Ok, I'm being forced to UPGRADE, will my family be more safe or less safe?
4 4

65 posts in this topic

My question is how did they not catch this when developing 2? Did they not go through the abilities of 1 since they were going to claim parity? And yet...no sense of urgency.

This happens all the time across all industries. The developers did know. The people testing did know. The people in charge did not care. The managers did not care. The "higher ups" are detached from the real world and do not want to listen to the "people in the trenches". They just wanted to meet dead lines and "sales goals". Get the new products out, doesn't matter if they are ready or not. Most companies think short term these days. They want to see immediate results, because investors, and stock holders just care about now. 

Except now how are they going to fix the damage they've done to their reputation. Such as the reviews to the app in the android market place? Even once they've got it fixed, they only way I see out of the negative reviews is to ditch that app entirely and create an entirely new one and hope everyone is happy by that point.

Lowes has turned a nice system into crap with V2.

Time for me to speak with a local manager about recouping my losses invested in V1 and all the things lost migrating to V2.

So here we are almost a month later and nothing from the mothership even acknowledging the outage of May 30, 2016.  

We're all  staring down the barrel of having our fully functioning Version 1 systems shut off by Lowe's or accepting their inferior, defective, and insecure "smart phone" management interface that we all know doesn't work and will likely render our homes and property vulnerable.  To make matters worse the money we all  spent buying these systems thinking we were investing in the security and future of our homes on Lowe's commitment to help us protect the things that were valuable to us all; now find that we're really left with only one recourse . . .litigation.  

Personally, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!

Has anyone here reached out to council for guidance in how to recover your losses from Lowe's yet besides me?

If there is a class action would you join it to recover your losses?

So here we are almost a month later and nothing from the mothership even acknowledging the outage of May 30, 2016.  

We're all  staring down the barrel of having our fully functioning Version 1 systems shut off by Lowe's or accepting their inferior, defective, and insecure "smart phone" management interface that we all know doesn't work and will likely render our homes and property vulnerable.  To make matters worse the money we all  spent buying these systems thinking we were investing in the security and future of our homes on Lowe's commitment to help us protect the things that were valuable to us all; now find that we're really left with only one recourse . . .litigation.  

Has anyone here reached out to council for guidance in how to recover your losses from Lowe's yet besides me?

I understand why you are mad and I don't blame you, but It might be hard to initiate a lawsuit when they will take back all the V1 stuff and give you your money back.  You should try that first at least.

[edit] This was the first post I looked at this morning and I didn't realize this guy had spammed this over and over, so sorry for feeding the troll.  As I said I understand you being mad, but this forum is not run by Lowes and if you want to make a statement go to their website or face book page and spam them.  This just shows your an idiot.

I would like to return my V1 system for a refund. I PM's the IrisByLowes account, waiting to here back. My local store management is not the friendly-cheery type and "Dustin", the assistant manager, "who really runs the store", gave me major issues in just swapping a camera, with my receipt so...

I have recently moved 80% of my business dealings to a different big box retailer, it a little longer drive but the people are much more helpful, knowledgeable, and big bonus here -- they have my name right in their system. I only had to give them it once!  

I would like to return my V1 system for a refund. I PM's the IrisByLowes account, waiting to here back. My local store management is not the friendly-cheery type and "Dustin", the assistant manager, "who really runs the store", gave me major issues in just swapping a camera, with my receipt so...

I have recently moved 80% of my business dealings to a different big box retailer, it a little longer drive but the people are much more helpful, knowledgeable, and big bonus here -- they have my name right in their system. I only had to give them it once!

Lowes computer system has some issues.  Somehow they got my account and my mom and Dad's accounts swapped and when my mom was having some tile done they kept calling me to confirm appointments.  It took about 4 times before they finally got it straighten out.

There is a corporate memo and out for V1 returns and they will take it back. They may argue and try to weasel out of it but they will cave in if you tell them the RMA number, there is a thread about it in here somewhere.

Where is John Stossel when we need him.

[edit] This was the first post I looked at this morning and I didn't realize this guy had spammed this over and over, so sorry for feeding the troll.  As I said I understand you being mad, but this forum is not run by Lowes and if you want to make a statement go to their website or face book page and spam them.  This just shows your an idiot.

