Glass Break Sensors
2 2

19 posts in this topic

They're made by NYCE controls. As I was beta testing the tilt sensor a while back I was told the glass break sensors would be 2-3 months behind the tilt sensor.  Since the tilt sensor was just released I'd guess another couple of months or so.

They're made by NYCE controls. As I was beta testing the tilt sensor a while back I was told they glass break sensors would be 2-3 months behind the tilt sensor.  Since the tilt sensor was just released I'd guess another couple of months or so.

Thanks.

They have a video for setting up the glass break detectors in the support section now.  Unfortunately experience shows that doesn't guarantee that they'll be available any time soon.

They're made by NYCE controls. As I was beta testing the tilt sensor a while back I was told the glass break sensors would be 2-3 months behind the tilt sensor.  Since the tilt sensor was just released I'd guess another couple of months or so.

You might be right but I haven't find any reference that they are from NYCE, but all info leads me to  https://www.2gig.com/products/glass-break-detector. 

My mistake. NYCE is making the asset protector and not the glass break sensor.

http://nycecontrol.com/products/ncz3031/

I see that you can get the 2gig glass break sensors on ebay.  Anyone know if they will pair with Iris?

They will probably pair but may not have complete functionality such as magic rules. It's my understanding that Iris branded products have their own firmware tweaked for Iris.

I see that you can get the 2gig glass break sensors on ebay.  Anyone know if they will pair with Iris?

Already tried that idea on 4/16/2014.

Got mine off of eBay and it dosn't pair to the hub at all.

HP

Looking at the manual for the 2Gig version it states that it has a radio frequency of 345 Mhz which seems to be a frequency used by proprietary alarm systems.  I'm guessing that the Lowes device will be from the same source but with a zwave or zigbee radio.

You can download the manual for the 2Gig device from the Home Security store.  I would bet that the features will be pretty much identical for the IRIS version.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1674-2gig-gb1-345-2gig-wireless-glass-break-detector.aspx

http://download.homesecuritystore.com/downloadmanual.aspx?FileName=2GIG-GB1-345_Install.pdf

The one they are selling with Iris is actually made by 2Gig that was bought out by Linear (now a Nortek family of companies), not NYCE Controls/Sensors - The buyout is a possible part of the delay and may have the release set back a little. I don't see how the buy-out would cause a speed hump in production, but its possible.

I would love to get my hands on just 1 of them for right now just to test. Like a lot of (well most) glass break sensors, they get prematurely set off in thunderstorms. I work in Law Enforcement and as soon as a thunderstorms rolls in, we get flooded with alarm calls reporting false glass breaks. Wastes our Police Officers time for real calls. I have been against glass break sensors and have told most people I encounter to get motion detectors only, not the glass breaks, as it prevents false alarms. I would like to see if this solution here is better since it is not placed on the glass/window directly and hangs in the room like a smoke detector (according to the video on our main page). I assume it detects some type of noise like a glass break, but wonder if it detects like a change of pressure similar to the feeling you feel when thunder claps. Will be interested to see. Hopefully it come out before the end of storm season or will have to wait for a while to really get a good test on it.

The one they are selling with Iris is actually made by 2Gig that was bought out by Linear (now a Nortek family of companies), not NYCE Controls/Sensors - The buyout is a possible part of the delay and may have the release set back a little. I don't see how the buy-out would cause a speed hump in production, but its possible.

I would love to get my hands on just 1 of them for right now just to test. Like a lot of (well most) glass break sensors, they get prematurely set off in thunderstorms. I work in Law Enforcement and as soon as a thunderstorms rolls in, we get flooded with alarm calls reporting false glass breaks. Wastes our Police Officers time for real calls. I have been against glass break sensors and have told most people I encounter to get motion detectors only, not the glass breaks, as it prevents false alarms. I would like to see if this solution here is better since it is not placed on the glass/window directly and hangs in the room like a smoke detector (according to the video on our main page). I assume it detects some type of noise like a glass break, but wonder if it detects like a change of pressure similar to the feeling you feel when thunder claps. Will be interested to see. Hopefully it come out before the end of storm season or will have to wait for a while to really get a good test on it.

Your experience is in-line with what I've heard about previous generations of glassbreak detectors (shock and microphone sensors) which were extremely prone to false alarms (thunderstorms, jingling of keys, dropping silverware on a floor...etc.).  If the current generation of units, including the one from 2Gig/Linear, are representative of the latest GB detector offerings from the alarm giants, these should be miles and miles ahead of the older generation units.  Looking at the GB product sheet on the 2Gig site seems to list "Dual shatter recognition technology" as a feature.  I'm pretty sure, but not completely certain, that these units do in fact, listen to the sound of glass shattering with the below algorithm:

- First stage - Recognition of glass flexing prior to shattering (when an intruder first makes impact to the glass)

- Second stage - Actual shattering of the glass

Only if the device recognizes these two events will the detector signal an alarm.  Again, this is my best guess but I would be really surprised if the above tech. was not implemented for IRIS-bound units.

Already tried that idea on 4/16/2014.

Got mine off of eBay and it dosn't pair to the hub at all.

HP

HP,  I just thought about something.  I have now bought 5 of the glass break sensors from Lowe's and none of them would pair out of the box.  I had to reset each one of them by pressing the button 5 times (one second per press which is not always easy).  After a successful reset they would pair correctly.  You know the device has been reset properly when you get a long single flash of the green led after the reset.  Have you tried this on the units you bought off of Ebay?

If you have the model built for 2GIG, I'm not seeing a real reason why it would actually pair with IRIS.  Their internal transceiver is based on a wireless 345Mhz frequency that the 2GIG panel communicates with all of its wireless devices.  IRIS devices are fitted with a Z-Wave based (900Mhz) transceiver.

Excerpt from 2GIG Glass Break specs on frequency:

Transmitter Frequency: 345.000 MHz (crystal controlled)

Transmitter Frequency Tolerance: ±15kHz

Transmitter Bandwidth: 24kHz

HP,  I just thought about something.  I have now bought 5 of the glass break sensors from Lowe's and none of them would pair out of the box.  I had to reset each one of them by pressing the button 5 times (one second per press which is not always easy).  After a successful reset they would pair correctly.  You know the device has been reset properly when you get a long single flash of the green led after the reset.  Have you tried this on the units you bought off of Ebay?

InkyRag, where did you find the reset info.  I bought 6 glass breaks this past weekend.  I couldn't get them to pair either until a member of this forum mentioned the orphaned device removal procedure (devices/advanced/remove Z-wave device).  Piece of cake once I realized that all my glass breaks came out of the box orphaned. I assume from being tested on a test hub then not being removed before being shipped.  I removed each orphaned glass break and added them one at a time.  I have about 25 devices and plan to get more.  Great Forum. 

InkyRag, where did you find the reset info.  I bought 6 glass breaks this past weekend.  I couldn't get them to pair either until a member of this forum mentioned the orphaned device removal procedure (devices/advanced/remove Z-wave device).  Piece of cake once I realized that all my glass breaks came out of the box orphaned. I assume from being tested on a test hub then not being removed before being shipped.  I removed each orphaned glass break and added them one at a time.  I have about 25 devices and plan to get more.  Great Forum. 

The glass break sensor reset instructions came from Iris support.

The glass break sensor reset procedure described above is spot on!  I have two of these installed on my system and had to reset both before pairing them with my hub.  The good folks at IRIS should post the reset procedure on their website.  In lieu of this, the manufacture should either reset the glass break sensors prior to shipment or include the reset procedure as an addendum to their instructions.