How to Take Total Control of your Iris Cameras with the API
12 12

121 posts in this topic

Otto,

Got everything to work on my wired system.  enabled wifi and changed passwords.  I am using the ios app IP Camera Viewer and have found the Sercomm but I am struggling with settings.  What should I be using for the "IP/Host" address?  Is it my gateway address?

Otto,

Got everything to work on my wired system.  enabled wifi and changed passwords.  I am using the ios app IP Camera Viewer and have found the Sercomm but I am struggling with settings.  What should I be using for the "IP/Host" address?  Is it my gateway address?

That is just the ip address of the camera.  You will be able to view it when you are on your local network.  If you want to view it while not on your network you will need to port forward to it and use a ddns service or use vpn. 

Thanks Otto,

Now I really am over my head!  I have placed the camera back on IRIS.  I have learned something and I do appreciate it.  Thought it was as getting the app and entering the camera data in the app.  Interesting thing again among all the reboots and back to IRIS is that my first snapshot with IRIS is color.  After that it reverts to IR.

This is great news. I have been using IP camera before I got Iris they cost much less. You will have to look up how to do port forwarding and dynamic dns before any of the remote apps will work. I have a domain name mapped to mine.

Thanks, In Ispy use this url:     rtsp://ipaddress/img/media.sav      in the FFMPEG (H264) tab.  With 4 Iris cameras and 12 Dlink cameras this strained my Surface Pro 2 but doesn't even phase my desktop with dual video cards with a total of 8 gigs of video ram and 64 gigs of regular ram and an Intel i7 3970X black cpu :)

I'm still struggling with this, I don't even know why I want it but I do...lol.  In iSpy does this enable sound real time, or just in a recording?  Not that either work for me, but curious.

I'm still struggling with this, I don't even know why I want it but I do...lol.  In iSpy does this enable sound real time, or just in a recording?  Not that either work for me, but curious.

Is you camera unpaired from Iris and completely reset?  With Ispy you will get streaming and sound in real time.

No, I am still V1 on the cameras, with local viewing enabled...and the V1 hub unplugged.  I can get the video using your URL on FFMPEG (and several other urls), but no sound.  Do you use the 'listen' button?

Is you camera unpaired from Iris and completely reset?  With Ispy you will get streaming and sound in real time.

That is just the ip address of the camera.  You will be able to view it when you are on your local network.  If you want to view it while not on your network you will need to port forward to it and use a ddns service or use vpn. 

On the local network, I get a screen shot at "http://mycameraslocalipaddress/img/snapshot.cgi?img=vga".However, if I go to mycameraslocalipaddress, nothing comes up. I get a 404 error. I've tried both port :80 and :554 in IP Cam Viewer Pro for iPhone with settings for Sercomm 8030. Any ideas?

Local Viewing is enabled by default after resetting the cameras and they behave as they did in v1 by allowing you to view them without a password on your network.  If you would like to secure them and only allow viewing of the camera with the admin password and log on you can toggle this by using following API call.

cameraip/adm/set_group.cgi?group=USER&login_check=1

Changing the 1 to a 0 will re-enable local viewing without a password.

-----------------------------------

Thanks to member TheBagMan for finding this.  If you need to turn off the IR light to disable night vision the settings are as follows.  This is useful if you would like a camera to look out of a window and will eliminate the reflection of the IR light in the glass.

yourcamersipaddtess/adm/set_group.cgi?group=VIDEO&dn_sch=

0=auto

1=schedule

2=force day (disables IR shutter)

3=force night

-------------------------------------

You can now view your cameras with the new settings and no delays or lags in real time by entering this url into any web browser of third party software.

http://yourcamerasipaddress/img/snapshot.cgi?img=vga

Or for higher quality viewing with most third party software packages.

rtsp://yourcamerasipaddress/img/video.sav

-------------------------------------

There is also a mic and speaker that can be enabled, so two way sound is possible on these cameras

--------------------------------------

The microsd slot can also be enabled and you can have it record on a schedule or motion with audio.  We just have to sort through the settings.

[sDCARD]

sdcard_rec_enable=0

sdcard_rec_event_enable=0

sdcard_rec_audio_enable=0

sdcard_rec_file_ctrl=1

sdcard_rec_file_size=10

sdcard_rec_disk_ctrl=0

sdcard_rec_duration=60

sdcard_rec_stream_id=1

sdcard_rec_filename_prefix=

sdcard_rec_event_prefix=

sdcard_rec_schedule=

sdcard_rec_schedule1=

sdcard_rec_schedule2=

sdcard_rec_schedule3=

sdcard_rec_schedule4=

sdcard_rec_schedule5=

sdcard_rec_schedule6=

sdcard_rec_schedule7=

sdcard_rec_schedule8=

sdcard_rec_schedule9=

sdcard_rec_schedule10=

Thank you for the sdcard stuff here. I'm not really sure what it means. Is it similar to the set and get conversation earlier?

