Reworked Thermostat Controls
2 2

16 posts in this topic

One feature I would REALLY like to see developed in Iris is smarter thermostat control.   Right now you have to turn the thermostat to ON in order to set a temperature.  This is not a good idea.    My schedule has my thermostat set to 79 degrees cooling at 8:05 AM.   My thermostat had been turned off the last several days as it wasn't that hot.   But, when I turned my thermostat to Cool so that I wouldn't forget to later in the day, it set the thermostat INSTANTLY to the last set temperature of 72.  This caused the AC to kick on literally less than 5 seconds after it was set to cool on the app when in an ideal world it should have picked up the scheduled temp of 79.  The app doesn't pickup the scheduled time unfortunately so my AC was kicking on instantly when I did NOT intend for it to, but there is absolutely no way to avoid it.   To make it worse, I kept changing the temp on the app, and it kept setting it back to 70 for some reason.  (I don't have 70 anywhere in my schedule, either.)   What I'd like to see is a built-in 30 second delay when a thermostat is turned on so that the user can manually change the temperature to a hold temp before it kicks on if they're not able to program it to pickup the scheduled time instead.   Or better yet, let us choose a temperature BEFORE switching on the thermostat.  

Why does the thermostat pick up the scheduled temperature when it's turned on?  It seems pretty silly to me that it reverts back to the last set temp.   

Yeah, its sort of dumb how the scheduling works. It doesn't really look at thermostat schedules as periods of times (79 degrees BETWEEN 8:05 and 5:30)... its more like "turn TO 79 degrees AT 8:05, and then TURN TO 72 Degrees AT 5:30".
So basically its just a command (set the temp to x) that fires at a specific time. If you miss that time, then it waits and fires the next scheduled temp at the next scheduled time.
It's pretty dumb for a "smart thermostat".

I recently yanked my CT101 out for a nest.
Not sure if I really like the nest more than the CT101 on V1, but its definitely better than the CT101 on V2.

I also had the bug where adjusting the temp from the app would cause it to jump to a different temp. It seemed like if I kept playing with it, the temp it would jump to would eventually change (in the opposite direction from what I wanted)>

Not sure about the nest, jury is still out. Apparently it has to "learn" your habits... I think our lifestyle might just be too unpredictable and our preferences might not be very compatible with the nests extreme energy savings methodology.

Is this thread requesting to have the thermostat schedule treated as periods of time rather than discrete set points?  If so, I'm all for it!

I currently have my system programed to bump up the thermostat and hold that temperature when I set the alarm.  When I disable the alarm the thermostat goes back to it's normal schedule.  Problem is I have to wait for the next set point or set it manually to get out of my hold temperature.  I've been thinking about scheduling the temperate every hour so my wait isn't that long but come on.  Being about to set the thermostat temperature based on alarm state is great but what a kluge to make this smart thermostat almost do what every other programmable thermostat on the market can do, as far as running a schedule.

Is this thread requesting to have the thermostat schedule treated as periods of time rather than discrete set points?  If so, I'm all for it!

Essentially, yes.   I have since given up on the Iris thermostat and returned it as I didn't like how it functioned.   I have been MUCH happier with the Ecobee as it behaves just the way I always wished the Iris thermostat would.  

I use the thermostat that came with my original V1 package. It was great on V1 with the scheduling and actually cut my electric bill down a good bit because of the scheduling.

V2 thermostat control on it... Not so much. I stopped trying to schedule with it this summer after I setting up the V2 hub. I had the system set to allow the temperature to be at 76 when no one was home (ex. between 10am and 4pm) and to drop back down to 68 from say 4pm to 10pm, and finally overnight raise to 72. First day of using, the temperature never raised up to 75 (I had to manually adjust it at work after checking it at 2pm). I got home at 5pm, temperature was still set at 76 (requiring another manual change), and I checked it once more after the house felt like a freezer at night from the thermostat not changing again for the overnight schedule.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I use the thermostat that came with my original V1 package. It was great on V1 with the scheduling and actually cut my electric bill down a good bit because of the scheduling.

