How to Take Total Control of your Iris Cameras with the API
15 15

206 posts in this topic

I hvae spent the last two hours screwing with one camera.

Honestly these directions are SCREWED up!  They do not tell you exactly how to get into it, there is a leap of the unknown to get to the alertme/PW and then get going.

I got that far FIVE times!

I can set daylight, this and that, where it falis is setting the new user ID/PW.  You can se the new PW, it returns OK, bu then it fails setting the new user ID that is intended for all these cameras.  If the first one took it, why is this one and the third one causing so much of a problem, in total today I have spent the better if SIX hours on going in circles.

Five times, getting really frustrating because it can't be that hard unless sercomm camerasa are just plain trash.

1 hour ago, C2LS7driver said:

no that USER PW doesn't work, nor does the new pw that was set for the first camera, 

tried it more than 30 times, something happened after the first camera that blocks them all from access, and when I say that I cannot even access the first camera via its USER PW, yet it is working fine on BLUE IRIS

I just reset a camera and tried the user name and password and it does work.  Try entering the password manually instead of copying and pasting.  I would suggest you use the API commands to change both the user name and password to something that makes more sense to you.

26 minutes ago, C2LS7driver said:

I hvae spent the last two hours screwing with one camera.

Honestly these directions are SCREWED up!  They do not tell you exactly how to get into it, there is a leap of the unknown to get to the alertme/PW and then get going.

I got that far FIVE times!

I can set daylight, this and that, where it falis is setting the new user ID/PW.  You can se the new PW, it returns OK, bu then it fails setting the new user ID that is intended for all these cameras.  If the first one took it, why is this one and the third one causing so much of a problem, in total today I have spent the better if SIX hours on going in circles.

Five times, getting really frustrating because it can't be that hard unless sercomm camerasa are just plain trash.

It's really not that difficult.  Start to finish takes less than 5 minutes per camera.

it is the API command that changes the user name that usually fails and then its a mess, so you start over, the reset process alone is more than 5 minutes waiting for the camera to do its thing and come back to life

4 minutes ago, Vettester said:

Change the password first and then log back in using alertme as the user and your new password and then use the API to change the user name.

I assume you are using this post as a guide:

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/topic/2633-how-to-take-total-control-of-your-iris-cameras-with-the-api/?tab=comments#comment-21135

yes - that post start up half way thru, missing something..

Thi is how the post starts..."

Here is a step by step if you want to reset your cameras and use them with Blue Iris.  These settings are my suggestions after spending some time tweaking and setting up a dozen of these on my Blue Iris system.  Some of this is a repeat of the above posts but I wanted this to be a step by step to get you rolling quickly on Blue Iris or Camera software of your choice.  Although this looks lengthy it goes quickly because you just cut and past the commands into your web browser.  If you have many cameras set them up in notepad or notepad++ with your passwords and IP's and go to town cutting and pasting.

First is to reset the cameras and get your new user name and password in the cameras.  
Connect your camera via ethernet cable and reset the camera by holding the reset button down for 30 seconds.  After the camera boots, type the IP address of your camera into a web browser and then log in using the following credentials:  

Username: alertme
Password: nFQTEm*s67uxuF**a2vAth7RoJ

Starting frest - this "GUIDE" doesn't have set 1, what CGI command do you use to get the user PW window to come up???

That's the starting point.

Then why the user PW can't be access or some other hidden secrets that are doen out of the order shown...that renders this and the iris cameras - junk.

Its not working and it should be real simple

another 30 second reset - alertme and that gibberish password pasted ten times, typed manually twice - can't get in - why???

instructions are wrong somewhere it s oc830 purchased last year, worked fine before.

if 30 seconds doesn't work, what does?

on these you can hear the reset clicks,

when I could get part way through this set of instructions, there were times of timeout...you do have to wait for a response, sometimes the web times out and its the 4th one that responds with an OK from the camera.

RE RESETTING>>>in the IRIS days of lowes problematic programming, you would have to hit some of these devices with 20 pushes, ten pushes, hold it side ways while biting your tounge and holding cell phone to your ear with the lowes rep saying its all your fault, all sorts of things, paperclips, take the hub to the rooftop, to the basement, to the moon too, all sorts of problems with  zigbe z-wave pairing issues.   I stopped that by taking the devices back if they did not work right out of the box, and then the quality improved greatly.  The last year or two my system was real stable save the thermostats falling off the network, and coming back on all their own. I was just about to trash those and buy newer version when lowes sent the 'death to iris' notice.