All of his spam messages have been deleted and he has been warned.

I posted information earlier about litigation, but it was taken down because the admins/mods frown on people discussing this topic. censorship sad but true.

Discussing litigation and class action lawsuits does not have any place in a forum created for the purpose of improving a product. That kind of talk causes the exact opposite effect. If you want to discuss that subject matter, I am sure you could create your own forum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want to improve the product as passionately as the rest of the members here, but i also do not like being used as a alpha tester, having to pay for that privilege, and then having a bunch of unprofessional people who have no clue about technology or how to run a I.T. Corporation tell me , i don't know what i am talking about. "You can not fix stupid" should be the slogan of IRIS as that is exactly the behavior of the IRIS management team.

So NO i am not going to leave and start my own forum. .. anyways back on topic....

there are a lot of concerns right now with the lack of local processing on the v2 hub, and how that affects our homes, businesses, and our families.  Lowes could be a lot more proactive in providing actual updates and keeping ontime to their project plans. currently they just release features and upgrades without any announcement about their roadmap, and this often leaves us praying for a miracle every month for updates. Communication would go a long way  in keeping all their users, happy(er). some people will be annoyed when they announce feature X Y Z is 6 months away, but atleast that gives them some hope.

there are a lot of concerns right now with the lack of local processing on the v2 hub, and how that affects our homes, businesses, and our families.  Lowes could be a lot more proactive in providing actual updates and keeping ontime to their project plans. 

As far as I know, they haven't even confirmed that local processing will ever be a feature in V2.  I could be wrong about that, but it's certainly not on this list: https://www.irisbylowes.com/blog/inside-iris/iris-look-ahead/  Scunnyngham believes it will be out in the next 90 days, but I'd be willing to wager a good amount that it won't be.  

As far as I know, they haven't even confirmed that local processing will ever be a feature in V2. I could be wrong about that, but it's certainly not on this list: https://www.irisbylowes.com/blog/inside-iris/iris-look-ahead/ Scunnyngham believes it will be out in the next 90 days, but I'd be willing to wager a good amount that it won't be.

It is on the list on that blog entry, item number 6 (Rules, services and schedules running on the Hub).

Will it be done in 90 days? Hopefully, but anyone who has ever been involved in software development knows how easy it is for things to take longer than expected. It should have been a priority to have rules and alarms work offline from day one. Lowe's messed up on this one and they need to make it right.

V2 was definitely rushed, but part of me wonders if they had a choice. We all know that AlertMe was acquired, and it certainly seems that Britiah Gas have taken it in a different direction.

It is on the list on that blog entry, item number 6 (Rules, services and schedules running on the Hub).

Will it be done in 90 days? Hopefully, but anyone who has ever been involved in software development knows how easy it is for things to take longer than expected. It should have been a priority to have rules and alarms work offline from day one. Lowe's messed up on this one and they need to make it right.

V2 was definitely rushed, but part of me wonders if they had a choice. We all know that AlertMe was acquired, and it certainly seems that Britiah Gas have taken it in a different direction.

I stand corrected.   (Cunningham's law works!)

Hey, if I get some sort of indication that they will address this, I will take that. The issue I've had is that it is so important, it should be sooner rather than later for my sake and also for Lowes. For example, I have stopped buying additional products because I don't know the direction they are going on this (though now, I apparently do). I will try to be more positive on this issue but only for a short time :)

Hey, if I get some sort of indication that they will address this, I will take that. The issue I've had is that it is so important, it should be sooner rather than later for my sake and also for Lowes. For example, I have stopped buying additional products because I don't know the direction they are going on this (though now, I apparently do). I will try to be more positive on this issue but only for a short time :)

Me too.  I already can't afford to replace what I've bought so no new Iris branded items for me.  I am apparently in that growing pains phase with v2 after moving over all of my security items.  Everything seemed to go haywire after that and every night I have a new issue to work through.  Once I'm done doing all of that I'll be too invested with both cash and sweat equity to try to cash out.  Lowes caught this fish and I can't get loose without bleeding to death.  So I guess if I never get local processing I'll just sit and play with my playschool alarm system and hope I never need it.

