How to Take Total Control of your Iris Cameras with the API
12 12

121 posts in this topic

All of my cameras are now up and running and are independent of a hub.  Some wired, some wireless and some utilizing mirror and flip, all using full 1280x720 resolution.

Note:  As far as I know his only works if you have not yet paired to Iris Version 2.0.  Your camera must have the Iris v1 firmware on it.  I have never reset and tried this on a camera that has had v2 firmware on it.  If you try it with a camera with v2 firmware on it and the default password works let me know and I will update this post.

Edit:  This works on any Iris camera as long as it has been fully reset.  Thanks for testing Vettester.

Also note that if you reset and pair to either Iris hub your settings that you applied with the API will be lost.  The idea here it to be able to use the cameras with third party software or to view them in a web browser until such time as we have local viewing in v2.  After all, the only real reason to have cameras paired to Iris is to have them record upon alarm.  But for everyday checking of your home, children and pets you need independent viewing applications that have capabilities above and beyond what can be expected from the Iris app.  First and foremost is to be able to view them all at one time in real time.  It is beyond cumbersome to  navigate through the Iris app to view numerous cameras with streaming delays and the ability to see only one camera at a time.  Besides, I don't need Iris to do this, there are programs and apps that have been in development for years that are very good at this and there is no need for the developers to waste time recreating these features and bogging up the Iris app.  Just give us access to the cameras and record from them during alarm, that's all we need.

First thing to do is to remove the device from the Iris hub and connect the camera to your network via an ethernet cable.  Make note of the cameras ip address.  It is a good idea to set a static ip address in your router so that you can keep track of where your cameras are on the network.  Wait for an ok response in your browser before moving to the next url command.

Next enter this url in your web browser.

yourcamerasipaddress/adm/get_group.cgi?group=NETWORK

substituting yourcamerasipaddress with the actual address. You will be prompted for a username and password.  Enter the following:

Isername: alertme

Password: nFQTEm*s67uxuF**a2vAth7RoJ

This password and logon will only work if you have reset your camera.  For anyone wondering I found this password in the wild here: https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2013/11/hacking-around-with-network-cameras/

Now let’s make sure that the camera is fully reset.  Enter the following url in your web browser:

yourcamerasipaddress/adm/reset_to_default.cgi

Then enter this url and wait for the camera to reboot:

yourcamerasipaddress/adm/reboot.cgi

Now it is time to start setting it up.  Let’s get the highest resolution and widest field of view possible by entering the following urls waiting for an ok response after each one.  I actually gained some field of view from what I had before:

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=H264&resolution=4

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=JPEG&resolution=4

If you need mirror and flip enter the following:

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=VIDEO&flip=1

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=VIDEO&mirror=1

Now let’s set the time zone by entering the url below (changing the number 7) to whichever timezone number that you need from the following:

2 (GMT-10:00) Hawaii

3 (GMT-09:00) Alaska

4 (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada), Tijuana

5 (GMT-07:00) Arizona

6 (GMT-07:00) Chihuahua, La Paz, Mazatlan

7 (GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

8 (GMT-06:00) Central America

9 (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

13 (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=SYSTEM&time_zone=7

Now turn on daylight savings time by entering:

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=SYSTEM&daylight_saving=1

Now get your wireless setup by entering the following changing the number 2 in the security url to the number for the protocol you use using on your router from the following chart:

0 - None

1 - WEP

2 - WPA/WPA2-PSK

3 - WPA PSK TKIP

4 - WPA PSK AES

5 - WPA2 PSK TKIP

6 - WPA2 PSK AES

7 - WPA enterprise

8 - WPA PSK

9 - WPA2 PSK

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS&wlan_essid=thessidnamethatyourrouteruses

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS&wlan_domain=12

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS&wlan_security=2

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS&wpa_ascii=thewirelessnetworkpassword

Here is how to check your wireless settings

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/get_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS

Now let’s change the camera password and logon to something that you can remember by entering

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=USER&admin_password=yoursecretpassword

When you enter the next url, you will be prompted for logon credentials.  Enter alertme as the logon and the new password that you entered above

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=USER&admin_name=yournewusername

From this point forward your new password and logon will work.

When it is time to pair to v2 all you have to do is perform a total reset on the cameras and they will revert to the original alertme password, logon and defaults.