I am concentrating on 4 cameras at my fingertips (near the computer)  that I have hooked up to a hub with ethernet cable, all but one were active in iris a month ago wired, other (the first one I did get connected) was on wifi in iris, the others were close to a hub and powersource, simpler to use that and not risk wifi signals.

These 4 cameras, 2-830, 8221, 821 are not accessible with any sort of 30 second or more holding the button (830) or holding in the paper clip (821). Orange lights double green flashing, not sure what state they should show after holding in the reset and hearing the clicks inside the cameras.

I pulled the plug and the ethernet for each of these, how should they be powered on and reset?

4 hours ago, C2LS7driver said:

I pulled the plug and the ethernet for each of these, how should they be powered on and reset?

You can go to Lowes' YouTube channel and find videos on how to reset the cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckyPuKy9flpF02Kv6916zw/search?query=camera

After resetting are you able to ping the camera's IP address?

3 hours ago, C2LS7driver said:

These 4 cameras, 2-830, 8221, 821 are not accessible with any sort of 30 second or more holding the button (830) or holding in the paper clip (821). Orange lights double green flashing, not sure what state they should show after holding in the reset and hearing the clicks inside the cameras.

Are you sure that you have the correct IP address for the camera that you are trying to work with?  To perform the reset you plug the camera in and let it fully boot.  The hold the reset button in 30 seconds and let it reboot again.  Make sure that you have identified the correct IP address for the camera that you are working with.

I can and did filter the list of devices on the router to be only those on LAN, that was easy then, right? One page, six devices all SERCOMM Camaeras, and I just added names of the static IP addresses so it makes it even easier to know which one we are dealing with.

6 cameras, if they are not reset they arent going to work, right?

So if the camera is in my hand, and I plug it in, and then it shows in the router menu, and the IP address matches, 1+1=2, yes? Then I know I'm working with that camera.

How do I ping the camera?

Following the you-tube video of un plugging both LAN and ELEC and the bringing back on linel on 4 caperams, did it twice, not a one can be accessed from the UID:alertme & pw

not one, did four of them twice.

7 hours ago, C2LS7driver said:

How do I ping the camera?

Assuming you are on a PC running Windows, open up a command prompt window and type ping followed by the IP address of the camera.  The results should look like the example below.

cmd.png

2 hours ago, C2LS7driver said:

Following the you-tube video of un plugging both LAN and ELEC and the bringing back on linel on 4 caperams, did it twice, not a one can be accessed from the UID:alertme & pw

not one, did four of them twice.

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but I can assure you this user name and password does work.

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 6.39.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 6.40.35 PM.png

that is THE POINT, im not doing ANYTHING wrong!

I pinged 7 cameras on LAN, they are all as EXPECTED just fine.

The youtube variations of resetting are not what Lowes used to have us do, regardless the best one that seemed sensible was to disconnect everything, that has been done three times now.

5 hours ago, C2LS7driver said:

that is THE POINT, im not doing ANYTHING wrong!

I pinged 7 cameras on LAN, they are all as EXPECTED just fine.

The youtube variations of resetting are not what Lowes used to have us do, regardless the best one that seemed sensible was to disconnect everything, that has been done three times now.

Hi, 

We all really want to help you here. You may be out of patience at this point, but would it be possible to make a video on youtube of what you are doing so we can see ( just showing the camera and your screen)? Perhaps someone here will be able to spot something.

16 hours ago, C2LS7driver said:

Not sure what you mean by disconnect but disconnecting everything will not reset anything.  Additionally, due to the fact that numerous people including myself, have been able to reset and use their cameras using this guide with 100% success tells me that you are doing something wrong. The instructions are correct and absolutely work if you follow them correctly.

You may not be entering a command line in the browser window that generates a popup window that asks for the alertme credentials.  Try this one.

yourcamerasipaddress/adm/get_group.cgi?group=NETWORK

Look at the image in the post above from Vettester above:  http://forum.livingwithiris.com/topic/2633-how-to-take-total-control-of-your-iris-cameras-with-the-api/?do=findComment&comment=42233

See where he pasted the command and where he entered the credentials.

THe instructions are incomplete.

#1 you walk intot he instruction list, and its clear to you what to type, but looka t how many pages go by and NOW you show a link that works.

The prior version of this is bad...adm/get_group.cgi?group=NETWORK...I just did as you were typing hte prior version adn it returns 404 not found, this one does return the user/pw page

I will report shortly how far I get with this one - but the pasword user details have been mixed bag. 

#2 the wifi instructions are incomplete too, what am I to guess from that list what commands I am to use? none of them work.

I did a 15 minute video, but it wont be up until tomorrow at the earliest.