vettester said:

Instead of just power cycling you may want to try removing them and then re-pairing.

OK, thanks. I've just done that, and will report back whether it solves the problem.

I know all this SH stuff is supposed to make our lives easier, but I sure find myself spending a lot of time tweaking/fixing it.  For instance, solving (I hope!) this bulb problem. The remove/re-pair process itself is fairly quick. It's the other stuff that takes a while (setting scheduling again for the device itself, plus re-adding any Rules or Scenes it was a part of). And while I love the added functionality of Alexa, it does not automatically delete devices that have been removed, so you have to tell it to "forget" the device, then run the "Discover Devices" program again, or risk Alexa seeing two devices of the same name and not being able to control them.

I know -- first world problems.

Repairing didn't solve the problem -- it disconnected again this evening.  This may simply be a clunky product -- I saw that someone was having the same problem with the bulbs on their Smart Things system this week.  I just don't get why they were solid for months, and then are falling off almost daily now.

4 hours ago, pavalov said:

Repairing didn't solve the problem -- it disconnected again this evening.  This may simply be a clunky product -- I saw that someone was having the same problem with the bulbs on their Smart Things system this week.  I just don't get why they were solid for months, and then are falling off almost daily now.

Yeah same here.  Mine had been working great for at least three months with no issues.  

I have been thinking about moving them over to smart things to see if they get better,  could not as the motion sensor that triggered them was a V1 sensor and could not be switched.  I just got a V2 sensor this weekend but have not had a chance to set it up yet.  Hopefully this week, and I will see if it is better.  From what I have read on smart things, they have problems with them as well.  I am probably just going to take them all off both systems, eventually.

Not sure if this helps any, but I have had 4 of the GE Link bulbs paired with a Wink hub for a couple of year now.  They have stayed connected for the last year or more.  I mainly use them with the Wink hub because I can control them with the Lutron Connected Bulb Remote.

I had problems early with them staying connected but it was better than the disconnects with Iris V1 at that time.