I am trying to view the cameras through my Amcrest NVR.  I can view the cameras fine from the PC side, but the app unfortunately requires the camera to have a substream.  I was hoping I could get this to start working when I removed it from Iris...  Does anyone know if this camera can support a main stream and sub (or extra) stream?   If I can't then that pretty much seals the fate of this camera for me.   :(  

The cameras support 3 simultaneous streams.

I am trying to view the cameras through my Amcrest NVR.  I can view the cameras fine from the PC side, but the app unfortunately requires the camera to have a substream.  I was hoping I could get this to start working when I removed it from Iris...  Does anyone know if this camera can support a main stream and sub (or extra) stream?   If I can't then that pretty much seals the fate of this camera for me.   :(

The cameras support 3 simultaneous streams.

That only means that the cameras can be viewed from three different sources at the same time.  It's not quite the same thing as a main stream and a substream. :)  

I'm just now looking in to local viewing on V2, and am trying to decide which third party app to use. Many of you appear to use iSpy, but the reviews I'm reading say it is a real RAM hog. So much so that one user wondered if you could run another application at the same time unless you have a beefed up PC/laptop. What has been y'all's experience in this regard?

I'm just now looking in to local viewing on V2, and am trying to decide which third party app to use. Many of you appear to use iSpy, but the reviews I'm reading say it is a real RAM hog. So much so that one user wondered if you could run another application at the same time unless you have a beefed up PC/laptop. What has been y'all's experience in this regard?

I was using iSpy on a desktop with an i7 processor and 8 gigs of Ram and it was using less than 25% of the system resources running 6 V2 cameras.  I was also using the same computer as a media server and never had any performance issues with either program.  The biggest problem I had with iSpy was trying to dial in the motion detection.  Regardless of what I tried I could never seem to get it just right.  With the multiple variables of sensitivities the motion detection changes drastically based on circumstances of light vs dark and how much wind there was.  Anyway, after spending almost a week of trying to get this to work I gave up on iSpy and moved on.  I am now evaluating "go1984".  This program is a professional grade video surveillance software that is far superior than anything I have tried so far in terms of motion detection capabilities and the quality of the videos.  It also has a lot more functionality built into the program with things like push notifications and phone call capabilities.  However it is pricey and it does require a lot of hard drive space for storing video.

Spectacular work! I haven't had a moment of time to use on these cams. Still have a bunch sitting in the box unused, eBay tells me their value plummeted too.

Have you looked at ZoneMinder?

Since these are new in box (except one, that I unpaired from V1), and I'm not really using Iris Gen2, is there any point in hooking them up to Iris for an update or anything?

It is expensive, but it showed me what these cameras are capable of.  If you want a cheaper solution I would probably have to recommend iSpy.

No, I haven't looked at ZoneMinder because it's not supported on any of the platforms I am currently running.

Depending on the camera's firmware they may need to be updated to work with V2, but if you're going to use them with a 3rd party application then probably not.

You might want to consider looking at Docker plus a prebuilt ZoneMinder is pretty easy to setup in a few clicks https://hub.docker.com/r/aptalca/zoneminder-1.29/

Let me know if you want some setup tips. If you're in Windows 10, Docker now natively supports Hyper-V.

No, I haven't looked at ZoneMinder because it's not supported on any of the platforms I am currently running.

Depending on the camera's firmware they may need to be updated to work with V2, but if you're going to use them with a 3rd party application then probably not.

It is expensive, but it showed me what these cameras are capable of.  If you want a cheaper solution I would probably have to recommend iSpy.

In an effort to optimize my 6 V2 Iris Indoor/Outdoor cameras I have spent a great deal of time over the last few months evaluating various 3rd party camera security software applications.  The applications I evaluated included Blue Iris, iSpy, Xeoma, Go1984, ZoneMinder and others.  While each of these application have their own unique strong points (and weaknesses) in my opinion for the value and functionality you cannot beat Blue Iris.  It has by far the best mobile app interface available.  The mobile app not only give you access to your cameras remotely, but also provides motion alerts, geofencing, system stats, remote digital i/o functionality and more.