Status LED on v2 Smart Button
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I would like to ask that a status LED be added to the v2 Smart Button., so that you can tell if you have a successful reset or not.

I have spent several hours trying to re-pair my single Smart Button that paired once, immediately after purchase.  It dropped off at the outage, and I have not been able to re-pair since, and I have gotten volunteers to view the video and try to pair it back with the hub.

It currently sits on my desk, near the automation pack box, mocking me with it's blatant uselessness, a button that does NOTHING when pressed, battery installed, or battery removed.  I have a large flat blade screwdriver, a 8 lb sledgehammer, and a 20 ton press in the garage, wonder if I can scare the button into pairing?

Mine does have a status LED.  It glows through the top upper right corner of the white plastic (when looking at it with the battery compartment along the bottom edge).  It flashes blue (or maybe green) while trying to pair.  Unfortunately it does not turn on the LED when the button is pressed.

I think to reset it you hold the button in while inserting the battery tray, and then release the button once the LED lights up (red I think).  Of course getting the battery compartment open is another story.  I'm not sure exactly how that little latch is supposed to work and I always end up prying it open.

OK, I think I got my V2 SmartButton into the same state yours is in.  It would not pair at all (I tried about 15 times).  Finally I found that by going in to Add Devices in the app, inserting the battery in the button, and then after a second or two, pressing the button rapidly 12 or more times the LED started to flash BLUE (which I think means it it trying to pair).  The LED then turned GREEN for a second or two, and about 10 to 15 seconds later the hub beeped and my button was paired again.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky or what, but hopefully that will work for you.  It seems like maybe 12 or more rapid presses on the button may reset it, but it may have to be done right after powering on the button, I'm not sure.  Good Luck!

Here is the help video on resetting the V2 smart button that may also help.

Thanks, I have watched that video a dozen times, but no success.  Even the wife can't spot what I am doing wrong in the procedure.

I could not take it any more, I tried Bright House's suggestion too, 12 times.  Nothing...then the retainer on the battery tray broke.... :angry:

So, the button is fixed now...its in pieces.  I am trying to recover one of my image hosting sites login info, but I did find an ebay auction showing a better version of the boards...

http://www.ebay.es/itm/New-Lot-of-5-Centralite-1153460-A-THOR-94V-0-Circuit-Boards-/381491470328?hash=item58d2a9dff8:g:kBgAAOSw8-tWbaLd

Those eBay boards appear to have a better battery contact for the coin cell, this board has a raised glob of solder for the negative contact.

As you would think, its very worn from my attempts to pair, removing and re-inserting the battery.

Anyone notice that the video says to remove the battery but when they demonstrate this the battery tray is already open? That's because they didn't want to show the person struggling for 20 minutes trying to open the battery tray. I gave up but will try again tomorrow.  :wacko:

Yes, when you slide the little gray lever below the battery tray to the right I think the tray is supposed to pop out, but I usually have to hold the lever over to the right while prying the tray open with a small thin blade of some sort. Stick it in the slot at the top of the tray about 1/8th inch and gently lift up, releasing the lever as the tray slides out.

And watch out for lose parts. I've seen a few where the metal band soldered to the board to make contact with the battery has a "cold" solder joints and pops off, making the device useless unless you can solder it back on. I'm not sure if others have run into that, but it happened to me twice. Not that bad to fix, as long as you realize it happened and can find the piece if it falls out.

Yeah, I have three V2 buttons and they all behave a little differently as far as button presses. One of them you have to press extremely hard, this may be your problem with resetting it because I have had the same problem.... The click that you feel isn't actually pressing down enough to illicit a response.... For this reason, V1 buttons are definitely superior: nice rubber button that you know is pressed.

I'll second that.

The V2 buttons also have a nasty habit of eating batteries or just outright quitting.  None, and I really mean none, of my V2 buttons I purchased came out of the box and just worked.  They all had to be exchanged at the store least once.  Right now, I have one button that goes through a battery every 5-6 weeks and another that outright died last week with no broken tabs or anything obvious.