Ok, I'm being forced to UPGRADE, will my family be more safe or less safe?
4 4

65 posts in this topic

I am going to switch out my version 1 IRIS system for version 2 I guess since I'm left no choice. While I'm not looking forward to spending time doing something I've already done, I'm looking forward to the new and improved features it provides.

Questions.

1.  If my internet is down (I have comcast, so yeah, that's about every night between 2AM and 4AM and at least 3 times a month randomly) will my water leak detectors in my house close my water valve? 

2.  If my internet is down will I be alerted via my siren/alarm that someone has opened my shed door  and is currently rummaging through it?

3.  If my internet is down and my CO detector goes off downstairs, will my siren that I have in my bedroom work to alert me that something is amiss?

4.  If my internet is down and I'm outside working in my yard and my family  presses the panic button inside the house, will I see the flashing siren that I have in my shed and on my porch? or if they press the panic button at night when I'm away, will it?

5. If we are all asleep, and my internet is down and someone opens my front door will my alarm sound?

Basically my question is, does IRIS version 2.0 give my family a false sense of security in relation to how version 1.0 worked?

Just curious, before I go to the trouble of making the migration.

I think the answer to all 5 questions is no.

Thanks,

I was told no many weeks ago. Thought they would fix this issue before forcing everyone to the new version. I hope they make it WELL KNOWN that this BEHAVIOR has changed so that people who used version 1 know. Also, I hope they make it obvious this is the case even for new customers. Otherwise people will assume that it does, because it only makes sense.

I will ask their twitter account @IrisByLowes

What allows things to function (rules, scenes, alarm functions) as configured is "local processing", which the v2 hub Is supposed to be able to do but was stupidly programmed to process everything exclusively in the cloud- so no internettie, nothing workie, You'll see the "local processing" buzz word all over the place here because it's one of, if not THE biggest complaints most of us have. It's a clear security issue that is unbelievable they wrote in and haven't addressed yet.. but trust me they know about it.

The answer is "no" on all counts.   v2 really is a useless toy when it comes to security.  Dropping cellular coverage before addressing this issue reflects a brazen lack of regard for the safety and security of those of us who trusted them to be responsible in managing this system.

Iris has turned into crap, no internet, no alarm, this k they would fix in a hurry? Not! Why? Because unless someone tells me different and it's the truth. Ver2 hub doesn't have that capability. They would have to release a V3 hub that has that capability in order to fix their crappy system. And because someone has their head so far up, it's not gonna happen. At least not until someone's house is broken into and the system fails or someone is killed because of a break not being recognized by the system and lowes is sued big time. I am really surprised no one states attorney general has done something yet.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

@anIris4anIris The Next Gen Iris is dependent on internet service. But local processing is being considered for a future release.

Did you ask if the current hub would support local processing with software update? I'd be curious if a firmware update can add this, or if we'll all be forced to play beta testers again for V3. 

Oh who am I kidding, we're beta testers for every firmware release, not just hardware releases.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the terms of service you agree to when signing up for Iris is that Lowes cannot be held accountable for any losses whether by direct result of Iris failing to perform or not.  Basically it says there are not any guarantees expressed or implied.  

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the terms of service you agree to when signing up for Iris is that Lowes cannot be held accountable for any losses whether by direct result of Iris failing to perform or not.  Basically it says there are not any guarantees expressed or implied.  

It does, even says your insurance company etc, can't hold them liable. It also has a binding arbitration clause that says you'll pay half the fees.

@anIris4anIris The Next Gen Iris is dependent on internet service. But local processing is being considered for a future release.

So I had to call tech support today, as a I my garage door controller apparently dropped off Monday night, and I never noticed, and this device doesn't warrant any sort of notice. So I call as I couldn't get it to reset. Now this is tech support, so take it with a grain of salt, but we discussed local processing, and he said...

What's all below is likely to be just rumours, but it did come from a Iris tech support:

They are working on cellular backup so the modem would never go offline so they would not be necessary. They are also working on active monitoring so authorities could be dispatched as an option.

