Ok, I'm being forced to UPGRADE, will my family be more safe or less safe?
4 4

65 posts in this topic

I am not very fond of going to professional monitoring either. When the cellular backup is available will there be a way to have it without professional monitoring? I dont see it talked about anywhere only cellular backup with professional monitoring. I cant remember exactly i just pay the bill but it seems it was about 16 bucks a month to pay for permium and the cell backup on v1. So 20 bucks for all of it including professional monitoring is not to bad. Most of us have had a professional monitoring service before or we know someone that has. The only reason i worry about having professional is the false alarms and the added charge.

I don't understand all the concern about cellular backup.  Any decent router has a slot for a USB cellular backup.  Why not use that?  Then you have a backup for more than just IRIS.

I am not very fond of going to professional monitoring either. When the cellular backup is available will there be a way to have it without professional monitoring? I dont see it talked about anywhere only cellular backup with professional monitoring. I cant remember exactly i just pay the bill but it seems it was about 16 bucks a month to pay for permium and the cell backup on v1. So 20 bucks for all of it including professional monitoring is not to bad. Most of us have had a professional monitoring service before or we know someone that has. The only reason i worry about having professional is the false alarms and the added charge.

Some of us have combination modem/routers we have to use because of our ISP requirements. Those units a dinasours, but we're tied to using them at least for the modem function.

My ISP provides a combo unit.  I set it to pass through/bypass mode and use my own router.  

I don't understand all the concern about cellular backup.  Any decent router has a slot for a USB cellular backup.  Why not use that?  Then you have a backup for more than just IRIS.

I have always wonder this myself, a backup of the entire internet service would seem better than just making sure Iris stayed on line.  I guess cost could be a factor though, as cellular cost is bandwidth dependent.  So perhaps limiting to just the Iris data would be less expensive than allowing everything to go through a cellular network.

It's on their blog that they intend to offer monitoring, and that the current $9.99 premium service and the $5.00 cellular backup will be included in the $19.99 active monitoring fee.

That's all well and good but I didn't get into the Iris system for home security, I was more interested in home automation aspect and the security was for me just an extra. I use door switches and motion sensors to do more than trip an alarm. I want to operate lights and fans and control HVAC equipment and do many other things that are beyond the capabilities of a traditional alarm system. So I have no need for any subscription service and taking all the capabilities that were part of the V1 system and moving them to a subscription service for $9.99/month is not attractive to me at all.

My home is already wired with a complete alarm and fire detection system as well as video coverage of all the grounds, both systems function just fine and both are accessible by an app on my phone or anywhere on the local network from any computer. So I have no need to duplicate or replace all that with something as buggy as Iris and why would I want to trust my home security to a hardware store.

I guess what I really need to do is admit I've lost whatever was good for me with the move from V1 to V2 and look for another system that can use a majority of the devices I have now in my Iris system.

"It's not going to be forced on you and you can continue as you have with the added benefit of free care service."

That may be true but as I understand it many of the features that were free on V1 will no longer be included in the basic or free service so I do lose something. So if I want to retain all the functionality I had with V1 I need to fork over some dollars every month.

My ISP provides a combo unit.  I set it to pass through/bypass mode and use my own router.  

Same here.  At least I was, until I just bought my own cable modem and told them to eat a D*#$ with their stupid monthly charge plus an additional charge to set it to pass through.

Eff you right in the A, Mediacom.  Seriously, $8 rental plus $5 for access control to the router functions.  $13/month when I bought a very nice modem only for less than $90.

So i am going to raise this post from the dead.

This is where all the pricing was mentioned with the cell back up and professional monitoring.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Elivingwithiris%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F3179-Cellular-backup-must-be-right-around-the-corner&share_tid=3179&share_fid=151970&share_type=t

Cellular backup must be right around the corner

This one has info on it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk