Best thermostat? GoControl or Radio Thermostat
3 3

16 posts in this topic

I found a real good deal on a full IRIS 1.0 kit last summer, but never installed the thermostat since I have a zoned system and needed two. Now I'm thinking about putting my thermostats on IRIS, but wonder if it is worth getting a second Radio Thermostat CT-101-L, or if I should get rid of the one I have and go for two of the new GoControl thermostats.

The GoControl certainly looks nicer and appears to possibly have better build quality based on the internal photos in the FCC. I'm not too concerned about the looks though, and am primarily concerned about quality. Has anyone had any major problems with either model? Which has been more reliable in real world use? I'd hate to encounter a major issue such as overheating or overcooling the house, or worse yet, failure to heat while away in the Winter.

I'm staying on V1 until Lowe's either forces me to V2 or until V2 has better feature parity with V1, particularly offline processing for the alarm. Therefore, V2 specific issues related to the thermostats aren't a huge concern for me yet as long as they are issues that Lowe's has identified and plans to fix.

I have been running 2 of the CT-101 thermostats on different systems.  I have not had any problems with either one.  One of them has transferred over to Gen 2 hub and has not had any problems either.  The down side to having one on Gen 2 is that if the internet is out, it will not run on a schedule that was set up through the Iris app.

Supposedly the Radio Thermostat works with IRIS v2... I for the life of me can't figure out how to set the damn schedule of the "stupid" thermostat since upgrading to the new IRIS.  To make it worse, I try to adjust the temperature on the thermostat and it rejects it.  I'm about ready to junk IRIS v2 after my first week and go to a real system

I have the CT-101 and it works great in v2. I don't have a 'schedule' set up but have instead been running the system in AUTO mode. Set a low end and a high end temp and just let it work. No problems at all.... 

I had issues with disconnects initially, but those were resolved with a strategically placed Smart Plug. 

Since then, no problems at all - again though I'm not trying to run a schedule and that's where I see most problems folks are having.

Go to the climate card and click on "SCHEDULE" at the top of the card.  You can set up schedules there for each climate device you have.  If you want to change in and out of the schedule to another mode you can use scenes to set your thermostat to different modes or to follow the schedule.