V2 thermostat control on it... Not so much. I stopped trying to schedule with it this summer after I setting up the V2 hub. I had the system set to allow the temperature to be at 76 when no one was home (ex. between 10am and 4pm) and to drop back down to 68 from say 4pm to 10pm, and finally overnight raise to 72. First day of using, the temperature never raised up to 75 (I had to manually adjust it at work after checking it at 2pm). I got home at 5pm, temperature was still set at 76 (requiring another manual change), and I checked it once more after the house felt like a freezer at night from the thermostat not changing again for the overnight schedule.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I guess I have been lucky, because I have never had an issue with the thermostat.  It is definitely not the most intuitive setup, but my schedule runs flawlessly   It was one of the last things I brought over to V2, mainly because of the complaints I saw from people on here.   So I was very worried, but so far so good.

I have two separate schedules one for cool and one for heat, I have never tried to use Auto.    Here in Middle GA you need one or the other never both at the same time.  I tried auto briefly under V1 and It never worked and really didn't need it anyway so I have just stuck to two separate schedules under V2.   The app is a bit flaky when changing temps, it never jumps around like some have described but I sometimes have to push the + or - several times to get it to change.  Now with my Echo Dots , however, I can just tell it a temp and jumps right to it.

I have a scene which turns my thermostat down to 55 degrees when my fob is away. Another scene restores my thermostat to it's schedule ( 68 degrees at 7 AM and 62 degrees at 10 PM) when I return home. I understand why it currently only returns to it's scheduled temperature at my preset times but absolutely cannot understand why it can't be made to work within the time period as described here. It would be so much better and I can't imagine it would be difficult to implement. I am contemplating setting schedules for every 15 minutes as a work around and do not know if it will allow me to set 96 incidents per day.

If your thermostat is already on a schedule why not just set the arrival scene to set the temperature to 68 degrees?  If you arrive home after 10 PM you'll have to set up two separate rules (with associated scenes) and schedule them accordingly.

I also would like to see the thermostat reset to scheduled temps when I arrive at home. It seems absurd to me that when I arrive home at 2PM that I have to wait until 7PM for my automated home to return to a scheduled temp.

I am not a programmer but it worked with V1 why change it?

I gave up on my CT101 last summer. I changed it out for a Nest and have been reasonably happy. I'm hoping for nest integration with Iris soon, and at that point I will try out iris t-stat control again.
From what I have used so far this is what I think about them (from best to worst) CT101 on V1 > Nest > CT101 on V2.
V1 worked exactly how I would want because it allowed me to have a schedule run while the home was empty, and have a hold temp while we were home. Any brief "pop-ins" (maybe for lunch, stopping by to pickup something, etc...) during our normal 8-5 away times would only briefly interrupt the schedule (placing the t-stat on hold while someone was there) and immediately return to it's previous temp and schedule upon departure.
This is impossible to do with V2. The best you can do is set redundant temp changes every 15 minutes or so on the schedule so that after iris realizes the house is empty (which can be 10-12 minutes after the last person has left), the next scheduled time would be no longer that 15 minutes out. In this example, worst case scenario is 27 minutes... but it feels like a hack. I shouldn't have to schedule 96 schedule changes per day (most of them redundant).

Unless you have had your T-stat setup this way, it might be hard to understand why you would do this instead of just telling it to change to one temperature when you leave, and one when you arrive.
The basic premise is that I want a SCHEDULE of different temperatures when I am away to reflect my typical routine. For instance, in the summer at 4PM I want it to START cooling off so the house will not be hot by the time I get off work. Once I arrive (at a variable time in the evening) another temp change would occur. I don't want it to wait until I have arrived before it even begins to cool. If I leave the house AFTER 5PM, I don't have a predictable time I would be back, so I can't schedule a time for it to start making the house comfortable again... so my "after 5PM" schedule should only slightly raise (or lower in the winter) the temperature so that it's not too uncomfortable when we return, but yet is still running a little less often. I had all this setup in V1 and I never had to think about it... it just all worked for me and did exactly what I wanted without having to worry about it.
In V2 (and to some extent, with the nest also), you have to babysit it and remember that if your routine is off you may need to make some changes.

Iris V1, in my opinion, had about the best thermostat functionality of any product I've seen. It was flexible enough to handle anything. V2 took several steps backwards.

I use a CT101 and I am pretty happy with it.  I have a heat and a cool schedule.  I don't try to use the Auto schedule.. Our schedule is pretty set, but it can change from time to time.  But for normal day to day the CT101 seems to work well.

I have a temp that starts about hour before we get up, one when we leave for work, one about 30 minutes before we get home and the last when we go to bed.  I change this slightly on the weekend.

