My .02 Cents. V02 - Bad Idea.
2 2

31 posts in this topic

This is my first post. I came here with high hopes of finding some answers, which I found, though they were very disappointing answers. I'm now hoping someone from Iris/Lowes will see this and fire some folks. With that said, I realize that this post will get the usual "who is this guy", "who does this guy think he is", etc., but all I care about is the Iris/Lowe's person who says "Darn, wish we had talked to our consumers more and leveraged things like Big Data to collect consumer utilization data".  Furthermore, I realize that there are folks in this forum that are compensated one way or another by Iris/Lowe's to provide "friendly" posts, so if this is you, just don't even bother with a reply.

Without going into too much detail, I am incredibly tech aware, as it's been my career for nearly two decades, so nothing I'm about to post can be considered "user error". So I'll start with this thought - who's heard of a concept called "MVP"? It has nothing to do with sports. In this context, it stands for Minimally Viable Product. It's a concept of development and consumer testing; companies such as Toyota have helped perfect it over years. In this case, it's a joke. MVPs are most often used to test a NEW product, not a replacement product for a consumer device that has worked well. In this case, Iris/Lowe's created an MVP for a replacement product that was a complete joke!

I was a V1 user for a long time. I paid for the premium subscription for more than two years and constantly raved about Iris to my colleagues and friends. I loved it. Was I a guy with 2-300 devices connected? Absolutely not, but I used it for security and a few other features. My primary reasons for using this product were simple: I wanted to know when a door/window was opened (i.e. notification and door/window chime), I wanted to be notified when a leak sensor was tripped, and I wanted the smart thermostat.  Iris V1 was perfect! It worked well, was pretty reliable (minus the stupid requirements for direct connection to the router), and the mobile app did what I needed it too. I was happy, and paid my bills every month knowing it was worth it.

Then the V2 came out. I was one of the first to submit my request for the V2 hub and was excited. When I received it and realized that the morons who wrote the code didn't start with the concept of migration, I waited. Thank GOD I did. So finally the migration method was made available and I finally had the time to go through it. I decided to take the plunge! That's when the issues really started.

Just like so many others in the forums, I felt that the lack of a web-based management portal could be dealt with, as I had hoped the mobile app provided the same functionality. Immediately I realized that wasn't the case, as troubleshooting issues became nearly impossible (what's funny about this is if you're properly writing apps, starting with a functional web-app and porting it to a mobile app isn't that difficult anymore. If it is, then take a look at Pivotal Cloud Foundry as a tool to help). Then to find out that several of my devices, simple things such as a range extender, wouldn't work properly (found this out after three support calls). It just got worse from there, so rather than lots of paragraphs, I'll just list them out:

1)  Simple physical things: Immediately I noticed that Iris/Lowe's didn't even consider what their customers may have done from a physical installation perspective. The V2 hub didn't even have mounting holes that matched the V1?  What about consumers who specially mounted this in their network closet or mini-IDF?
2)  Next, they decided (no real reason for it except to again force the consumers hand) to change the power supply and power connection. What about the consumers who ran their power cords through cable management systems?
3)  No web app for your consumers who prefer that. This is obvious.
4)  Devices that worked on the V1 were not supported on V2, even though the V2 hub still supported the same protocols.
5)  Changed the door/window chime without giving the consumer a way to change it back, including the removal of the volume control. This is completely stupid and unnecessary. If anything, they should have given the consumer more sound choices and greater control.
6)  The migration process. Seriously, yeah it moved my devices, but didn't warn me about ones that wouldn't work properly. Second, the disclaimer about "disables your V1 hub" is a joke. When you say disable, most people read that as yes it's disabled, but support should be able to re-enable it. The fact that it's truly disabled and cannot be reused is a joke! It gives the consumer no backout strategy. This was the last straw for me.

There's more, but those are the big ones. The fact that I have no backout strategy and they've already announced the EOSL dates for the V1 tells me this: Iris/Lowe's found a vulnerability in their system that probably has an easy to recreate and find exploit that they have determined un-fixable in their architecture. This is why they are forcing every user into a piece of crap.

After all of this, I immediately cancelled my subscription and deleted every device so I can reuse them on a consumer friendly device. I immediately ordered the Vera Plus and will never look back (even though I don't have it yet). I've spent a small fortune over the years with Lowe's, and I would have expected much more from them.  Sure hope this helps others in their decisions when looking at home automation systems.

