Turn smartplug on/off using wall switch
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Just curious, why would you want to control a smartplug with a wall switch? Wouldn't that be an unnecessary use of a device?

I have under cabinet lights in the kitchen that I have running via smartplug and activated using a button. It would be nice to turn them on when I turn kitchen lights on using the switch. Also, in general, to be able to use a switch to control other devices - so if I flip a switch, have a rule which would be able to flip other switches/smartplugs/etc at the same time.

You could do it in reverse using the smart button to activate everything. I use that for my Christmas lighting and some exterior lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could do it in reverse using the smart button to activate everything. I use that for my Christmas lighting and some exterior lighting.

Yes, but I agree it would be nice to use a switch to not only control the wiring connected to it, but other devices as well.  We have rooms without a ceiling light and it would be nice to have the wall switch not only turn on an outlet a floor lamp is plugged into, but also other outlets that other lamps and accent lights are connected to. Typically if somebody walks in to a dark room they reach for the light switch on the wall and don't think to look for a button or key fob some place.

I agree this would be a nice feature to add. Hopefully in a generic fashion, so it could be used to turn on/off any other binary devices (outlets, plugs, bulbs, etc.)

I posted some of the below in the "other systems" thread, but certainly belongs here as well in the feature requests as it relates to lighting control and is in line with what the OP is looking for......

1. dimmable plug-in lamp module...[correction.....per Vettester it is now available....my bad]

2. multiple-device wall switch (there are 6 and 8 function Insteon switches available). This allows instant wall-switch access to any user-defined device so you don't need to launch an app to turn on a light!

3. User-definable ramp-up/down rates for dimming.  This really creates some nice dramatic effects in lighting scenes.

4. Programmable hand-held/tabletop remote which can control multiple user-defined devices.  Do I really have to get a bunch of smart buttons and place them on the coffee table?....not

I posted some of the below in the "other systems" thread, but certainly belongs here as well in the feature requests as it relates to lighting control and is in line with what the OP is looking for......

1. dimmable plug-in lamp module...[correction.....per Vettester it is now available....my bad]

http://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Z-Wave-Wireless-Dimmer-Lighting-Lamp-Module/50429968

2. multiple-device wall switch (there are 6 and 8 function Insteon switches available). This allows instant wall-switch access to any user-defined device so you don't need to launch an app to turn on a light!

3. User-definable ramp-up/down rates for dimming. This really creates some nice dramatic effects in lighting scenes.

4. Programmable hand-held/tabletop remote which can control multiple user-defined devices. Do I really have to get a bunch of smart buttons and place them on the coffee table?....not

Per number 2, I'm thinking about buying a cheap tablet and mounting it on the wall. Would be a nice way to access iris without needing to open it on my phone every time.