Door Bell
4 4

14 posts in this topic

it just hasn't made sense to me that when you setup a smart button theres a "doorbell" option, but theres nothing you can do with it. And I've never seen any mention of anything with it either...

Well, it does ring a doorbell-like chime on the hub.  It's not loud enough, but it works like a doorbell.  Yours rings in doorbell mode, right?

Also, you can setup Magic Rules with the button AND have it act like a doorbell.  You just have to change the button back into Smart Button mode, create your rules, and then change it back into Doorbell mode. Thus, you could have it turn on lights and Ring like a doorbell. 

Unfortunately, the web site does not list "Send An Email" as an action for the Smart Button.  (At least it didn't let you do this the last time I tried it. It's possible that has changed.)    That said, is possible to set up email notfication via the API's "Rules Wizard".  I configured my doorbell to send me an email. Emails are usually too delayed to be used as an effective alternative to the doorbell chime, but it's still nice to have.  

I wrote up how I used the "rules wizard", but it was posted on the old myeyeoniris.lefora.com forum, and I don't seem to have a cached copy.  I actually wish I still had access to it, as getting the parameters right took some trial and error. If someone is really interested with this part of the API, I might try it again.  

Well, it does ring a doorbell-like chime on the hub.  It's not loud enough, but it works like a doorbell.  Yours rings in doorbell mode, right?

Also, you can setup Magic Rules with the button AND have it act like a doorbell.  You just have to change the button back into Smart Button mode, create your rules, and then change it back into Doorbell mode. Thus, you could have it turn on lights and Ring like a doorbell. 

Unfortunately, the web site does not list "Send An Email" as an action for the Smart Button.  (At least it didn't let you do this the last time I tried it. It's possible that has changed.)    That said, is possible to set up email notfication via the API's "Rules Wizard".  I configured my doorbell to send me an email. Emails are usually too delayed to be used as an effective alternative to the doorbell chime, but it's still nice to have.  

I wrote up how I used the "rules wizard", but it was posted on the old myeyeoniris.lefora.com forum, and I don't seem to have a cached copy.  I actually wish I still had access to it, as getting the parameters right took some trial and error. If someone is really interested with this part of the API, I might try it again.  

Thanks lwalker!  I have one set up as a door bell and just tried your suggestion.  I can't test it until I get home, but it shows "send text message" or "send email" as options for when the button is pressed.  They just don't show up when it is configured as a doorbell.  

Doorbell options:

standard simple doorbell

compatible with existing camera doorbells

Rules (scene) ladder logic (simple drop down) sorry for using simple and dropdown together :P

but enable rule to select what happens when someone rings doorbell. (options like text, and have ability for all devices made by lowes chime or beep when doorbell is pressed, record with camera etc)

You can set a scene to run if a smart button is pushed to control many devices like camera recording. You can also have more than one rule tied to a single button to do multiple things like, the scene, a doorbell ring and send notification when pressed.