Oh yeah, and I have a V2 Hub, barely used if anyone wants it, 10 bucks plus shipping and its yours, just PM me.

It's no secret Lowe's has completely dropped the ball with the transition to V2... I don't blame the dev team they had a pretty monumental task of essentially coding everything from scratch since V1 was actually AlertMe, a British company that got bought out by British Gas and then shuttered. I think the developers have made some amazing strides in functionality since V2 was released. However there is no question V2 was released prematurely and half baked. The blame falls squarely on the upper management, they treated their existing V1 user base as beta testers instead of doing their own in house testing before release. Then they decided to EOL V1 before parity was reached, forcing users to "upgrade" and lose features such as local processing, cellular backup and a web interface just to name a few. This has undoubtedly left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths but the reality is I don't think Lowe's cares much. I am confident they will eventually have a profitable, stable & robust system, but it will have been built on the backs of the early adopters, forged by their blood sweat and tears :) The general public has no concept of V2 issues, frankly I doubt many people know it exists if my local Lowe's is any indictation. They have put zero effort into marketing this system. The in store display is a dismal hodge lodge of V1 and V2 components lacking proper product facing. I believe this is all part of the plan, they don't want to push the system until it is viable. Anyway you have obviously moved on to greener pastures so best of luck, I cut my loses and moved on months ago.

Amen! Or +1000!

This is my first post. I came here with high hopes of finding some answers, which I found, though they were very disappointing answers. I'm now hoping someone from Iris/Lowes will see this and fire some folks. With that said, I realize that this post will get the usual "who is this guy", "who does this guy think he is", etc., but all I care about is the Iris/Lowe's person who says "Darn, wish we had talked to our consumers more and leveraged things like Big Data to collect consumer utilization data".  Furthermore, I realize that there are folks in this forum that are compensated one way or another by Iris/Lowe's to provide "friendly" posts, so if this is you, just don't even bother with a reply.

Without going into too much detail, I am incredibly tech aware, as it's been my career for nearly two decades, so nothing I'm about to post can be considered "user error". So I'll start with this thought - who's heard of a concept called "MVP"? It has nothing to do with sports. In this context, it stands for Minimally Viable Product. It's a concept of development and consumer testing; companies such as Toyota have helped perfect it over years. In this case, it's a joke. MVPs are most often used to test a NEW product, not a replacement product for a consumer device that has worked well. In this case, Iris/Lowe's created an MVP for a replacement product that was a complete joke!

I was a V1 user for a long time. I paid for the premium subscription for more than two years and constantly raved about Iris to my colleagues and friends. I loved it. Was I a guy with 2-300 devices connected? Absolutely not, but I used it for security and a few other features. My primary reasons for using this product were simple: I wanted to know when a door/window was opened (i.e. notification and door/window chime), I wanted to be notified when a leak sensor was tripped, and I wanted the smart thermostat.  Iris V1 was perfect! It worked well, was pretty reliable (minus the stupid requirements for direct connection to the router), and the mobile app did what I needed it too. I was happy, and paid my bills every month knowing it was worth it.

Then the V2 came out. I was one of the first to submit my request for the V2 hub and was excited. When I received it and realized that the morons who wrote the code didn't start with the concept of migration, I waited. Thank GOD I did. So finally the migration method was made available and I finally had the time to go through it. I decided to take the plunge! That's when the issues really started.

Just like so many others in the forums, I felt that the lack of a web-based management portal could be dealt with, as I had hoped the mobile app provided the same functionality. Immediately I realized that wasn't the case, as troubleshooting issues became nearly impossible (what's funny about this is if you're properly writing apps, starting with a functional web-app and porting it to a mobile app isn't that difficult anymore. If it is, then take a look at Pivotal Cloud Foundry as a tool to help). Then to find out that several of my devices, simple things such as a range extender, wouldn't work properly (found this out after three support calls). It just got worse from there, so rather than lots of paragraphs, I'll just list them out:

1)  Simple physical things: Immediately I noticed that Iris/Lowe's didn't even consider what their customers may have done from a physical installation perspective. The V2 hub didn't even have mounting holes that matched the V1?  What about consumers who specially mounted this in their network closet or mini-IDF?