Here is that blog entry for those who can't find it. I have bolded some text which I think is of interest

because they state that Lowes is pursuing those areas which they say are most important to us. So,

if that is true we need to use the link at the end of the blog entry to document what is important to us

so it will be elevated to the proper level of attention because most of what I see on that list is trivial

or non-essential to regaining parity with the feature set of the V1 system. Filter reminders? I can live

without that. Enable chime feature for sensors is something that should have been in there from the

beginning. Touch ID access, why introduce a new potentially buggy feature when you haven't worked

out the problems with what you have now? Temperature and power usage history and the ability to

download the data as a CSV file is again something that should have been there from day one.

What's new screen? Really, you think that is something that is near the top of everyones list?

-start of blog entry-
Iris Blog
https://www.irisbylowes.com/blog/inside-iris/iris-look-ahead/
Posted March 22, 2016

There has been quite a bit of buzz around the launch of the Next Generation of Iris and we are glad to hear from all of you. Your comments are being heard across our team and they are having an impact on everything we work on each day. Your feedback has inspired us to renew our commitment to quality and parity and influenced the way are addressing bug fixes and feature releases. We understand that Iris is a way to connect you with your home and that is important. So, we are dedicated to ensuring the best possible experience with the Next Generation of Iris by bringing regular updates and releasing new features and functionality on a regular and frequent cadence.

We realize that the Next Generation platform is different from the First Generation system so we have spent time over the past few months to adjust your support experience accordingly. There are now more places to find the help you need – whenever you might need it. Here are some of the new ways you can find support for your Next Generation system:

•The Iris by Lowe’s support page: support.irisbylowes.com
•YouTube device pairing and reset videos: youtube.com/irisbylowes
•Tutorials within the Iris App
•We’re adding new resources to the Iris Support Team in an effort to minimize call wait time.

We also understand that there are features that you would like to have access to within Iris and we want you to know we are working to make them available to you. Our main focus is on the features you’ve let us know are most important to you. We are dedicated to bringing you these and more with the Next Generation of Iris. Here are the things we’re committing to deliver:

1.Access to download camera recordings
2.Ability to manage quota for recorded video
3.Configuring chime for the keypad/contact sensor
4.Schedule based on local sunrise and sunset
5.Groups for lights and switches
6.Rules, services and schedules running on the Hub
7.Invite another person to manage your Iris account
8.Ability to manage multiple places
9.More windows and blinds capability
10.Separate on/partial alarm device trigger settings (number of device it takes to trigger)
11.Water heater capability in scenes
12.Allow Linear Garage Door Controller to act in Security
13.Update the Thermostat UI to show that we are in temporary hold
14.Touch ID access
15.PIN code scheduling in Doors & Locks
16.Filter reminders
17.HVAC runtime
18.Add water softener notifications on water flow
19.Outdoor weather updates
20.“What’s New” screen
21.Indoor / Outdoor temperature history
22.Ability to download History
23.Energy service card

If you haven’t yet experienced the Next Generation of Iris because you have not yet received your free hub, we understand the wait has been longer than anyone would have liked. We are now shipping regularly and are on pace to have all previously registered users their free hub by the end of March. If you haven’t yet signed up for your hub then please do so here. We are working to ensure ALL registered users receive their new, free hub by the end of April.

The whole Iris Team wants to thank you for your continued feedback about the Next Generation of Iris – we are listening and focused on applying your comments as we move forward.

Please continue to share your thoughts with us here.
http://sm.lowes.com/bmzNF

-end of blog entry-

Here is that blog entry for those who can't find it. I have bolded some text which I think is of interest

because they state that Lowes is pursuing those areas which they say are most important to us. So,

if that is true we need to use the link at the end of the blog entry to document what is important to us

so it will be elevated to the proper level of attention because most of what I see on that list is trivial

or non-essential to regaining parity with the feature set of the V1 system. Filter reminders? I can live

without that. Enable chime feature for sensors is something that should have been in there from the

beginning. Touch ID access, why introduce a new potentially buggy feature when you haven't worked

out the problems with what you have now? Temperature and power usage history and the ability to

download the data as a CSV file is again something that should have been there from day one.

What's new screen? Really, you think that is something that is near the top of everyones list?

