Removal of Orphaned Devices
4 4

27 posts in this topic

I would love to have the ability to remove devices that either don't pair correctly or become otherwise disconnected without having to call support. The only times I have had to call support were to have them remove rogue devices that I don't have the ability to remove.

To have to sit on hold for an hour for only this issue is silly since this is also taking up a support person who could be helping someone who actually needs help with a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had this same trouble - when I use the iOS devices.  If I use an android device I am able to remove them without any problem. I really think this is an iOS bug more than anything.

Same here...

Same here. If fact, removing devices that miss-pair (unsupported) is a lot easier than adding most times until now -

I've had great success adding new devices starting this past Saturday when my Wi-Fi adapter came in. It is powered by one of the V2 USB ports and will run off the IRIS backup batteries. I just walk around with it and can now hear the beeps.

Same here. If fact, removing devices that miss-pair (unsupported) is a lot easier than adding most times until now -

I've had great success adding new devices starting this past Saturday when my Wi-Fi adapter came in. It is powered by one of the V2 USB ports and will run off the IRIS backup batteries. I just walk around with it and can now hear the beeps.

What sort of wifi adapter is this?  It's powered off the v2 usb port but has an ethernet port you can plug the v2 hub into all while it connects back to your router over wifi?  I guess that's one way to make the hub have wifi network connectivity.  Never thought about getting one usb powered.  I have a repeater you plug in so I can centrally locate my hub.  I assume something like this: VONETS VAR11N-300 Mini Multi-Functional Wireless Wifi Router/ Professional Wi... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01199OGK0/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_zxi6wb1EQB0XGvia @amazon

What sort of wifi adapter is this?  It's powered off the v2 usb port but has an ethernet port you can plug the v2 hub into all while it connects back to your router over wifi?  I guess that's one way to make the hub have wifi network connectivity.  Never thought about getting one usb powered.  I have a repeater you plug in so I can centrally locate my hub.  I assume something like this: VONETS VAR11N-300 Mini Multi-Functional Wireless Wifi Router/ Professional Wi... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01199OGK0/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_zxi6wb1EQB0XGvia @amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PTCFFW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

TP-LINK TL-WR702N 802.11bgn 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router $15.99

Since the specs for the V2 hub mention a WiFi interface, one might assume that it could connect via WiFi internally, but no, not even to talk to the cameras. Curious...

Thanks to your post in this thread, I began playing with an Android emulator and you are 100% correct, devices are able to be forced removed on Android but not on iOS. 

Thanks for posting, you just saved me a BUNCH of time!

Edited to add:  for some reason the quote from Vettester didn't show up, but he is the person I was referencing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PTCFFW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

TP-LINK TL-WR702N 802.11bgn 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router $15.99

Since the specs for the V2 hub mention a WiFi interface, one might assume that it could connect via WiFi internally, but no, not even to talk to the cameras. Curious...

So you plug the adapter into the V2 hub and it initializes and connects without a cable?  If so I am going to try that one myself.

So you plug the adapter into the V2 hub and it initializes and connects without a cable?  If so I am going to try that one myself.

Yes. Today will be one week on this without any issues. And it's been nice placing the hub in a good central hidden location.

You'll need to do a quick one-time setup on the device of course. I used a little netbook connected directly to the TP-Link for this task.

Yes. Today will be one week on this without any issues. And it's been nice placing the hub in a good central hidden location.

You'll need to do a quick one-time setup on the device of course. I used a little netbook connected directly to the TP-Link for this task.

Does this device require ac power or does it have a rechargeable battery?

Does this device require ac power or does it have a rechargeable battery?

No battery - it has a micro-usb cable that plugs into the included USB power block. I have it plugged into a V2 USB port instead. The hub's batteries will run it when power is out.

Two weeks now since I did this and I've been operating without any flaws, drops or any unpredictable actions. I suppose it's a location - the hub is now central to the house on the top shelf in a kitchen pantry.

Thankfully I had no issues removing devices with IOS.  For anyone trying without success... Make sure you're going to (in the app) "Devices / Z-Wave Tools / Remove Z-Wave Device".  At that point, for most devices that arent showing up on your device list, you just use the proceedure you would normally use to pair it.  It should then (hopefully) show in the app with its device ID and be removed from your system.  Perhaps it wont work for everyone, but I had several receps and switches that dropped from my list, and thats how I unpaired them.

Good Luck!  :D

I had an issue pairing an Osram Lightify A19 yesterday, and it timed out. I now have an unknown device in my list, and I cannot remove it via the iOS app. Anytime I try it tosses the error, call this nbr message. Unfortunately, after two stretches of being on hold for 30+ minutes, I gave up for now.

I had an issue pairing an Osram Lightify A19 yesterday, and it timed out. I now have an unknown device in my list, and I cannot remove it via the iOS app. Anytime I try it tosses the error, call this nbr message. Unfortunately, after two stretches of being on hold for 30+ minutes, I gave up for now.

Hi Dana, if you send us a PM with your account name and email we can look into this for you.

If you want to try it, you can download an Android emulator to your computer. You can remove with that. This was the scenario I ran into that prompted this thread. Give it a try, it will save you all those hours on hold with support.

TheBagMan,

The TP-LINK TL-WR702N can be used with the iris hub for wireless operation? So, the hub can be moved to a central location and not be hardwired to my router? If this is so, please explain how to set it up. That should be a sticky because it solves multiple problems… re-pairing devices that are hard to move, hiding the hub from intruders, etc.

TheBigMan,

The TP-LINK TL-WR702N can be used with the iris hub for wireless operation? So, the hub can be moved to a central location and not be hardwired to my router? If this is so, please explain how to set it up. That should be a sticky because it solves multiple problems… re-pairing devices that are hard to move, hiding the hub from intruders, etc.

Given the idea from TheBagMan I chose a similar product.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR710N-Wireless-Repeater-Charging/dp/B00FRMAOIO?ie=UTF8&keywords=tp%20link%20nano&qid=1459825572&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

The difference is this product offers two ethernet ports and requires ac power. This was a better option for my application such as remote wireless to ethernet connection where battery or usb power was not a requirement and I needed more than one port.

It works great.  I've tested this connection with my phone on mobile data compared to a hardwired connection and my phone on my local WiFi network and I can't tell any difference in system performance.  The one thing I've not tested is camera latency connected to this device but I'm not using the cameras on V2 at this time.