2)  Next, they decided (no real reason for it except to again force the consumers hand) to change the power supply and power connection. What about the consumers who ran their power cords through cable management systems?

3)  No web app for your consumers who prefer that. This is obvious.

4)  Devices that worked on the V1 were not supported on V2, even though the V2 hub still supported the same protocols.

5)  Changed the door/window chime without giving the consumer a way to change it back, including the removal of the volume control. This is completely stupid and unnecessary. If anything, they should have given the consumer more sound choices and greater control.

6)  The migration process. Seriously, yeah it moved my devices, but didn't warn me about ones that wouldn't work properly. Second, the disclaimer about "disables your V1 hub" is a joke. When you say disable, most people read that as yes it's disabled, but support should be able to re-enable it. The fact that it's truly disabled and cannot be reused is a joke! It gives the consumer no backout strategy. This was the last straw for me.

There's more, but those are the big ones. The fact that I have no backout strategy and they've already announced the EOSL dates for the V1 tells me this: Iris/Lowe's found a vulnerability in their system that probably has an easy to recreate and find exploit that they have determined un-fixable in their architecture. This is why they are forcing every user into a piece of crap.

After all of this, I immediately cancelled my subscription and deleted every device so I can reuse them on a consumer friendly device. I immediately ordered the Vera Plus and will never look back (even though I don't have it yet). I've spent a small fortune over the years with Lowe's, and I would have expected much more from them.  Sure hope this helps others in their decisions when looking at home automation systems.

Oh yeah, and I have a V2 Hub, barely used if anyone wants it, 10 bucks plus shipping and its yours, just PM me.

"... The V2 hub didn't even have mounting holes that matched the V1?"

Funny, that's my biggest out of box complaint. I don't want to climb up and re-mount the damned thing. :)

Please post a summary of your experience with Vera Plus once you get it setup.

Many of us are keeping a close eye on SmartThings and Vera, since Lowes has pigeon-holed us, making platform migration our only TRUE backout strategy thus far. 

they are based on the same low power wireless protocols, so they should.  i will let you know.  The Vera Plus is set to arrive middle of next week, apparently manufacturing couldn't keep up with demand so it was back ordered.  I'll let you know how things go.

If you're talking about v1 sensors, I haven't heard of anyone getting v1 contact or motion sensor to work on any other system.  They reportedly use a slightly broken or proprietary version of the zigbee protocol.  v2 sensors have been reported to work with Smart Things but I don't know about anything else.

I really enjoyed making all new brackets to mount new hub (/sarcasm).  While the system is faster and more responsive, they made so many other unbelievably bad decisions. 

- I found out my garage door controller is no longer a security device when I opened the garage door and didn't set off the alarm. The Tech I got was not aware of the change in V2 either until I called. Luckily I had a camera in the garage I could add as a security device, but I went for quite some time with an unsecured garage thanks to their undocumented change while we are all playing beta testers.

- What were they thinking on the 2nd gen keypads? There can be some be a balance between battery life and looks. To date Ive never changed the batteries in my first gen keypad. Today I mounted a second first gen keypad by the back door. Now of they'd just bring the voices back on the first gen key pads when alarms are armed.

- Why is email the default notification for for water leaks that are detected? If you want a text message you must set up a rule for each leak detector individually.  

- Same applies for lights. Alarms goes off, want to turn on lights so your cameras can actually get good videos of the bad guys (that you wont be able to download anyways)? You have to create  rule for each light individually. Selecting multiple lights at once would make things too easy.

- The thermostat control, is well lacking to say the least. Scheduling is a pain. What happened to the filter reset?

- What happened to battery levels of devices being displayed? Will we even be told when a device's battery is dead, or will it just drop off for no reason? How about just a notification that a device has a gone off line? V2 doesn't even bother to notify me that a device has disappeared, even if that device is important to the alarm system.

- Remember when V1 used to give you an alert that the system had gone off line, or lost power, that was a pretty useful feature.

I will say though Iris tech support is always been very good. My list above, is not a complete list, its just things I can think of right now. Usually a call to Iris and they've been able to get my problem solved or a work around. I see this as no different than the early days of V1. In the early days in V1 Lowes treated the early adopters as guinea pigs, and they're doing it again.