-start of blog entry-

Iris Blog

https://www.irisbylowes.com/blog/inside-iris/iris-look-ahead/

Posted March 22, 2016

There has been quite a bit of buzz around the launch of the Next Generation of Iris and we are glad to hear from all of you. Your comments are being heard across our team and they are having an impact on everything we work on each day. Your feedback has inspired us to renew our commitment to quality and parity and influenced the way are addressing bug fixes and feature releases. We understand that Iris is a way to connect you with your home and that is important. So, we are dedicated to ensuring the best possible experience with the Next Generation of Iris by bringing regular updates and releasing new features and functionality on a regular and frequent cadence.

We realize that the Next Generation platform is different from the First Generation system so we have spent time over the past few months to adjust your support experience accordingly. There are now more places to find the help you need – whenever you might need it. Here are some of the new ways you can find support for your Next Generation system:

•The Iris by Lowe’s support page: support.irisbylowes.com

•YouTube device pairing and reset videos: youtube.com/irisbylowes

•Tutorials within the Iris App

•We’re adding new resources to the Iris Support Team in an effort to minimize call wait time.

We also understand that there are features that you would like to have access to within Iris and we want you to know we are working to make them available to you. Our main focus is on the features you’ve let us know are most important to you. We are dedicated to bringing you these and more with the Next Generation of Iris. Here are the things we’re committing to deliver:

1.Access to download camera recordings

2.Ability to manage quota for recorded video

3.Configuring chime for the keypad/contact sensor

4.Schedule based on local sunrise and sunset

5.Groups for lights and switches

6.Rules, services and schedules running on the Hub

7.Invite another person to manage your Iris account

8.Ability to manage multiple places

9.More windows and blinds capability

10.Separate on/partial alarm device trigger settings (number of device it takes to trigger)

11.Water heater capability in scenes

12.Allow Linear Garage Door Controller to act in Security

13.Update the Thermostat UI to show that we are in temporary hold

14.Touch ID access

15.PIN code scheduling in Doors & Locks

16.Filter reminders

17.HVAC runtime

18.Add water softener notifications on water flow

19.Outdoor weather updates

20.“What’s New” screen

21.Indoor / Outdoor temperature history

22.Ability to download History

23.Energy service card

If you haven’t yet experienced the Next Generation of Iris because you have not yet received your free hub, we understand the wait has been longer than anyone would have liked. We are now shipping regularly and are on pace to have all previously registered users their free hub by the end of March. If you haven’t yet signed up for your hub then please do so here. We are working to ensure ALL registered users receive their new, free hub by the end of April.

The whole Iris Team wants to thank you for your continued feedback about the Next Generation of Iris – we are listening and focused on applying your comments as we move forward.

Please continue to share your thoughts with us here.

http://sm.lowes.com/bmzNF

-end of blog entry-

Chimes on sensors is active now and local processing is the number one priority and is the highest priority item on the roadmap.  Their goal is professional monitoring sooner than later and local processing and cellular backup has to be in place.  Speaking of cellular backup expect an update on this in the very near future, maybe as soon as August.

But professional monitoring is NOT my goal and never was when I bought into the system with V1 years ago.

It was precisely because I could do all that I could with V1 WITHOUT having to subscribe to professional monitoring

that I chose Iris. I do not want nor will I ever want to subscribe to a monitoring service, others may want that I understand and agree that is has its place but my system is more about home automation that supporting some external monitoring service with my subscription. If what Lowes wants to do is transition Iris into a subscription-based service instead of a stand-alone system under my complete control then Iris is no longer what I need and NOT what I signed up for.

I think this is one of the reasons updates and new features take so long.  Filter reminders? Yes, please.  Temperature and power usage history and downloading the data?  Maybe down the road.  I don't really care for that information, at least not right now.  What's new screen?  Many people have asked Lowes to list what was in an update, as well as what is coming.

Point being: There are many people with different needs and use cases.  I have some experience with several home automation/security systems, and Lowes V2 is the best.  They have taken many changes that they originally thought weren't needed or wanted, and corrected those based on user feedback.  Most of the items on that list have been asked for by more than one person.  Just because they don't fit your needs, or mine, doesn't mean that many people don't want them or have a need for them.