*Any* light bulbs with 99% reliability?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I've been reading every thread I can find about light bulbs, including that Cree thread most recently, and I'm unable to figure out whether *any* bulbs out there will definitely (or almost definitely) work.  I really want to get this figured out before going on vacation.  So:  Are there any bulbs that I can buy that will at-least-almost definitely work?

Yep, osram lightify A19.  I have about 10 of them at the house and they are pretty much stable on the system now.  They used to come on by themselves and disconnect all the time but I haven't had any issues lately with them.  They should be right around the iris stuff.  http://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Lightify-9-5-Watt-60W-Equivalent-2-700K-A19-Medium-Base-E-26-Dimmable-Soft-White-LED-Bulb-with-Built-In-WiFi/999910805  Some lowes has them under a different part number so if yours says unavaliable just search for the other one.

I have 3 OSRAM bulbs and one has been randomly connecting and disconnecting. The other two have had no issues.  I also have one GE link bulb on my system and it has been rock solid.  However, when I first bought the GE link I only had one and it worked great for 2 months.  Then I decided to add more and that is when things went sideways.  I then started trying the OSRAM.  They weren't very reliable either at first, but I think it was due to having the GE links bulbs active.  Since I shut the GE bulbs down the OSRAMs have been, I would say 99% reliable.

Re: those Osram lightify A19s, a Q&A at that link says they're both wifi and ZigBee (though the description just says wifi). True? And, if so, would they function as ZigBee signal repeaters, too, since they're not battery powered?

I have 8 GE link bulbs I have disconnected from iris. @Terminal so your saying they are stable enough to connect back in? Would make me very happy if they worked and were stablish

I'm only saying I have one connected and it's working.  I have not yet tried adding any more.  As I said when I started adding more GE link bulbs that is when I started having issues. 

I have thought about adding in a second but everywhere I would want to use them is a spot I don't want coming on in the middle of the night.  They were bad about that on V1 and they were never stable on V2.

Re: those Osram lightify A19s, a Q&A at that link says they're both wifi and ZigBee (though the description just says wifi). True? And, if so, would they function as ZigBee signal repeaters, too, since they're not battery powered?

I just saw Zigbee on the side of the bulb, not sure anything about WIFI or how they would even work with that.  I know the ones I have work over Zigbee.

I have a Cree that was transitioned from V1 and worked great until I unpaired it and tried to re-pair it. It pairs but does not work. It always says 82 percent brightness and is uncontrollable.

I think the problems are in the programming or the hub, not the bulbs.

I'm a big fan of the Sylvania LED's, but not everyone has had good luck with them. I've got close to a dozen in my system, five of them outdoors (under cover). They've been very stable. Lowes has them now for $20.

I'm a big fan of the Sylvania LED's, but not everyone has had good luck with them. I've got close to a dozen in my system, five of them outdoors (under cover). They've been very stable. Lowes has them now for $20.

I have them on my outdoor (covered) lights.  Two in the backyard under an overhang, carport, and one in the laundry room.  They work great also of you are looking for a floodlight type bulb.

I have one and it disconnects all of the time. Moved router to Den as we were renovating office. My downstairs thermostat has stopped disconnecting, but the light which is probably 12 feet from the router still disconnects. 

I have one and it disconnects all of the time. Moved router to Den as we were renovating office. My downstairs thermostat has stopped disconnecting, but the light which is probably 12 feet from the router still disconnects. 

I had my carport one do that a while back and I removed it, reset it, and added it back.  I haven't had any issues with it since then.

I had my carport one do that a while back and I removed it, reset it, and added it back.  I haven't had any issues with it since then.

One of mine was a resold returned item, and I had to reset it to get it to work with my hub. IIRC, the reset involves turning it on and off 8 times manually at the lamp switch.

I have a question and Google isn't being too friendly right now. Can I use the Lightify A19s in ceiling fans? I know ceiling fan light bulbs are designed to handle the extra vibrations, but I guess that would only affect the bulb if it was a filament. For a LED bulb, it shouldn't matter right? Just wanted to confirm before I burn a $20 x 4 light  :D

I have a question and Google isn't being too friendly right now. Can I use the Lightify A19s in ceiling fans? I know ceiling fan light bulbs are designed to handle the extra vibrations, but I guess that would only affect the bulb if it was a filament. For a LED bulb, it shouldn't matter right? Just wanted to confirm before I burn a $20 x 4 light  :D

I think you are correct and they would work fine in a ceiling fan.

