Fireplace
4 4

16 posts in this topic

Okay, I've searched through here and haven't seen anything, so figured I'd ask.

As I'm putting together my "wish list" of what all it would take to switch our entire house over to Iris, I'm curious. We have a gas fireplace that has a regular "switch" on it. Has anyone tried to use an Iris switch on a gas fireplace yet?

As I'm putting together my "wish list" of what all it would take to switch our entire house over to Iris, I'm curious. We have a gas fireplace that has a regular "switch" on it. Has anyone tried to use an Iris switch on a gas fireplace yet?

Most Gas Fireplaces are just a regular On/Off switch and shouldn't cause an issue at all. You should be able to use the Regular IRIS On/Off just fine, with no issues. 

It depends on what type of gas fireplace setup you have. Mine is a simple thermocoupler design, with a single wire going to the switch. Flipping the switch completes the milli-volt circuit, and causes the thermocoupler to activate the gas valve. It's my understanding that the IRIS switches require power and neutral, and wouldn't work in this type of system.

It depends on what type of gas fireplace setup you have. Mine is a simple thermocoupler design, with a single wire going to the switch. Flipping the switch completes the milli-volt circuit, and causes the thermocoupler to activate the gas valve. It's my understanding that the IRIS switches require power and neutral, and wouldn't work in this type of system.

Mine is milli-volt and didn't work as you can't power the switch. I'm going to try setup the relay with a smart plug and I'll document it and share.

I am pushing this back to the top to find out if someone have solved this issue.  I am looking for a battery operated z-wave relay that will solve this issue. 

dusterp,  did you have any luck getting this done?

Edit:  This is a milli-volt system with no power to the switch or fireplace.  So the z-wave relay would need to be battery operated.

Sorry, for the delay... 

I used relay (thanks to scunnyngham): tyco pclh-206a1s. These are on Amazon for $10 - $12 and there was a related one that was around $6 with prime I've not used but it looks the same.   

21xuzK5udwL.jpg

Here's a link to the data sheet on it: http://datasheetz.com/data/Relays/Power,%20Over%202%20Amps%20@%2030%20VDC/PB904-datasheetz.html. 

Just use a standard cord off anything and put some terminal connectors on the black and white wires.  Those go on the two plugs facing perpendicular to the other three sets of two.  Make sure the terminal plugs have a secure fit and wrap them in black electrical tape so you don't zap yourself.  I wrapped each connection and then both of them together after that.  Next you'll have to just try it out by applying power to see which two additional relay terminals you'll want to use.  Once you find the two that work for your setup use the terminal plug connectors to wire up your fireplace switch to them.  Test it, tape them up, and then plug it into a smart plug; you're all set.  

I have mine setup to turn on early morning between certain hours and shut off after motion sensor gets to certain temp.  Works great, I've also setup the fan to come on at low to circulate the heat in the room and increase up to med to extend the run time since I like having it on in the winter.  When it get to my shutoff temp the fan runs at high for 30 secs and shuts off so I know all the rules are working.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2015 at 0:38 PM, xKing said:

Geez, get a SOCKET!

Exactly what I was thinking when I started reading this thread then I got to your post
and was relieved I wasn't the only one thinking why are they not using a socket?

7 hours ago, sparc said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I started reading this thread then I got to your post
and was relieved I wasn't the only one thinking why are they not using a socket?

Those don't work unless you can run power to the box that has the switch which is rarely an option and not practical.  Millivolt systems neither use nor require power. 

90e9644658747fefff64c92065b04501.jpg

5750a594f5ba05e8022bbf7f52e5ac09.jpg

I got this relay [pclh-206a1s] from a friend and use it along with a smart plug to control mine with Alexa.

https://vimeo.com/201783490

I also have it tied to a smart button and a rule to turn it off after it's been on for two hours. I also have some rules based on temp as well.