Below you will find a link to more api information.  Somethings that I'd like to play with going forward is frame rates and maybe how to turn on the microsd card slot and its associated settings. 

https://github.com/edent/Sercomm-API/blob/master/README.md

Thevolget has posted a link to a pdf of the complete API here:

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/2633-how-to-take-total-control-of-your-iris-cameras-with-the-api/&do=findComment&comment=32284

Local Viewing is enabled by default after resetting the cameras and they behave as they did in v1 by allowing you to view them without a password on your network.  If you would like to secure them and only allow viewing of the camera with the admin password and log on you can toggle this by using following API call.

cameraip/adm/set_group.cgi?group=USER&login_check=1

Changing the 1 to a 0 will re-enable local viewing without a password.

-----------------------------------

Thanks to member TheBagMan for finding this.  If you need to turn off the IR light to disable night vision the settings are as follows.  This is useful if you would like a camera to look out of a window and will eliminate the reflection of the IR light in the glass.

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=VIDEO&dn_sch=

0=auto

1=schedule

2=force day (disables IR shutter)

3=force night

-------------------------------------

You can now view your cameras with the new settings and no delays or lags in real time by entering this url into any web browser of third party software.

http://yourcamerasipaddress/img/snapshot.cgi?img=vga

Or for higher quality viewing with most third party software packages.

rtsp://yourcamerasipaddress/img/video.sav

Note for IP Camviewer users.  I have found that selecting Generic URL for the camera type and the above URL works best.

-------------------------------------

There is also a mic and speaker that can be enabled, so two way sound is possible on these cameras

--------------------------------------

The microsd slot can also be enabled and you can have it record on a schedule or motion with audio.  We just have to sort through the settings.

[sDCARD]

sdcard_rec_enable=0

sdcard_rec_event_enable=0

sdcard_rec_audio_enable=0

sdcard_rec_file_ctrl=1

sdcard_rec_file_size=10

sdcard_rec_disk_ctrl=0

sdcard_rec_duration=60

sdcard_rec_stream_id=1

sdcard_rec_filename_prefix=

sdcard_rec_event_prefix=

sdcard_rec_schedule=

sdcard_rec_schedule1=

sdcard_rec_schedule2=

sdcard_rec_schedule3=

sdcard_rec_schedule4=

sdcard_rec_schedule5=

sdcard_rec_schedule6=

sdcard_rec_schedule7=

sdcard_rec_schedule8=

sdcard_rec_schedule9=

sdcard_rec_schedule10=

Note:  As far as I know his only works if you have not yet paired to Iris Version 2.0.  Your camera must have the Iris v1 firmware on it.  I have never reset and tried this on a camera that has had v2 firmware on it.  If you try it with a camera with v2 firmware on it and the default password works let me know and I will update this post.

I have verified that this works on an indoor camera that was paired to a V2 hub.  Thanks Otto!

WOW!!

A couple of questions.  Does this allow control of camera settings beyond the V2 or V1 hubs?  My guess from reading this is yes but for us non geeks, it would help to know.  If I read correctly, you now have sound??  Very interesting that the camera is capable of ALOT more than the V1 or V2 hubs allow.  Is there control of color v B&W.  I recall we had that capability in the V1 hub but it is not yet migrated to V2?

Finally, is this going to be part of the "work in progress" of the cameras that some on this board were talking about??  {speculation encouraged}.

Thanks for sharing! 

So I have a Sony 4K Smart TV that has the Android platform built into it.  I installed TinyCam Pro on the TV  and now I'm able to view my camera feed on a 65" screen that is upscaled to 4K.  I don't have any SD cards laying around to test the onboard storage functionality, but TinyCam Pro has the ability to upload to a cloud based service so I linked it to my Google Drive account and discovered it will upload still images based on the motion function of the TinyCam app.  I haven't figured out the audio yet, but it's only a matter of time

WOW!!

A couple of questions.  Does this allow control of camera settings beyond the V2 or V1 hubs?  My guess from reading this is yes but for us non geeks, it would help to know.  If I read correctly, you now have sound??  Very interesting that the camera is capable of ALOT more than the V1 or V2 hubs allow.  Is there control of color v B&W.  I recall we had that capability in the V1 hub but it is not yet migrated to V2?

Finally, is this going to be part of the "work in progress" of the cameras that some on this board were talking about??  {speculation encouraged}.

Thanks for sharing! 

By color vs. B&W, I think you mean the IR "night vision" Yes, there are at least three settings for the IR functionality. I won't get to play with those until dark tonight! Working on audio now...

WOW!!

Thanks for sharing! 