I told him this pushes them to be more expensive, or the same price as already known established competitors which I listed. This also leads me to believe either Lowe's really doesn't understand what their customers want from this system, understand their customers at all, their place in the market, or this system just isn't financially viable.

Lowes, if you think Cellular backup with an additional monthly fee is the solution to local processing to the problem you created here,  you are not listening.

or this system just isn't financially viable.

I fear this may be the case. I don't think they are covering costs between hardware revenue and monthly Premium service... Lack of local processing would, theoretically, force users into a monitoring contract. I surmise that's why Scout made monitoring mandatory. They need the revenue stream.

I just wish they would give us a straight answer.  "Yes, we will incorporate local processing, it may happen in x months."  or "No, we are not going to go for local processing, this is why..."  This way I will know if I should be stripping down the several thousand dollars of equipment I have over two locations and returning it for store credit...  Maybe I'll get a lawn mower...  Or a new shed (which I'll just make my own dang automation system with a raspberry pi and arduino to put in it...)  ^_^

I fear this may be the case. I don't think they are covering costs between hardware revenue and monthly Premium service... Lack of local processing would, theoretically, force users into a monitoring contract. I surmise that's why Scout made monitoring mandatory. They need the revenue stream.

I'm of the opinion though their bad decisions have increased their costs considerably. All their increased development and support costs where a direct result of all their recent poor choices. If we actually had parity with V1, and LOCAL PROCESSING, I'd even paying a bit more than $10 a month, don't go nuts Lowes, but you must get local processing to work. online only is NOT acceptable, and it must do everything V1 did.

I just wish they would give us a straight answer.  "Yes, we will incorporate local processing, it may happen in x months."  or "No, we are not going to go for local processing, this is why..."  This way I will know if I should be stripping down the several thousand dollars of equipment I have over two locations and returning it for store credit...  Maybe I'll get a lawn mower...  Or a new shed (which I'll just make my own dang automation system with a raspberry pi and arduino to put in it...)  ^_^

The problem is, I doubt all the stores would really take back all this stuff. Some people would get lucky, but I bet many of us would just be stuck with it.

I will keep asking until I get a clear straightforward answer. It's been long enough...we will either have it or we won't. Yes or No. 

IrisByLowes, on 18 Feb 2016 - 4:53 PM, said:snapback.png

While Verizon Modem Support (for backup cellular service) will be completed by end of March, we know that offline processing is an important feature to prioritize in achieving First Gen parity. We will release more info on this as it becomes available.

This is the best we got.  There has been no more info released, however.   Also the end of March thing didn't work out either.

@anIris4anIris Local processing is a feature we are planning to deliver in an upcoming release. Watch (link: https://www.irisbylowes.com/blog irisbylowes.com/blog for news.

Went from being considered to planned but still no timeframe.

I couldn't find anything on that link, but at least it looks like our complaints / concerns have been heard. That makes me feel a whole lot better about the entire system.

Awesome.  When will they get it that this is more important than a FEATURE?!  This is a major SECURITY ISSUE with something that is marketed partially as a SECURITY SYSTEM.  It needs to be top priority.  Stop work, fix this priority.

I just moved all of my v1 security devices to v2 and low and behold, my internet went out for several minutes for the first time in a long time that very night.  Good thing I was awake and aware of it, but it happened at sunset when all my lights were supposed to come on. 

Awesome.  When will they get it that this is more important than a FEATURE?!  This is a major SECURITY ISSUE with something that is marketed partially as a SECURITY SYSTEM.  It needs to be top priority.  Stop work, fix this priority.

I just moved all of my v1 security devices to v2 and low and behold, my internet went out for several minutes for the first time in a long time that very night.  Good thing I was awake and aware of it, but it happened at sunset when all my lights were supposed to come on. 

When my hub goes offline, I don't get a notification.  Even worse, there's zero evidence in the history that it ever went offline.  There's just a period of time with NO events.  

Imagine using Iris to monitor a cabinet or safe.  All someone has to do is unplug the Iris network cable, take whatever you want out of the "monitored" cabinet or safe, close it back up and plug the cable back in.  There will be zero evidence that anything happened.  What a joke.