Firewall Issue? My V2 Hub does not see Iris Servers. V1 Just Fine.

34 posts in this topic

Well, we tried the idea of setting up a new router behind the existing router/modem.

Noticed the following:

The new router set up its own subnet, so all my fixed ip cameras and two brands of NVR software would have to be reconfigured, and the new router has an internet throughput of approximately 1/4 the speed of a direct connection through the router modem.  Not a satisfactory result...  so off to return.

I expect unless Lowes comes out with a way to make this work through my existing router/modem I will be forced to leave the product.

I have the same modem/router.  I set the modem to "passthrough mode" and use my dual band Asus router to authenticate and connect to the internet.  This is a huge upgrade in both speed and functionality.  I can set the subnet up to whatever I want it to be.

This would be the best likely solution.  "Pass through mode" sometimes called "bridge mode" would disable the modems built in router and allow your external router to handle all networking functions and disable its WiFi.  My experience has been that most all routers that are built into modems are pretty much junk, severely limited in functionality and problematic anyway.  You must insure that the modem is set up to serve as a modem only.  Personally, I would never allow a modems built in router to manage my network functions.  It sounds like currently you have both routers operational at the same time which is always a problem. 

I have the same modem/router.  I set the modem to "passthrough mode" and use my dual band Asus router to authenticate and connect to the internet.  This is a huge upgrade in both speed and functionality.  I can set the subnet up to whatever I want it to be.

Can you outline the steps to set this actiontec modem/router to "passthrough mode"?    I would like to keep my devices on the 192.168.0.1 subnet (which is being supplied currently by the actiontec as a router).

Much appreciate your reply.

on

Can you outline the steps to set this actiontec modem/router to "passthrough mode"?    I would like to keep my devices on the 192.168.0.1 subnet (which is being supplied currently by the actiontec as a router).

Much appreciate your reply.

The username and password for my router was on the Verizon label.  You can google default passwords for the actiontec and a few options come up.  Connect a laptop up directly with an ethernet cable to the modem and go to the web interface 192.168.1.1 and on the quick-setup page there is a link to passthrough mode.  This will disable the DHCP server and the WI-FI.  Now connect it to your new routers WWW port or whatever your manufacturer specifies to connect to the modem.   The settings to connect to the internet depend on your service provider and the router.  Many providers have instructions to use your own router.

Ah yeah it may have been Bridge mode, I might be getting my modems mixed up.  Anyway pick Bridge mode or Passthrough mode, whichever you see.

This would be the best likely solution.  "Pass through mode" sometimes called "bridge mode" would disable the modems built in router and allow your external router to handle all networking functions and disable its WiFi.  My experience has been that most all routers that are built into modems are pretty much junk, severely limited in functionality and problematic anyway.  You must insure that the modem is set up to serve as a modem only.  Personally, I would never allow a modems built in router to manage my network functions.  It sounds like currently you have both routers operational at the same time which is always a problem. 

on

The username and password for my router was on the Verizon label.  You can google default passwords for the actiontec and a few options come up.  Connect a laptop up directly with an ethernet cable to the modem and go to the web interface 192.168.1.1 and on the quick-setup page there is a link to passthrough mode.  This will disable the DHCP server and the WI-FI.  Now connect it to your new routers WWW port or whatever your manufacturer specifies to connect to the modem.   The settings to connect to the internet depend on your service provider and the router.  Many providers have instructions to use your own router.

The user name and password are no issue, I have set them myself.  However, the quick setup page shows no link to passthrough mode.  Could you be a bit more explicit on where this link is, and what it looks like?  My carrier was Quest, now Century Link.

The user name and password are no issue, I have set them myself.  However, the quick setup page shows no link to passthrough mode.  Could you be a bit more explicit on where this link is, and what it looks like?  My carrier was Quest, now Century Link.

How about Bridge Mode?  It's on the left side of the screen.  My firmware is branded Verizon, so there may be some difference, but all modems I have seen have this mode.

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-pk5000-adv-bridging.html

Here is a link to instructions provided by centurylink.

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-pk5000-adv-bridging.html

Here is a link to instructions provided by centurylink.

Yes, I see that.  I managed to find a youtube video essentially saying the same thing yesterday, but I appreciate the link and thanks for your input...

Question:  If you do this I assume the passthru turns off the firewall in the PK5000, and that the router is providing DNS IP addresses for the network attached to the router.   If so, are you able to continue to use the cat5 ports in the PK5000?  Are they protected by the firewall in your router or are they unprotected and outside the firewall?  Will the router assign IP addresses to devices attached to those ports?

Does the DMZ still work on the PK5000 or is that disabled?  I ask because my IP telephony device is hosted there.

Also, do you need the Century Link or Verison password to the DSL link from the modem to the phone carrier?  I know that is originally necessary for the modem, but what passes for tech support at Century Link thinks I will need it for the new router.

Thanks again for your imput... this is less than familiar territory for me.

When you put the modem in Bridge mode it acts as a dumb modem only and all firewall and networking functions are handled by the external router which is what you want.  I would not use the ethernet ports on the modem and I doubt that they would even work.  At that point you should only need passwords that you set up on your external router.