My store refused to return my items - adding insult to injury
6 6

60 posts in this topic

So, I tried to return my items today... I happened to have my old v1 box. When they scanned the SKU it came up as obsolete, so they wouldn't take a thing back. When I pointed out there is a corporate memo explaining they have to return this stuff, they wouldn't believe me. Seems the return part of this fiasco is just as bad as everything else!

So, I tried to return my items today... I happened to have my old v1 box. When they scanned the SKU it came up as obsolete, so they wouldn't take a thing back. When I pointed out there is a corporate memo explaining they have to return this stuff, they wouldn't believe me. Seems the return part of this fiasco is just as bad as everything else!

I would reach out to the store manager, no one else and if you don't get your problem resolved PM IrisByLowes.

I would reach out to the store manager, no one else and if you don't get your problem resolved PM IrisByLowes.

you know, kinda like the experience you have with version 2.0. Infuriating, three times as hard as it needs to be, and when it's all over you feel like a chump for falling for the bait and switch.

Yup I had the same issues when making an exchange for another keyfob. I supplied the email the the manager supplied the attitude. I even reported the attitude and got we will forward the info ...

I don't even bother, I buy a new one and return the old one a day later

My local Lowes has several cashiers who give you the stink eye with an Iris return but the assistant manager and the manager I've talked to are much more open and accepting of Iris returns. The manager told me Iris is a big pain for them.

I've got to go back to the store tomorrow with a letter from support directions the. To accept the return.

There is one cashier who acts like I stole her mom's purse.

Beware: If they ask for your Driver's License, that means they will be reporting your return to The Retail Equation.   And that could affect your ability to make future returns.

Honestly I think your ID should never be able to be swiped. My ID, never can be read by card readers, if they want the information they will type it in. Think about all the places that swipe your ID that have access to more information than they need. The first thing you should do is accidentally get that thing a little too close to a strong magnet..... Just my opinion.

Hadn't heard of that before though, good links.

Lowe's customer service employee here...

ID information does not get shared with any company. It's only used in house to block those who have a high number of returns (typically of high theft items). Typically if you're returning 2 Dewalt drills a day with no receipt, then you will be blocked. Returning your V1 system, not going to be blocked.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Regrettably, I guess my experience was common to those of most who have posted above. I returned a range extender with receipt, and was told they couldn't return it because it "wasn't in the system." I explained about the Lowes bulletin and got no traction on that angle -- was told I would need to produce it by two different folks in CS. There is no awareness of or interest in the IRIS problems, no particular concern that I've spent a great deal of money on the products, and no interest from the manager when he or she was called. Finally, a corporate Help Desk was called, which keyed in a code for their register to recognize the item. After half an hour, I walked out with a gift card.

If it is corporate policy to allow IRIS returns (especially with a receipt), then why is the system not set up to do so?

It is a common tactic in retail to make sales as easy as possible, but in order to discourage the loss they take on returns, to make returns more difficult slowly over time. Since lowe's is loosing a ton of money on this, and they know they can expect to loose a ton more as June 30th gets closer and closer and more users release their IRIS systems are now useless toys because Lowe's software development teams are unable to deliver a quality product, i fully expect the store managers to play every dirty trick in their sytem to make this almost impossible, hence why i posted those internal memo's to help counter their attack on our users.

If it is corporate policy to allow IRIS returns (especially with a receipt), then why is the system not set up to do so?

Regrettably, I guess my experience was common to those of most who have posted above. I returned a range extender with receipt, and was told they couldn't return it because it "wasn't in the system." I explained about the Lowes bulletin and got no traction on that angle -- was told I would need to produce it by two different folks in CS. There is no awareness of or interest in the IRIS problems, no particular concern that I've spent a great deal of money on the products, and no interest from the manager when he or she was called. Finally, a corporate Help Desk was called, which keyed in a code for their register to recognize the item. After half an hour, I walked out with a gift card.

What happens is after a product is removed from the stores (when they switched out the iris display to the v2), the product gets marked as "non-stock" (meaning no longer carried). After two months of having zero on hand in the store, the local system will then remove that item number from the store's database (but not corporate's).

There is a way for the stores to add it back, however most of the customer service associates in the stores do not know how to (it's just two button presses on a screen).

What happens is after a product is removed from the stores (when they switched out the iris display to the v2), the product gets marked as "non-stock" (meaning no longer carried). After two months of having zero on hand in the store, the local system will then remove that item number from the store's database (but not corporate's).

There is a way for the stores to add it back, however most of the customer service associates in the stores do not know how to (it's just two button presses on a screen).

No it's a mass conspiracy to save the corporate overloads .  No way it's just a simple computer problem.  B)

It is a common tactic in retail to make sales as easy as possible, but in order to discourage the loss they take on returns, to make returns more difficult slowly over time. Since lowe's is loosing a ton of money on this, and they know they can expect to loose a ton more as June 30th gets closer and closer and more users release their IRIS systems are now useless toys because Lowe's software development teams are unable to deliver a quality product, i fully expect the store managers to play every dirty trick in their sytem to make this almost impossible, hence why i posted those internal memo's to help counter their attack on our users.

I don't think it's necessarily the intent of the local store personnel to make it difficult to return Iris products as much as it's a lack of communication. Lowe's stands behind anything they sell including Iris.  The stores were given instructions to accept any Iris product without question but when you're dealing with 1700 stores and the potential of thousands of customer service employees I can see where these problems can happen.  I'm not defending this but trying to point out how this can happen.

When stores began receiving V2 hardware and prior to it supposed to be on the shelves I saw it out for sale in several of my local stores.  Another example how something that gets dictated from corporate never makes it to the complete store level.  People were buying hubs before V2 went public and couldn't activate a new account.

No it's a mass conspiracy to save the corporate overloads . No way it's just a simple computer problem. B)

Not really a computer issue. More of most customer service associates aren't trained on adding items back into the system. Management however does know how to.

To the OP: Call the 1-800-445-6937 number (that's Lowe's customer care). Tell them that you were told you couldn't return the items and explain the reason why you're returning the system. What will happen is that customer care will create an "incident" which gets sent to the store with urgent priority (these must be taken care of within 24 hours, no ifs, ands, or buts about it). You'll get called back within a couple hours usually by a store manager, and then just have to bring it in and they will take it.

It's like the old saying goes can't always attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence and/or lack of communication.

Agreed. I've had to show some of the customer service associates I work with this procedure before. Also, the store associates probably don't know about the corporate notice for returning V1 iris. It wasn't emailed to the stores but put on the intra-company discussion site (that's how I found it).

Agreed. I've had to show some of the customer service associates I work with this procedure before. Also, the store associates probably don't know about the corporate notice for returning V1 iris. It wasn't emailed to the stores but put on the intra-company discussion site (that's how I found it).

Knowing this is really helpful... If only Lowe's had brought in a PR/communications person in January this may have gone slightly better..