Is the range extender supported in V2?
3 3

26 posts in this topic

I think I get my range extender to connect - I hear a confirmation beep during pairing and I see a New Device 1 in the device menu but other than that I can't tell if it's truly connected and working. 

I think I get my range extender to connect - I hear a confirmation beep during pairing and I see a New Device 1 in the device menu but other than that I can't tell if it's truly connected and working. 

They may or may not work, but I can say, that in your case; it seems that she device did not pair properly.  Are you on android or IOS?  If you are android, you can remove the device yourself and try repairing.  if you are on IOS, I think that you will have to call tech support to have them remove it.  If it does not pair as a "Range Extender" and it pairs as an "Unknown Device", it didn't properly pair.

Tier 2 told me yesterday, "you have two options with a range extender, 1. Throw it in the garbage 2. Return it and get a V2 smart plug.

I chose option 2

Hmmmm, is there a special procedure to follow to return it and get a smartplug? Mine is not working either.

I had 4 range extenders on my V1 system.  They never seemed to work well.  On the web dashboard they were always listed as Low Signal (even though they were in the same 12x12 room as the hub, or within 20 feet of it.  

When I migrated to V2, they showed up as a device, but did not seem to extend the range at all.  I had real problems with my GE outlets and Schlage Door Levers.  I went and bought 3 of the Next Gen Smart Plugs and the range issues seem to be resolved. 

That's my experience.  I would ditch them, or at least try to get some money back on them. 

What is the current method to ensure a local store will give credit for returning them?  Mine refused to accept them without receipt and I'm not sure I can find the original purchase receipt at this point.

I have 2 that chain from my house to my shop about 150' away.  They work great for zigbee, but not at all for zwave.  This was the case with v1 as well.  I know they are working as I removed them and my remote devices dropped off immediately.  They didn't come back until I repaired the range extenders and put them back into place.  I left them out for a few days to see if the network would heal itself.  It didn't.  I'm keeping them as the battery backup is important to me.  -Jim C

What is the current method to ensure a local store will give credit for returning them?  Mine refused to accept them without receipt and I'm not sure I can find the original purchase receipt at this point.

PM irisByLowes

PM irisByLowes

Be prepared to stand your ground even with a return letter.

If you get an RA or RI number be sure to point it out. Some customer service people try to be obtuse with returns, or, if that fails threaten to throw a temper tantrum.

I took my range extender to lowes today and told then that an iris rep told me it was defective and that I should return it for in store credit. they looked for a replacement, couldn't find it (bc it's dc of course) and then exchanged it outright for a smart plug as I told them that's what the rep said I should replace it with. Went pretty smoothly. 

Sharing my experience. I took my V1 range extender back today and the lady called another lady over and she showed her how to put it back in the system. She told her to press F10 then F11 and some other stuff and she gave me a merchandise credit for the range extender. I purchased the V2 smart Plug to replace it and walked away with 27 cents left on the merchandise credit. I pulled up my history of my "mylowes" card where I purchased it back on 10/3/2014. I just told them that Iris tech support suggested returning it to the store for a V2 smart Plug swap that replaces that unit since it isn't compatible with version 2.

Sharing my experience. I took my V1 range extender back today and the lady called another lady over and she showed her how to put it back in the system. She told her to press F10 then F11 and some other stuff and she gave me a merchandise credit for the range extender. I purchased the V2 smart Plug to replace it and walked away with 27 cents left on the merchandise credit. I pulled up my history of my "mylowes" card where I purchased it back on 10/3/2014. I just told them that Iris tech support suggested returning it to the store for a V2 smart Plug swap that replaces that unit since it isn't compatible with version 2.

I think my 2 range extenders came as part of a larger package. Wonder if they would still do a one for one swap in this scenario?

I think my 2 range extenders came as part of a larger package. Wonder if they would still do a one for one swap in this scenario?

They asked me if it was part of a kit, I said no, but mine was a single purchase.  I doubt they would know the difference.  I will post my return receipt in case it helps anyone.

post-143-0-07867100-1466818210_thumb.png

I have a related question...

