System Backup

4 posts in this topic

I looked though and I didn't see this listed anywhere.   I have a moderately sized system with only 60 devices so far and I have created quite a number of rules and scenes.  I can only imagine how many some of the power users might create.  Some way to save that info if the hub dies, or accidentally gets removed, would be great.

Also a way to replace a device if it dies and not lose all it associated rules.

Part of this exist already it seems.  I had a GE lInk bulb that would not reconnect today.  I finally had to reset it and remove it.  I assumed the rule associated with the bulb would be deleted when It was removed, as was the case in V1.  Not so, however, the rule remained.   I just had to attach the device back to the rule.  So that is a step i the right direction.

Curious, with the total loss of my hub, the tech support people offered to reconnect my newly connected devices back to the rules that were  in place before the hub was lost. Of course I didn't have a list of what rules I had so the offer was basically meaningless to me. Now that I have recreated the rules with devices that have similar names, everything is pretty much back to normal, but I would be nice if there was a list (somewhere) of everything that could have been just downloaded back to the old (or new) hub. I am certain that someone will come up with half a dozen real security concerns, but consider the myriad of problems for those of us who reply on thing like access codes to get in and out of our homes, open garage doors, etc. I suspect that the cost of the T2 technician to support us in rebuilding our systems could have matched the effort to implement a backup system that all of us with 60 devices (or more) would use.