I really enjoyed making all new brackets to mount new hub (/sarcasm). While the system is faster and more responsive, they made so many other unbelievably bad decisions.

- I found out my garage door controller is no longer a security device when I opened the garage door and didn't set off the alarm. The Tech I got was not aware of the change in V2 either until I called. Luckily I had a camera in the garage I could add as a security device, but I went for quite some time with an unsecured garage thanks to their undocumented change while we are all playing beta testers.

- What were they thinking on the 2nd gen keypads? There can be some be a balance between battery life and looks. To date Ive never changed the batteries in my first gen keypad. Today I mounted a second first gen keypad by the back door. Now of they'd just bring the voices back on the first gen key pads when alarms are armed.

- Why is email the default notification for for water leaks that are detected? If you want a text message you must set up a rule for each leak detector individually.

- Same applies for lights. Alarms goes off, want to turn on lights so your cameras can actually get good videos of the bad guys (that you wont be able to download anyways)? You have to create rule for each light individually. Selecting multiple lights at once would make things too easy.

- The thermostat control, is well lacking to say the least. Scheduling is a pain. What happened to the filter reset?

- What happened to battery levels of devices being displayed? Will we even be told when a device's battery is dead, or will it just drop off for no reason? How about just a notification that a device has a gone off line? V2 doesn't even bother to notify me that a device has disappeared, even if that device is important to the alarm system.

- Remember when V1 used to give you an alert that the system had gone off line, or lost power, that was a pretty useful feature.

I will say though Iris tech support is always been very good. My list above, is not a complete list, its just things I can think of right now. Usually a call to Iris and they've been able to get my problem solved or a work around. I see this as no different than the early days of V1. In the early days in V1 Lowes treated the early adopters as guinea pigs, and they're doing it again.

I will tell you I am not pleased with Iris V2, it was not thought out well and is obviously something they threw together. This is not a system that has the look or feel of home automation. I'm doing a complete reset this week and if it does not improve my experience, the local Lowes manager will be in tears before I leave.

There is a work around on text message, you can direct texts to an email address that texts to your phone. There are several posts about it. I've been using it for several weeks with moderate success.

The Radio Thermostats and V2 don't seem to like each other on some systems. Mine does everything right now but turn the schedule back on when you arrive home. Filters? Bah, just open it and look (sarcasm added)

The garage door issue seems to be about getting permission from the manufacturer.

As for V2 devices, I own one and it is already broken. My wife bought a V2 fob and it came apart on her key ring after 6 weeks. The new devices appear to have a lower quality standard from the first generation.

You can write a scene to bring all your lights on and trigger it several ways.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, V2 is not going to be as friendly as V1.

But improvements are just around the corner (cough cough)

the local Lowes manager will be in tears before I leave.

To be fair it's not anything the local Lowe's manager has any control over.

There is a work around on text message, you can direct texts to an email address that texts to your phone. There are several posts about it. I've been using it for several weeks with moderate success.

Yeah, but I keep email off my phone for a reason (and I know you mean email to text). I don't want email alerts each time I get a spam message etc. I'm sure I could filter that junk out. It'd be just one more email account I'd have to keep track of too. I just setup the rules, one by one, for each leak detector.

Filters? Bah, just open it and look (sarcasm added)

I change all the filters first of the month anyways, furnace, fish tanks etc, it's not that hard to remember. Just Aggravating when they "upgrade" something but remove all sorts of "features". It should have started with at least the base functionality of what V1 had, then they could have built on that.

The garage door issue seems to be about getting permission from the manufacturer.

Seems to me they would just be issuing commands, receiving information from the device right? Why would they need any new rights / permissions from the manufacturer? Even then at least be up front with the customers like myself who were relying on that as a security device, and let us know hey your garage is no longer secure. Rather than try and hide what they were doing.

You can write a scene to bring all your lights on and trigger it several ways.

Yeah, I keep forgetting scene seem to be the work arounds for being scheduling and selecting multiple things.

But improvements are just around the corner (cough cough)

I keep hearing that. Updates kept appearing, but they seem to have slowed down.

