Water Softener on V2
2 2

29 posts in this topic

It isn't reporting salt level or GPM.  Is this working for anyone else?

Especially as frugal as this softener is with salt, I really need it to let me know when salt is running low.  I forget that it exists half the time.

I guess if it's working for others, I'll need to call in for support.

God I want one of these, I always forget to get salt

It's even worse with this one.  It barely uses any salt.  Without a warning, I'd forget I have a softener.

I filled it with 160 lbs on the first weekend of October, and I'm still not out.  The hardness level is set to 18.  My old softener went though 80 lbs a month.  At $5 for a 40 lb bag, I'm saving almost $100/year on salt.

It isn't reporting salt level or GPM.  Is this working for anyone else?

Especially as frugal as this softener is with salt, I really need it to let me know when salt is running low.  I forget that it exists half the time.

I guess if it's working for others, I'll need to call in for support.

I have the same problem just today after pairing the softener. I just composed an email to the support to see if there was something I missed.

Considering replacing our water softener with the Whirlpool Iris compatible model but when

I read the reviews on Lowes.com it worries me that this will not work with the V2 hub. There

are a number of people reporting they never got it working even after hours on the phone

with Iris TS.

So what's the story? Did anyone on here have connection issues and how did they get resolved.

It sounds like everyone likes the performance of the water softener itself, just that getting it

connected to Iris and the level of reporting which is said to be less than what was available

with the V1 hub bothers me. People report not seeing the salt level and other data that seems

like it would be the whole reason for having the connection to Iris. What's the point if you can't

read the salt level or monitor operation from within the app?

Our water softener is now 30 years old and last time it was serviced they needed a part and

mentioned availability of parts is getting to be an issue for this older system.

So I have the tech coming tomorrow to service the system again and was thinking maybe its

time for a new one, and thought why not get one that connects to Iris while I'm at it.

Which brings up a second question, will this water softener work with other systems or only Iris?

Sorry but if Iris goes belly up and/or I decided to migrate to a different system next year or whenever

will this water softener work with SmartThings or one of the other system available?

Mine is working fine and is reporting salt level and water flow.  The only thing missing is a parity issue where we do not yet have rules to report different levels of water flow via notification or control the shutoff valve.  The softener is a WiFi device and is still viewable and controllable through the app if the hubs goes offline.  It also continues to follow its schedule independent of the Iris connectivity.

There were some connectivity problems during the initial days of V2 but that has long since been corrected.  If you buy one I'd strongly suggest taking the extended warranty for about 50 bucks.  Also if you use the suggested Whirlpool cleaner every 4 months for the 1st year Whirlpool doubles the factory warranty which becomes the basis for the extended warranty.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-Water-Softening-Cleanser-Formula/3918331

I believe this is the only connected softener available and is unique to the Iris platform.

Thanks for the reply Scunny.

If I use the cleaner every 4 months and the factory 2 year warranty gets doubled
to 4 years, why buy the extended warranty for $50 which only takes you out to the
end of the third year? What is gained for the $50 ?

You mentioned a control valve that can be controlled using the app. This will shut
off all water out to the house if set to the close position, or does it put the unit
in bypass.

If I wanted one for tomorrow no dice since none of the 10 Lowes stores within 35 miles
of me have one in stock. So much for impulse buying. :)

Where is the resin tank located, it looks like it is inside the salt bin.

Not adjacent like most systems I have seen.

That may make for a neater looking install but its not what I am used to

seeing.

At one point there was a water softener in my basement, but for an unknown reason it was taken out. I am on a well and septic; water is fairly hard, measured at 250 ppm (15(gpg).

I would like to add a water softener again, but the choices and info at local stores such as Lowes, Menards, Sears, etc leaves something to be desired.

The house has a kitchen and three bathrooms, but at present only me living in it. Gas water heater. No dishwashers or whirlpools, though I do shower daily, sometimes more in summer.

Any comments from knowledgeable people about brands known for quality, features or other issues to look for are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Bella

After 4 months in my garage, I finally got around to installing the IRS water softener and electronic shutoff along with a  whole home water filtration system.  Worked with a plumber for 2 days to get everything setup optimally.

Finally...everything is up and running, except that the water softener isn't happy with my wifi....or even the hotspot wifi from my phone.  The light just keeps blinking saying connection failed....even though the firewall logs show that it connects, has good signal strength, and even gets an ip address assigned via dhcp.  No other errors. 

The IRIS hub itself says its an unsupported device because it's only seeing the zwave and not the wifi part of the connection.  Great.

Called up IRIS tech support...they had a good attitude but have thrown the issue to the next layer up...expecting a call back tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I can't just swap out the softener now that it has been installed, cabled up, and filled with salt/etc.

Maybe they can send a new control board or something...it looks like the electronics are limited to a simple swappable arduino type electronics.

There is no zwave on the softener. The board is easily swapped as I had to do that about a year ago.

I would factory reset it and try to pair again. I doubt the board is bad since you can see it has an ip address. Sounds like a bad pairing. 

11 hours ago, scunny said:

I would factory reset it and try to pair again. I doubt the board is bad since you can see it has an ip address. Sounds like a bad pairing.

Attempted to reset 5+ times, didn't help...even tried with other network/firewall.  Waiting to see if IRIS will approve board replacement.