• They are not that heavy, compared to some other ZigBee bulbs (although they are not as light as Cree bulbs).
  • They are a pretty standard size (not oversized or extra long).
  • They do not seem to run that hot, but they do have a warning on the side of the box (which almost all bulbs do) "Do not install in totally enclosed fixtures", so if your fans have a glass dome that completely encloses the bulb that might be a concern. But honestly, I have a Tunable White one in a lamp right now, set to 100% brightness, and when I touch the bulb it barely feels warm at all. Actually the base of the bulb does heat up after it has been on for quite some time, but still does not seem to be more than any incandescent bulb.

I assume the lights in your ceiling fans are controlled by separate power switches from the fan motors, and you are planning to always leave the light switches on. You might cause some problems if you are turning power to the bulbs off and on all the time via a wall switch because I think when they are powered the bulbs will act as "repeaters" in your ZigBee network, and other devices may start routing messages through those bulbs, and then if you turn off power to them those other devices may no longer be able to communicate with the rest of your network. It should be fine if you are not turning off power, but are just turning off the bulbs (via IRIS), but if you are removing power to the bulb in order to turn it off then I think it is possible it could cause some problems, but I'm not sure. I don't know how quickly the ZigBee network repairs itself if a "repeater" is removed.

No I plan to leave them on. I bought 4 yesterday from Lowes, and surprisingly, although they are the same kind, they have different PNs.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Lightify-9-5-Watt-60W-Equivalent-2-700K-A19-Medium-Base-E-26-Dimmable-Soft-White-LED-Bulb-with-Built-In-WiFi/999910805

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Lightify-9-5-Watt-60W-Equivalent-2-700K-A19-Dimmable-Soft-White-LED-Bulb-with-Built-In-WiFi/50414584

Anyone know why? I bought 2 of each to try them out. Will update results. My only guess is one is an older part.

I've been reading every thread I can find about light bulbs, including that Cree thread most recently, and I'm unable to figure out whether *any* bulbs out there will definitely (or almost definitely) work.  I really want to get this figured out before going on vacation.  So:  Are there any bulbs that I can buy that will at-least-almost definitely work?

My Sylvania LED Spotlights work fine.

I have had them in my ceiling fan for several months now, work fine with no issues.

So, my GE Winks, after being connected to the Wink (full) hub, are perfectly reliable.

Yeah. Dead serious. I said it. Reliable.

Know what I did?

I replaced perfectly "good" wall switches. Issues completely went away. I haven't tried moving them back to Iris.

No I plan to leave them on. I bought 4 yesterday from Lowes, and surprisingly, although they are the same kind, they have different PNs.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Lightify-9-5-Watt-60W-Equivalent-2-700K-A19-Medium-Base-E-26-Dimmable-Soft-White-LED-Bulb-with-Built-In-WiFi/999910805

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Lightify-9-5-Watt-60W-Equivalent-2-700K-A19-Dimmable-Soft-White-LED-Bulb-with-Built-In-WiFi/50414584

Anyone know why? I bought 2 of each to try them out. Will update results. My only guess is one is an older part.

Hey woofboy, did both of those models of A19 bulbs you linked to work with your Iris V2 system? I have one bulb that matches the second link you provided (model 73824) but my local store now seems to have the version in your first link (model 73893) and I was wondering if they will work the same.

Thanks

Yeah they both seem to work fine. Honestly, I still don't know the difference. Even my Lowe's store couldn't find the other kind when I went to buy them. I was just curious and had to get someone to find them for me (they showed in stock online), and they were in a totally different aisle, and seemed dusty, like they'd been there for a while.

I have 5 of the GE A19 Soft white bulbs that work perfectly with IRIS on V2.  I had several of the GE Link A19 Daylight PQC10-DY01 that will not work with V2.  I picked the daylight ones up from Home Depot on clearance and used them in some spaces where I did not mind the daylight color.  They worked perfectly on V1, but after I migrated to V2 they stopped working.  I did read somewhere that these bulbs have a newer firmware than the soft white bulbs as the will not work with my Quirky Link hub as well, from what I understand the only hubs these bulbs work with is a Wink Hub.