I'd like to see them allow two different accounts. I forgot about that. In V1, my wife and I could have two different logins. So both of our smart phones had different logins, so when she armed the alarm from her phone it said her name, when I did it from my phone it said my name. V2 this is not possible.

To be fair it's not anything the local Lowe's manager has any control over.

But, and it is a big BUT. The manager of that store saw many of my dollars go through his store for Iris products, therefore he is the representative of the corporate entity of Lowes and he gets to experience me at my best.

The first manager I talked to, didn't give two hoots in a holler about me, Iris, or losing my business.

If this reset I am doing later in the week doesn't work then all the proprietary Iris devices; motion sensors, contact sensors, key fobs, the glorious garage door openers (all 3) are going back. I'm not sure what I'll use for home automation but I'll find something.

I want to use Iris, I really do, but I can't operate a home operation system then have to back it up with an ancient Nutone hard wired alarm system. That's just silly.

I'd like to see them allow two different accounts. I forgot about that. In V1, my wife and I could have two different logins. So both of our smart phones had different logins, so when she armed the alarm from her phone it said her name, when I did it from my phone it said my name. V2 this is not possible.

This is scheduled for 1.10 due out very soon.

If this reset I am doing later in the week doesn't work then all the proprietary Iris devices; motion sensors, contact sensors, key fobs, the glorious garage door openers (all 3) are going back. I'm not sure what I'll use for home automation but I'll find something.

I want to use Iris, I really do, but I can't operate a home operation system then have to back it up with an ancient Nutone hard wired alarm system. That's just silly.

I'm confident that if you perform a complete hub reset along with a reset on all devices you'll find yourself with a stable system.

That was truly the straw that sent me packing.  Had perfectly good V1 keypads that they wrecked with that terrible buzz instead of the chime.  So, I replaced them with V2 keypads which required patching holes in the wall, and also use expensive batteries that drained at least once a month (they may be better now - at the time my hub would be flashing red at least once a week, and the batteries have not needed changed since they've been paired with my SmartThings hub).

Maybe Lowe's is bending over backwards to accommodate some odd request from the manufacturer (despite the GDO being labeled a Lowe's device), but while the very same Lowe's-branded garage door is limited on Iris, but can be used for everything that's being requested when paired to other platforms.

That was truly the straw that sent me packing.  Had perfectly good V1 keypads that they wrecked with that terrible buzz instead of the chime.  So, I replaced them with V2 keypads which required patching holes in the wall, and also use expensive batteries that drained at least once a month (they may be better now - at the time my hub would be flashing red at least once a week, and the batteries have not needed changed since they've been paired with my SmartThings hub).

The buzz isn't the greatest sound effect, it maybe something they change eventually. Either way, they work for the time being. The fact that the battery don't drain with your SmartThings hub, lead me to believe Iris will also get V2 keypads sorted out as well (it's just a matter of how long it takes).

Maybe it's just me but the buzz sound effect seems like a silly reason to swap to the V2 keypad, especially with the reviews of them. Sort of out of the frying pan into fire. I like the looks of the V2 keypads, which made me look at them for a moment, but after the reviews of them, I hunted down another new V1 keypad on eBay.

The fact that the battery don't drain with your SmartThings hub, lead me to believe Iris will also get V2 keypads sorted out as well (it's just a matter of how long it takes).

I've had my V2 keypads for over 6 months now and haven't had to change the batteries yet.

Yeah, but I keep email off my phone for a reason (and I know you mean email to text). I don't want email alerts each time I get a spam message etc. I'm sure I could filter that junk out. It'd be just one more email account I'd have to keep track of too.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'm not sure you actually understand how this works. This is not using your existing email account, spam you get to your normal email account is in no way connected to this completely separate address.... You say you don't want email alerts each time you get a spam message; don't ever give out this special email address and you wont get any spam sent to it (if this was a problem, you would already be experiencing this now, as this email already exists although you haven't given it out to anyone) You say that it would be just one more email account to keep track of, but there is no email ACCOUNT to keep track of. It's simply a forwarding email address that you ALREADY have that delivers to you via text message.

If you have a mobile phone with a major carrier this is ALREADY setup. If your grandmother has an old flip phone and has never had an email address in her life, she has this too and it works today.  If I had your phone number and knew what carrier you used, I could send an email right now which would arrive as a text message to your phone.

