Thermostat scheduling and presense functionality that makes sense
2 2

8 posts in this topic

The way the thermostat scheduling works on V2 just doesn't make sense from what I am reading, and I can't switch to V2 until this is resolved.
Energy savings from the scheduling and presence info of iris was one of the primary reasons we purchased the system.
I have v2 set up so that when we leave our home it activates a thermostat schedule. When it detects our key fobs it overrides this schedule.
The following situations with V2 seems like they will waste a lot of energy:

Home mode set for 69 degrees when presence is detected during the summer, and the schedule is set to move the tstat to 75 at 8AM after we have typically left for work.
Problem 1: Occasionally my wife has to leave later (around 8:15, but sometimes as late as 9). On V1, as soon as she (the last key fob) leaves, the tstat moves to 75. On v2 it would remain on 69 all day until the next scheduled event (4PM) which moves the tstat to 72 to begin cooling the house before we get home.
Problem 2: Most days I come home for lunch, anywhere from 11am to 1PM. My key fob is detected and the thermostat drops to 69 during the period I am there, and then sets back to 75 when I leave.
In this scenario it seems that V2 would keep it on 69 until the next scheduled event (again 4pm)
Problem 3: Our weekend schedules vary wildly... we may spend an entire saturday at home, we may be gone all day, or we may be in and out constantly. Typically we let the schedule keep it at 72 while we are away, and moves down to 69 when presence is detected. On V2, this will would likely result in similar behavior as expected in the first two problems I listed.  

Is changing the way this works back to the way V1 worked planned as part of V1 parity, or am I going to have to create a web of elaborate scheduled rules that are inefficient workarounds at best?
I can't understand why they chose to have it operate this way. I can't imagine anyone would prefer this method.

The V1 Tstat control was great and it worked very well for me.

V2 is a goofy and unreliable mess that sorta works but does what it wants, when it wants. While it now turns on the schedule based the scene, it doesn't use the schedule set point. It's worthless to run the scene unless the thermostat changes the temp, that is most often does not do.

Luckily, it's at that time of year when the system isn't always running.

The way the thermostat scheduling works on V2 just doesn't make sense from what I am reading, and I can't switch to V2 until this is resolved.

Energy savings from the scheduling and presence info of iris was one of the primary reasons we purchased the system.

I have v2 set up so that when we leave our home it activates a thermostat schedule. When it detects our key fobs it overrides this schedule.

The following situations with V2 seems like they will waste a lot of energy:

Home mode set for 69 degrees when presence is detected during the summer, and the schedule is set to move the tstat to 75 at 8AM after we have typically left for work.

Problem 1: Occasionally my wife has to leave later (around 8:15, but sometimes as late as 9). On V1, as soon as she (the last key fob) leaves, the tstat moves to 75. On v2 it would remain on 69 all day until the next scheduled event (4PM) which moves the tstat to 72 to begin cooling the house before we get home.

Problem 2: Most days I come home for lunch, anywhere from 11am to 1PM. My key fob is detected and the thermostat drops to 69 during the period I am there, and then sets back to 75 when I leave.

In this scenario it seems that V2 would keep it on 69 until the next scheduled event (again 4pm)

Problem 3: Our weekend schedules vary wildly... we may spend an entire saturday at home, we may be gone all day, or we may be in and out constantly. Typically we let the schedule keep it at 72 while we are away, and moves down to 69 when presence is detected. On V2, this will would likely result in similar behavior as expected in the first two problems I listed.  

Is changing the way this works back to the way V1 worked planned as part of V1 parity, or am I going to have to create a web of elaborate scheduled rules that are inefficient workarounds at best?

I can't understand why they chose to have it operate this way. I can't imagine anyone would prefer this method.

You just need to use the rules that are there for presence to run a scene.  You can run a scene for when the first person arrives or last person leaves.  You can also run a scene when a specific fob leaves or arrives.  I'd have the rule when last fob leaves run away scene and have the tstat set to auto: heat65/cool78.  Then use the rule first person to arrive run scene home and have it set the tstat to auto: heat69/cool71.  I even have another scene that runs when my fob leaves to just lock the doors but nothing else so the lights and temp stay on when the wife is still there but if I'm the last fob it runs the away rule.

I even have another scene that runs when my fob leaves to just lock the doors but nothing else so the lights and temp stay on when the wife is still there but if I'm the last fob it runs the away rule.

I like this. My wife and I have slightly different temperature preferences, (but her preference overrides mine... haha). I'd like to set it so that if I am home and she is not, it uses a different set point up until she gets home.

I'd also like it to turn on the porch lights at night when I arrive, even if she is already home (or the opposite)... Another benefit I can see... If I am working late she could set the partial alarm before going to bed and we could have it automatically disarm when I arrive.

These scenarios were not possible in V1 but it sounds like something that can be done with V2.

I'd have the rule when last fob leaves run away scene and have the tstat set to auto: heat65/cool78.  Then use the rule first person to arrive run scene home and have it set the tstat to auto: heat69/cool71.  I even have another scene that runs when my fob leaves to just lock the doors but nothing else so the lights and temp stay on when the wife is still there but if I'm the last fob it runs the away rule.

But I don't always want it to set the same temp when the last person leaves... it should depend on what time of day it is.

For instance, I wan't to keep the house 75 while we are away, between 8am and 4:30pm. Monday-Friday.

After 4:30, if we are away I want the temp to be set to 70.

The point of the temp being 5 degrees lower after 4:30 on weekdays and all day on weekends, is we are constantly in and out of the house. I don't want to leave for 2 hours on a Saturday and come home to a house that is 75 degrees and have to wait for it to cool down. On weekdays, we typically don't get home until well after 5. At that point the house has cooled by 5 degrees.

If I set the away scene to set the temp to 75 before going into the schedule, that will work fine for a typical weekday.... but what happens when I have to run home after work to grab something and head back out... and then we don't get home until 8PM. Unless there is an event in the schedule between 5 and 8, my house that was cooling off for me will reset to 75 when I leave and never go back down to 70.

I guess I could create duplicate events in the schedule every hour, or every 30 minutes, so that it would re-engage if we left between those times... but thats going to be a tedious process.

Whatever the solution is, it is not as user friendly or flexible as V1 was. It works exactly as I wanted it to.

I agree with those who say the V2 cannot achieve what V1 presence settings did. the main thing missing is the ability to activate a heating/cooling schedule when someone arrives. Currently you can use a rule to activate a "leaving" scene that puts the heating on a set temperature. You can do the same for an "arriving" scene, but it will hold at one temperature. That's not useful as I want it to switch to a schedule where the heating is on when someone is home but lowered at night. This cannot be achieved currently in V2 like it could in V1, so there is not parity yet.

Hmm wait a minute or is there a way? I have it setting to 55 when an away scene is running, if I set the arriving scene to flip to schedule , and set the schedule to heating during the day and then lower in at night will that achieve parity with the presence settings of V1?  I will need to play with this a bit.