Postpone v1 End of Life Until 12/31/16 (At Least...)
3 3

Vote to Postpone v1 End of Life Until 12/31/15  

50 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you think that v1 End of Life should be Postponed until 12/31/15 so that v2 can reach parity?



30 posts in this topic

Many have received the notification that v1 will reach end of life and the web service will be discontinued 6/30/16.  This is way, way too fast.  Reading through the posts here, there are many like me who are on v1 and see the issues (and lack of parity) for v2.  In my particular case, I migrated to v2 for a month and have now moved back to v1.  It's very obvious that v2 is not a mature, stable program.

 

v2 was touted as a great new upgrade, when in fact, it is a beta version on a new platform.  Many features that worked great in v1 do not work at all in v2.  v2 has potential, but it's just not ready yet.  Don't alienate your loyal customers by sticking with the 6/30/16 End of Life plan...it's just too soon.

 

Finally, please realize that IRIS is a security/fire/automation product.  Many use it to secure and protect their homes.  It would be extremely foolish, (and dangerous) to force the new v2 on customers when it is so obviously not ready.  

 

Please delay the End of Life of v1 until 12/31/16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine that the contract Lowes had with AlertMe is expiring on or around June 30th and it would be cost prohibitive to renew.
It probably doesn't matter what we say, I seriously doubt they will reverse this decision...
Reaching parity with V1 before June 30th is probably more likely than Lowes extending the AlertMe contract. (Still unlikely)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine that the contract Lowes had with AlertMe is expiring on or around June 30th and it would be cost prohibitive to renew.

It probably doesn't matter what we say, I seriously doubt they will reverse this decision...

Reaching parity with V1 before June 30th is probably more likely than Lowes extending the AlertMe contract. (Still unlikely)

 

I hear what you are saying, but Lowes is a $56 Billion dollar company(2015).  Iris is small potatoes for them.  They can easily afford to keep Iris up and going through 12/31/16 if they want to maximize user's experiences by not forcing them to v2 before it's ready.   If they want to cut costs and push everyone to v2 before it's at parity that is their choice.  Sticking with them or not is a user's choice.  

 

A company whose only product was Iris would likely work as hard as possible to keep their customers happy.  Where is Lowes at?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can easily afford to keep Iris up and going through 12/31/16 if they want to maximize user's experiences

 

It's not always that simple. There is likely a contract that is in place with some vendor in V1 that expires around this time. Would make sense to me why they are pushing V2 out the door so soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not going to do me any good.  I've already been duped.

 

If you mean you migrated to v2 and your v1 hub was bricked(mine was), I recently picked up a v1 hub new in the box off of Ebay for $30 and migrated back to v1. Also, since the announcement has been made that v1 is EOL on 6/30/16, v1 hubs should be about worthless.  

 

Iris/Lowes really should extend EOL until 12/31/16 to give v2 time to mature.  I'm looking forward to what v2 can do once they catch up feature-wise to v1.  v1 just needs more time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you mean you migrated to v2 and your v1 hub was bricked(mine was), I recently picked up a v1 hub new in the box off of Ebay for $30 and migrated back to v1. Also, since the announcement has been made that v1 is EOL on 6/30/16, v1 hubs should be about worthless.  

 

Iris/Lowes really should extend EOL until 12/31/16 to give v2 time to mature.  I'm looking forward to what v2 can do once they catch up feature-wise to v1.  v1 just needs more time.

So you called IRIS and setup a 2nd hub?  Played like you were new?  What was your approach?  I'm going to do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you called IRIS and setup a 2nd hub?  Played like you were new?  What was your approach?  I'm going to do it!

I would be real surprised if they would let you set up a new account at this point.  Since they have stopped billing and announced it's end date..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be real surprised if they would let you set up a new account at this point.  Since they have stopped billing and announced it's end date..

 

I had trouble setting the v1 hub up, so I called and talked to support.  They ended up deleting my account which allowed me to re-register using the v1 hub.  They told me at the time that v1 was EOL as of 6/30, but allowed me to continue.  I'd recommend calling them before spending the money on the v1 hub to make sure that you will be able to register it.  

 

v1 feels so much better that v2 currently.  Having the web interface makes a huge difference for me.  That being said, if they can get v2, with it's new features as stable as v1 AND with a web interface, I think I'll be happy with it, but I don't think that's going to happen by 6/30.  I really think they should delay EOL until 12/31/16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had trouble setting the v1 hub up, so I called and talked to support.  They ended up deleting my account which allowed me to re-register using the v1 hub.  They told me at the time that v1 was EOL as of 6/30, but allowed me to continue.  I'd recommend calling them before spending the money on the v1 hub to make sure that you will be able to register it.  

 

v1 feels so much better that v2 currently.  Having the web interface makes a huge difference for me.  That being said, if they can get v2, with it's new features as stable as v1 AND with a web interface, I think I'll be happy with it, but I don't think that's going to happen by 6/30.  I really think they should delay EOL until 12/31/16.

"You are a god damn genius Forest Gump!" - I am happy-ish again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've managed software development in my former career.  If there truly is a development roadmap for V2 (a fact I'm starting to doubt), then Lowes should release a high-level timeline for parity feature rollout.  I'm sure that would go a long way to calming a lot of the anxiety I read here and have experienced myself.  "It's coming" is not an answer.......so is the big space rock that will end the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many have received the notification that v1 will reach end of life and the web service will be discontinued 6/30/16.  This is way, way too fast.  Reading through the posts here, there are many like me who are on v1 and see the issues (and lack of parity) for v2.  In my particular case, I migrated to v2 for a month and have now moved back to v1.  It's very obvious that v2 is not a mature, stable program.

 

v2 was touted as a great new upgrade, when in fact, it is a beta version on a new platform.  Many features that worked great in v1 do not work at all in v2.  v2 has potential, but it's just not ready yet.  Don't alienate your loyal customers by sticking with the 6/30/16 End of Life plan...it's just too soon.

 

Finally, please realize that IRIS is a security/fire/automation product.  Many use it to secure and protect their homes.  It would be extremely foolish, (and dangerous) to force the new v2 on customers when it is so obviously not ready.  

 

Please delay the End of Life of v1 until 12/31/16.

 

Do you think they have a lot of problems now, wait till will 7-1-16 - D-Day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be shocked if it is extended, I give it about the same chance as me winning the lottery!  :blink:

 

To be fair, I've moved everything to v2, and it generally is doing fine.  I think the rules/scenes are a little kludgey, but I've got it doing what I need it to do.  I did lose internet due to some storms for half a day and would really like to have local processing which I am assuming is coming "soon".

 

6/30/16 is still too early.  Nowhere near parity with v1, but it is getting better, SLOWLY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be shocked if it is extended, I give it about the same chance as me winning the lottery!  :blink:

 

To be fair, I've moved everything to v2, and it generally is doing fine.  I think the rules/scenes are a little kludgey, but I've got it doing what I need it to do.  I did lose internet due to some storms for half a day and would really like to have local processing which I am assuming is coming "soon".

 

6/30/16 is still too early.  Nowhere near parity with v1, but it is getting better, SLOWLY.

You do know it's been pushed back to 07-31? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
3 3