The only issue I have is that with a scene I can't just set a temp on the thermostat.  I have to set a temp that halts the schedule.  Sometimes we both leave earlier than the scheduled leave time and I would like to set the away temp at that time.  I do not want to halt my schedule though. With the addition of the echo dots I can tell Alexa to lower the temp as I am walking out the door, so that helps. 

Yeah, I've never been able to use the auto modes... they never really seemed to work when I tried them.
Our routines aren't quite "routine" enough for the sort of schedule you mention. We could get home anywhere between 4:30PM and 10PM.
My wife may leave the house as early as 7AM, or as late as 9:30AM.

We have a specific cool point, and a specific heat point we like when we are home. Regardless of whether we are awake or sleeping.
I like to let the air or heat mostly turn off during the day when we are almost certainly not going to be there, and maintain a safe temperature which would still be uncomfortable if we were there. . At a specific time, I want it to kick in to bring it to a "reasonable" temperature before we get home, although it may still be a few degrees off from the ideal temp... this is a good compromise because the temp is bearable yet not ideal when we first get home. If we don't get home at 5PM, it is still maintaining a reasonable temperature, but not wasting additional energy by trying to push it to our ideal temperature. At that point, when we get home it doesn't take long to get from a reasonable temp to our ideal temp.

Also, I never know what time (or IF) I will come home for lunch. If I have a presence rule which changes the temp to hold when I arrive, it would trigger when I come home for lunch and I have to know what time I would leave in order to set the schedule to trip back to the "away" temperature... In the summer, it may be maintaining 78 degrees while no one is home, switch to 72 degrees at 4PM and then switch to 69 when someone is home. Yet, if we leave after 5PM to go out for dinner or groceries, I don't want it to switch back to 78... at that point it should switch to 72. I guess there are ways to fudge this together with V2, but it worked flawlessly with V1.

So I don't know if this will help, but I came up with a work-around for the whole set periods of time thing that has been working for me lately. I have a bit of a complicated thermostat schedule that fluctuates between about 4 or 5 different temperature points throughout the day. You can set the away temperature and a return temperature, but in order to have the return home temperature immediately effective, the rule has to set the Thermostat to manual mode, which of course is why we have this thread devoted to us looking for the set periods of time thing.

So, here's the work-around I created. First, I made a scene called Thermostat that does nothing but set my Thermostat back from manual mode to automatic mode. I then created a rule so that every time one of the door sensors at my house was opened, the system ran that Thermostat scene. This made it so that when I got home, my key fob would auto-disarm the system and the thermostat would be manually set to the correct temperature based on my arriving home scene. Then when I enter the house, the system kicks into auto mode so that at the next set time, the system will correctly change my temperature to the scheduled temperature. It was a nice workaround because it really only required creating 1 scene and about 2 or 3 rules for each of the doors. I've been using it this way for about 3 months now completely hands-free, it hasn't failed me once!

I hope this helps anybody out there looking for the same work-around!

So I don't know if this will help, but I came up with a work-around for the whole set periods of time thing that has been working for me lately. I have a bit of a complicated thermostat schedule that fluctuates between about 4 or 5 different temperature points throughout the day. You can set the away temperature and a return temperature, but in order to have the return home temperature immediately effective, the rule has to set the Thermostat to manual mode, which of course is why we have this thread devoted to us looking for the set periods of time thing.

So, here's the work-around I created. First, I made a scene called Thermostat that does nothing but set my Thermostat back from manual mode to automatic mode. I then created a rule so that every time one of the door sensors at my house was opened, the system ran that Thermostat scene. This made it so that when I got home, my key fob would auto-disarm the system and the thermostat would be manually set to the correct temperature based on my arriving home scene. Then when I enter the house, the system kicks into auto mode so that at the next set time, the system will correctly change my temperature to the scheduled temperature. It was a nice workaround because it really only required creating 1 scene and about 2 or 3 rules for each of the doors. I've been using it this way for about 3 months now completely hands-free, it hasn't failed me once!

I hope this helps anybody out there looking for the same work-around!

I do not understand how to make this work. How do you set it up so that the correct temperature is set when arriving home at different times during the day?

I do not understand how to make this work. How do you set it up so that the correct temperature is set when arriving home at different times during the day?

i finally figured this out and got it working. If anyone needs specifics let me know