Yes.  This allows you to control all of the features of the cameras outside of the Iris hub.  In fact at this time the cameras will need to remain unpaired from the hub to use the API.  The hope here is that at some point we will either be able to enable most of these features with the hub or have access to the API while the cameras are paired to the hub.  The only real reason that I can see for having a camera paired to the hub is to record during an alarm but not at the cost of loosing all of these other features.  So my cameras will remain unpaired with the hub until we at least have local viewing enabled in Iris.  In the meantime I am able to play with and learn the API.

Yes.  This allows you to control all of the features of the cameras outside of the Iris hub.  In fact at this time the cameras will need to remain unpaired from the hub to use the API.  The hope here is that at some point we will either be able to enable most of these features with the hub or have access to the API while the cameras are paired to the hub.  The only real reason that I can see for having a camera paired to the hub is to record during an alarm but not at the cost of loosing all of these other features.  So my cameras will remain unpaired with the hub until we at least have local viewing enabled in Iris.  In the meantime I am able to play with and learn the API.

Thanks again for the find - you absolutely made my day!

For anyone wanting to play with the API, it is pretty harmless.  You can just reset the camera with a 15 second reset on the back of the camera and start over.  Follow the link to all of the API commands and you can change any "get" command to "set" and add an "&" and the feature that you want to change at the end.  Once you get the hang of it it is really easy.  Note this in the examples below.

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/get_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS   < This gets current settings for all features within the WIRELESS group

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=WIRELESS&wlan_domain=12  < This applies a specific setting to one of the WIRELESS group features

So I am thinking that maybe my camera is bad. I have had it working for months using Blue Iris....A few weeks ago the camera dropped off completely. I am able to scan it and find it on my network, I can ping it and am able to scan for services (it shows HTTP, HTTPS and RTSP) but I am unable to view or so any of the steps above. When I type in the web addresses listed, I get the username/password prompt but the ones provided here do not work.

I factory reset the camera by disconnecting from power/Ethernet, plugging back in and holding the reset button for 30 seconds but still no luck. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

I factory reset the camera by disconnecting from power/Ethernet, plugging back in and holding the reset button for 30 seconds but still no luck. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Plug it in and let it fully boot.  Press the reset button on the back of the camera for 15 seconds and try again after it reboots.

Plug it in and let it fully boot.  Press the reset button on the back of the camera for 15 seconds and try again after it reboots.

For whatever reason the first few times did not take. I finally brought it inside and directly connected it and reset it and worked like a charm! This has now gone from my worst camera to my best cameras in terms of view and quality!

For whatever reason the first few times did not take. I finally brought it inside and directly connected it and reset it and worked like a charm! This has now gone from my worst camera to my best cameras in terms of view and quality!

Yes, after you reset the camera it would need to be connected via ethernet, otherwise you can't talk to it because it would have lost its wifi settings.

Yep, the sound works through TinyCamPro.  Have you been able to test the onboard storage?

Which protocol are you guys using with tinycam to get sound.  I have it working with iSpy on my computer but could not get it working with ipcam viewer on my android, so I bought tinycam pro.  Still can't make it work.

Which protocol are you guys using with tinycam to get sound.  I have it working with iSpy on my computer but could not get it working with ipcam viewer on my android, so I bought tinycam pro.  Still can't make it work.

I couldn't get iSpy sound - how did you do that? This would be best for me. Chrome remote passes audio so no poking firewall holes.

For TinyCam on an outdoor camera, I used SerComm OC821D HTTP and everything else default. HTTP loads very slowly is a downside.

I couldn't get iSpy sound - how did you do that? This would be best for me. Chrome remote passes audio so no poking firewall holes.

For TinyCam on an outdoor camera, I used SerComm OC821D HTTP and everything else default. HTTP loads very slowly is a downside.

Thanks, In Ispy use this url:     rtsp://ipaddress/img/media.sav      in the FFMPEG (H264) tab.  With 4 Iris cameras and 12 Dlink cameras this strained my Surface Pro 2 but doesn't even phase my desktop with dual video cards with a total of 8 gigs of video ram and 64 gigs of regular ram and an Intel i7 3970X black cpu :)

post-26-0-28504800-1463343819_thumb.png

Thanks. I had to use port 554. Audio comes fine via Chrome Remote on the PC but not Android. Looks like it's not supported yet.

I took iSpy off the Surface long ago. My DVR box doesn't come close to yours!!

after you setup wireless on the camera can you access the camera via another network connection or does it still have to remain local? i 

Yes it remains local.  I view the cameras from outside of my network by logging in via OpenVPN.  That way they remain secure.  You always have the option of port forwarding if you do not care if they can be seen by others.