The V1 extender not only was a range extender (effectively an RF repeater), but it also expanded the number of devices that could be addressed by the system. I discovered this as I was building out my V1 system a couple of years ago. As soon as I got over a certain number of devices (somewhere around 30), I found that the extender was needed to support additional devices.

Does anyone know if V2 has this same limitation, and if so (since there is not V2 extender), does the V2 smart plug provide this device expander capability?

I couldn't get the V1 range extender to pair with the V2 hub, even after multiple attempts and resets.

I took the extender to my closest Lowe's and after a little work with the manager, he was able to find the part number in their system and issued me a merchandise credit. I then took that and applied it to the purchase of a V2 smart plug. The smart plug paired immediately and seems to be extending my coverage into the more distant locations in the house.

There are several threads on this forum covering this topic.  I suggest you use the forum's search function and search for "range extender."  There are varying opinions on whether these work or not.

The support.irisbylowes.com site states that they definitely do work.  So, why does Iris phone support keep telling people that it doesn't?  

Also, swapping out the range extender for a V2 smart plug will not help if you need to extend the range of V1 zigbee devices.

I probably spent an hour trying to get my V1 extender to pair to the V2 hub, including multiple factory resets of the device. After all these attempts, I decided to try the trade-in approach for the V2 smart plug.

I had two devices on the fringe (distance wise) of my network that were having a hard time maintaining connection. One was a V1 contact sensor on my garage door and the other was a V1 keypad (both Zigbee devices). The keypad would usually maintain connection but reacted very slowly as compared to the other two keypads in the house.

Once I swapped-out the extender for the V2 smart plug, these two connected and have been stable for the last day. Based on this, I am seeing that the V2 smart plug is extending the range for V1 devices in a V2 network.

I read the brief article in the referenced iris support link. Upon first reading this, it would seem that my observation is contrary to the article. However, their statements are somewhat vague. They basically are only saying that a V1 smart plug extends in V1 and V2 networks and a V2 smart plug extends in only V2 networks. Note that they don't say anything about devices. Specifically, they don't necessarily address V1 devices in a V2 network. Based on my limited experience they do provide this function. My entire network seems to be more stable since installing the V2 smart plug.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there on this. I'm pretty sure the V1 Range Extender only extends for Zigbee and not Z-Wave. It does work with Iris 2 (I have one paired) but they seem to be very hard to pair (I think timing has to be just right, or mabe some devises have different firmware that won't pair).

The V2 Smart Plug extends both Zigbee and Z-Wave, and I find it hard to beleive that it does not work with V1 Zigbee devices. I suppose it is possible since the V1 Iris (AlertMe) devices apparently use proprietary (non-HA) commands, but I really doubt it because that would seem to violate to whole "mesh" concept Zigbee uses.

I still have one V1 Range Extender that I have kept in my system because once I got it paired I did not want to remove it, but now hearing that people are able to exchange them for a V2 Smart Plug I am tempted to do that because the plug not only has more capabilities, but its firmware can be updated as well, and usually it is my Z-Wave mesh that needs to be extended, not the Zigbee.

The support.irisbylowes.com site states that they definitely do work.  So, why does Iris phone support keep telling people that it doesn't?  

Also, swapping out the range extender for a V2 smart plug will not help if you need to extend the range of V1 zigbee devices.

...you will get a different answer each time you call.  I just hung up and I was told that " a version 2 smart plug WILL extend the range of all zigbee and zwave devices whether they are V1 devices as long as they are running on V2.  IT will NOT extend Wifi............"  They referred me to the  "Will the Smart Plug also act as a Range Extender" on their support page and THEY read it to me and said that the reference to "NEXT GEN" refers to the network (as opposed to V1 or Wifi) and had nothing to do with the devices.

While it may work, it caused a lot of thrashing when I initially did the switch.  T1/T2 was perplexed, but I removed it after reading on here somewhere that it can cause issues.  Not all issues were resolved, but it helped improve the stability. 

Support had me swap my range extender for a smart plug a few days ago and since then I've been having a few of my devices that are furthest away from the hub drop off and come back online very frequently. Any thoughts?