End of my affair with Iris. V1 was sweet, but time to move on...
3 3

23 posts in this topic

Posted from a thread in the Help/Questions forum re V2 not being able to get thru my Router/Modem

for further background, see that thread.

Dan8785, on 20 Jun 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:snapback.png

Could you get a cheap router, set the IP address of new router to a static address, set that static address into your internet modem/router as the DMZ IP address, then have the Iris Hub and your Ooma IP phone work from that router?   

Dan, that might be a workable solution, and if I had received your message a bit earlier, may have tried it out... however, as of a couple hours ago, all the Iris V1 gear I have accumulated has been returned to my local Lowes, for a complete refund.

I had spoken to one of the local managers a month ago and reviewed the status of Iris V1 and V2 with him, and at that time he indicated that if I could not make V2 work satisfactorily, he would accept the return.  The return was easy, with Lowes store personnel very cooperative.

I had a great experience with V1, most everything worked, and what did not, was returned (swapped out) and the swapped out material worked.

I can not say that for V2.  As outlined above, V2 could not make it through my router/modem, regardless of any settings prescribed by Iris Support Level1, Iris support Level2, or Lowes Executive Support.  As far as I know, I still have an open incident with Level 2, and Lowes Executive Support.  Neither Level2 or the developers, or Lowes Executive support could provide a resolution...  Although V1 continued to work fine.

Even with the June 30th clock ticking, there just did not seem to be any urgency among those support folks.  No one would take ownership and solve the issue.  I even suggested that they buy me a cheap router to place behind my router/modem (if it would work) which would ultimately be less expensive for Lowes than buying back all my V1 gear (which they would then have to toss) ...  but apparently, no one has the freedom to think out of the box.  Corporation too big I guess... and everyone doing just their little job.

Anyway, I am now looking for a replacement system.  I did keep one of the Lowes cameras and am using it (along with my other cameras) with third party software.

Appreciate the suggestions from everyone here on this forum...  I will place a copy of this in the general thread.

The issue for me is that no other system for DIY'ers is without problems. SmartThings seems to be the leader, but when I look at their

forums they seem to be heavy with people who are more tech oriented than even I am. Writing code for their systems and that is not

what I am looking for. They also, have many issues.

Iris is not production for me, in that if it isn't 100% that's okay. I only set alarms when away from home and other controls are convenience

than necessity.

The biggest obstacle to switching would be cost. It would cost a small fortune to switch to ST and have all the gear I have. I have between

50-60 devices, but my total investment is much less than comparable systems. I often troll Lowe's sales and E-Bay for equipment at heavily

discounted prices. Is Iris perfect, well we know that answer. Is it good enough for me, for now it is. 

The issue for me is that no other system for DIY'ers is without problems. SmartThings seems to be the leader, but when I look at their

forums they seem to be heavy with people who are more tech oriented than even I am. Writing code for their systems and that is not

what I am looking for. They also, have many issues.

Iris is not production for me, in that if it isn't 100% that's okay. I only set alarms when away from home and other controls are convenience

than necessity.

The biggest obstacle to switching would be cost. It would cost a small fortune to switch to ST and have all the gear I have. I have between

50-60 devices, but my total investment is much less than comparable systems. I often troll Lowe's sales and E-Bay for equipment at heavily

discounted prices. Is Iris perfect, well we know that answer. Is it good enough for me, for now it is. 

Don't let the ST forums scare you. Having access to code is prolly one of the easiest and best features of the platform. Since I switched almost 2 months ago I have had a rock solid platform. Upgrades have all gone smoothly and they send out advance notice. Got a device that isn't supported out of the box, search the item and ST code and you are likely to find a driver. Copy and paste it in, and on pairing it will use that driver. There is a nice little plugin for accuweather as well that is virtual, but you can use it to trigger all sorts of things. I've been able to add so many generic Zwave devices. And some of the paid options are awesome as well, especially for the Schlage locks. The ability to use it as an alarm device, lock out the keypad, set the sensitivity for different times of days, etc. I have the sirens tied into the system to act as door chimes, as well as if the smoke detectors alert, to trigger then as well. Yes, it only has minimal offline processing, but at this point I've not had their backend drop after they fixed all of their DB problems. That was a huge cluster right as I got my system, but they acknowledged the problem and fixed it.  

Yes, it only has minimal offline processing, but at this point I've not had their backend drop after they fixed all of their DB problems. 

Does Smart Things notify you when

1) The hub goes offline (loses internet)?

2) Devices & sensors go offline (lose their connection to the hub)?

If so, how quickly?    And, if the hub goes offline, are all events stored and forwarded once the internet comes back up?  Iris V1 did all of this.  Iris V2 does not.  

I've only had it drop offline once, and I was notified very quickly. If the alarm is triggered the text is immediate. As far as the devices going offline, since switching I have not had a single device drop offline that I am aware of. Every device always responds when it is supposed to. Most of my network at this point is zwave. I've got GE Link bulbs and Iris 4 button controllers for zigbee only. 

Yea...we've been hearing that a lot of stuff is coming...8 months later its a failed experiment. It's a clinging hope that it will get better as many are heavily invested in what is essentially a proprietary system, despite the use of of an open standard. Something tells me that within the year Iris is going to go the same route as Wink/Quirky/Staples. The community to support it is not there and its run by a corporation that once they realize its a money sink will kill it off to appease shareholders. Lowes has never been in the hardware/software development/support game. It was honestly an incredibly stupid thing for them to do in the first place. Should have continued the outsource model. The displays are always battered and disheveled, with not a second thought given to them. I've got 10 Lowes within about 20 miles of me. They are all the same way. It's a half committed effort to get a piece of the market. The honest reality is that in the battle for integration to peoples homes, ST is winning. Samsung is willing to throw massive amounts of money at it. Its what they do as a business. Lowes is in a hardware selling business, not technology. Its been a pretty obvious  given how they have handled every problem with this system. Over-promise, under deliver, and stay silent on issues. Their support is atrocious.  I'm in IT. If I did this to my users I'd be crucified on the spot. 