Nothing to setup, nothing to manage, all you need to do is find out what the format is for the email address for your carrier, and plug that into the place in iris where you enter your email.

This will work even better after "people" is introduced in this next update... this way this special email address from your cell phone carrier doesn't have to be your main iris email address. So when they send out an email such as news or updates, they will not be delivered via text.

You could setup a new person (call it "text me" or whatever you want) and assign it the privileges to get whatever notifications you want, using that special email address.

If you have at&t, this email address follows the format: 10digitphonenumber@txt.att.net

If you have verizon it would be 10digitphonenumber@vtext.com

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'm not sure you actually understand how this works.

If you have at&t, this email address follows the format: 10digitphonenumber@txt.att.net

If you have verizon it would be 10digitphonenumber@vtext.com

I had an idea, at what you where going for. I had forgotten about those emails above (I used to use the vtext one when I was with Verizon), unfortunately, I'm not using either one of those carriers these days. The discount carrier coverage is excellent where I live these days. That being said, I'd still prefer SMS over Push notifications. However that I've already made the appropriate permission changes to my phone to allow Iris to run in the background, and allow push notifications to make it through. (I tend to not allow things to run in the background or have data if they don't need it)

Thanks for the clarification.

So I swear I remember reading somewhere either on here or on the Iris support website, that (on V2) once a device's battery got to 30% it would register as low battery. Today I came home from the store, went to disarm my alarm from with my phone and found I had three offline devices. Thought that was odd. After some checking (with a multi-meter) these devices were offline because the batteries were dead. No warning, no low battery indication, just went offline. Fresh batteries and everything was good to go again.

So I swear I remember reading somewhere either on here or on the Iris support website, that (on V2) once a device's battery got to 30% it would register as low battery. Today I came home from the store, went to disarm my alarm from with my phone and found I had three offline devices. Thought that was odd. After some checking (with a multi-meter) these devices were offline because the batteries were dead. No warning, no low battery indication, just went offline. Fresh batteries and everything was good to go again.

I've had devices fall off for low battery all the while the app shows battery OK more than I care to talk about. The battery level reporting is not accurate but it will report disconnected after 24 hours which would be not so good if it were an alarm sensor.

That's why I started this poll to give us quicker reporting times for a disconnected device.  Please make your vote count.

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/1524-device-disconnection-notification/

I've had devices fall off for low battery all the while the app shows battery OK more than I care to talk about. The battery level reporting is not accurate but it will report disconnected after 24 hours which would be not so good if it were an alarm sensor.

That's why I started this poll to give us quicker reporting times for a disconnected device.  Please make your vote count.

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/1524-device-disconnection-notification/

Done. Shocking, no one thinks it's acceptable to wait 24 hours to be notified something is wrong?

Had to pay the $10 a pair locally for the batteries to get those sensors back up and running. However ordered more for the other sensors online, as I figure more sensors have to be getting close, as most of my sensors are similar in age.

Done. Shocking, no one thinks it's acceptable to wait 24 hours to be notified something is wrong?

Had to pay the $10 a pair locally for the batteries to get those sensors back up and running. However ordered more for the other sensors online, as I figure more sensors have to be getting close, as most of my sensors are similar in age.

These seem to occur more for the V1s that used the original "Minamoto" CR2 batteries where one day they would read fine on a multimeter (unloaded) but once they are depleted, they go straight to 0.7V.  It prevented the V1 devices to report the true state of charge on those Minamotos.  I've since replaced my CR2s with rechargeable ones and they present a consistent voltage dropoff when they become depleted, and the V1 devices do have an opportunity to report low battery.

These seem to occur more for the V1s that the original "Minamoto" CR2 batteries where one day they would read fine on a multimeter (unloaded) but once they are depleted, they go straight to 0.7V.  It prevented the V1 devices to report the true state of charge on those Minamotos.  I've since replaced my CR2s with rechargeable ones and they present a consistent voltage dropoff when they become depleted, and the V1 devices do have an opportunity to report low battery.

These were Duracells, that were sitting at 3.01-3.02v. Are the Minamoto the white generic ones?  I think I have a few devices that have those. I order Energizers as replacements. 

What kind of life are you getting out of rechargeables?

I had assumed 3 volts flat was dead for the CR2, I couldnt find anything specfic though