I do wonder when I walk by iris endcaps what kind of revenue it really brings each store. The inventory seems a little stagnant to me. That's prime retail realestate. I wonder what store managers think about that. That could explain some of our service experiences at the stores.

Yes they are both made by Centralite. The biggest difference is the Iris hub was designed to handle complete offline processing which contrary to the naysayers will be coming sooner than later.

This is definitely good news. The pessimist in me though believes offline processing would all the sudden let them kill the product line if they wanted too. However, they gone this far with it, I doubt they would drop it now.

ST is winning. Samsung is willing to throw massive amounts of money at it. Its what they do as a business. Lowes is in a hardware selling business, not technology. Its been a pretty obvious  given how they have handled every problem with this system. Over-promise, under deliver, and stay silent on issues. Their support is atrocious.  I'm in IT. If I did this to my users I'd be crucified on the spot. 

Iris had problems in V1 as well, just people forget how it was in the very beginning. They have made some bad decisions and repeating some of the same bad decisions they've made in the past. I'm not saying they deserve a pass by any means. I'm not saying I'm happy with Lowes at this point either. However their system still fits my needs better than any of the alternatives. ST is far from winning this battle, I don't know anyone using them. I do know people using Iris, and thats with zero marketing essentially. However Lowes, don't market anything until you actually fix your "broken" system.

I do wonder when I walk by iris endcaps what kind of revenue it really brings each store. The inventory seems a little stagnant to me. That's prime retail realestate. I wonder what store managers think about that. That could explain some of our service experiences at the stores.

Most people don't realize what the stuff is, or how to do it. Lowes puts basically zero marketing into the system that I've seen. However, again lets not market the system, until the kinks are worked out.

As far as the devices going offline, since switching I have not had a single device drop offline that I am aware of. Every device always responds when it is supposed to. Most of my network at this point is zwave. I've got GE Link bulbs and Iris 4 button controllers for zigbee only. 

But, how do you know nothing drops off?  Would you mind trying a test?  Take the battery out of a sensor and see how long it takes ST actually sends you an alert about the disconnected sensor.  If you're feeling extra helpful, try that test with a Zigbee device and a Z-wave device.  

Yes they are both made by Centralite. The biggest difference is the Iris hub was designed to handle complete offline processing which contrary to the naysayers will be coming sooner than later.

Really? If true, that would be awesome. 

Any chance you could expand on how you know this and what sort of time frame we're looking at?

So you had me curious about it, and smarthings doesn't actually poll the devices as a battery saving measure. However...because of the ST nature, somebody wrote a code app for it. I just uploaded it to my dashboard and I'll test it out to see how it works. If there is a feature missing on the platform you usually just have to look for the code someone wrote. 

Really? If true, that would be awesome. 

Any chance you could expand on how you know this and what sort of time frame we're looking at?

No but I believe within the next 90 days.  The hub was designed for local processing so it's my opinion it's been the plan all along and should have been an early priority.  My opinion and a few buck will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

No but I believe within the next 90 days.  The hub was designed for local processing so it's my opinion it's been the plan all along and should have been an early priority.  My opinion and a few buck will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Well there is that but also professional monitoring has been announced.  I think that professional monitoring would require local processing of security functions at a minimum.

The concern i have with that statement, is Lowes may only turn on local processing for an additional $39.99 per month to only support their super-premium security service provider. they may never release it as a regular or a paid feature except with also signing up for the premium security monitoring.

Well there is that but also professional monitoring has been announced.  I think that professional monitoring would require local processing of security functions at a minimum.

So far my experience on V2 has not been a bad one.  I've been migrating sensors over steadily over the last month and so far V2 has been reliable for me and the responsiveness is definitely great.    I can also say that I appreciate those who are sticking with it during the hard times while it grows.  If everyone abandons ship, yes, Iris will eventually fail.   For me, I'd rather see it succeed.   I do realize that there are a lot of shortcomings that the Iris team has; especially organization and communication, but I think it's in the best interest of the community and our investments to try and stay constructive and supportive.    Many days reading the forums I feel like the mindset of many is "Lowes can't do anything right.  They're a complete failure with Iris."  While that vent may feel good at the time, it's not going to probably end up with the most positive results.  It's especially interesting to me to read so many complaints about V1 and what people didn't like about it.. Then when it was implemented in V2, folks complained about that, too.   One that comes to mind are push notifications instead of text messages/emails. Now that we have that, folks are complaining about it.   Sometimes it feels like the developers just can't win when they DO listen to what we think we want. 

The concern i have with that statement, is Lowes may only turn on local processing for an additional $39.99 per month to only support their super-premium security service provider. they may never release it as a regular or a paid feature except with also signing up for the premium security monitoring.

Really Doubtful.  Something like offline processing would be a major overhaul of the platform and the firmware of the hubs.  It's not something that would be easily turned on and off as an add-on option.  You either have it, or you don't.  For everyone.  I don't see it being an add-on feature. 

Pricing for professional monitoring has been announced.  It is an extra $10 over premium.  Here is a cut and paste from the blog:

• $19.99/month*
  • Includes Home Automation premium service ($9.99/month value)

*Will require select Iris devices, requires broadband internet, may not be available in all areas, Iris by Lowe’s will send an email to the address provided when the service becomes available in your area.